The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Recommend me: Ultralight auto edition. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30089)

ThetaReactor 12-05-2005 10:25 PM

Recommend me: Ultralight auto edition.

So I'm driving a Buick.

I'll admit that I have a soft spot for big GMs. My first car was an 82 Impala, and they do ride quite well. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy. This 84 Regal is the same way.

It's just not fun.

So I'm looking at cars. I'm thinking of spending maybe $6k, either to buy an older used car outright or as a down payment on something slightly newer.

I'd like to get something rather light. I've never owned a vehicle weighing less than 3000lbs., but I like the, um, tossability found in lightweight cars. The increased sense of speed and the tactile handling.

The contenders:

VW Scirocco, first-gen: Vaguely practical hatchback configuration. Shares parts with the Golf and Jetta. Classic "folded paper" Guigiuaro design. Round headlights are just damn sexy.

Toyota MR2, first-gen: MR configuration. Lotus-inspired suspension and design. Supercharger option.

Toyota MR2 Spyder: Newer, thus likely in better shape. First-gen weight, second-gen power. Convertible. Still no cargo space.

Those are the ones I'm seriously considering. Other little things like an old Datsun 510 have crossed my mind.

So, aside from telling me to buy another SVX [give me time, my heart's still broken...], who knows something of featherweight cars? I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing.

Radar 12-06-2005 01:03 AM

Try the older Mazdas, e.g. the MX-6 (GE, series 2) - not a real featherweight but reliable and with lots of space in the boot.

The first series (GD) is even lighter but doesn't have enough power. And almost extinct here.

Gravija 12-06-2005 01:10 AM

ever consider a 944?
a legacy turbo is about 3000 lbs
maybe the FC generation of RX7's? i don't know how much those weigh, but im willing to bet they're not that much heavier than an FD
last thing i can think of would be an integra/prelude...those are kind of light i think

Dengue 12-06-2005 05:15 AM

I had an 81 Scirocco S and outside of the fact that they look cool, there is a seemingly unlimited number of things you can do to it. As I understand it the best motor swap for the mk I was the Rabbit 1.8T. (I was to lazy/cheap to do it myself)

there used to be some really nice body kits for it too, but they are a little hard to come by now...

Skip

ThetaReactor 12-06-2005 02:02 PM

I'd love to have a Porsche, they just seem to have this "unattainable" air about them. I can just picture the dollar signs popping up in the insurance agent's eyes...

Hocrest 12-06-2005 02:07 PM

Why not keep it in the Alcyone family and get an XT6. They are great cars to drive and $6k could buy you one in great condition with some left over. :D :D

Gravija 12-06-2005 06:31 PM

one i forgot...miata

Manarius 12-06-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Why not keep it in the Alcyone family and get an XT6. They are great cars to drive and $6k could buy you one in great condition with some left over. :D :D

Then boost it! :D

ThetaReactor 12-06-2005 06:41 PM

Well, I don't want to sound like a heretic here, but I simply don't like the XTs. Don't particularly like the looks, and the performance isn't impressive enough to make up for it.

gest24 12-06-2005 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThetaReactor

VW Scirocco, first-gen: Vaguely practical hatchback configuration. Shares parts with the Golf and Jetta. Classic "folded paper" Guigiuaro design. Round headlights are just damn sexy.

The Rocco is a great pick. It's my second car that I'm in work on a motor swap. So many parts in that car can be swaped and upgraded with parts from car as new as a MK3 VW and the lack of power steering adds nicely to the driving fun. An XT6 is also an awesome car, just make sure you get a manual.

elvis 12-06-2005 07:18 PM

There is nothing, NOTHING like the last round of RX-7s. I had a 94, and it was the most fun car I've owned. Well, the most fun except the SVX :-)