The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hit & Run (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23182)

Earthworm 12-11-2004 04:11 PM

Hit & Run

1 Attachment(s)
Yup, my car is hurt again.

Happened sunday Dec 5 at 2pm in front of my house.

Details:
1994 (or so) Blazer/Jimmy 4dr with a crazy driver spun out of control, dragged his rear bumper along the side of my car, stopped on the curb then drove away.

I saw the vehicle but before I realized he hit my car he was already gone. I took pictures of everything and reported it to the police.

I've already had the damage assessed at $1500+ but will probably be more because the body shop that is doing the repair said they would need more time to fix it properly.

I've attached a pic of the scene and am curious if everyone thinks the rear quarter panel is fixable or should be replaced.

This will be the 4th time I've had damage done to the same door. I kinda wish something would happen to the OTHER side of the car for once...I want to complete the repaint :)

TorG0d 12-11-2004 08:46 PM

I would just replace it. I mean, it has at least 1 crease in the metal. You could have it pounded out and repainted, but that's not a real "fix", that's just a coverup IMHO.

Chiketkd 12-11-2004 08:54 PM

That SOB! :mad:

I think you might be able to get away w/o replacing the rear quarter panel, but as TorG0d mentioned, it'll just be a good cover-up (depending on the quality of your body-shop's work). ;)

-Chike

Royal Tiger 12-11-2004 09:11 PM

Can't canadians drive? You'd think they would be used to the snow and all.

awdsvx 12-11-2004 10:25 PM

drivers side quarter panel

Hey, I know someone that was selling a brand new, never installed drivers side rear quarter panel on E Bay. I should know because I bought the passenger side rear quarter panel. He tried to sell me the drivers side cause the other buyer he had changed his mind. Why am I geting a passenger side quarter you are wondering??? 7 years ago, my car was hit by a piace of crap G.M. car on the passenger side. quarter. I have since then got it fixed, but did not replace the quarter. I just can not stand knowing there is some bondo there. Let me know, and I will get in touch of the person that sold me mine. He located in Oregon.

P.S. I hate G.M. products!!!!!!!!!!! I also don't like the fact that 20% of Fuji Heavy Industries is owned by G.M. Makes me consider my next car, which has to be AWD be a Audi A4 or Volvo S60 Type R!

Seraph 12-11-2004 11:09 PM

worst case, I have that side and the other side up for grab from the 94

SHISVX 12-12-2004 04:54 AM

david, that really burns me! hunt him down and put a can of whoop ass on him!'

Kelli

ensteele 12-12-2004 09:36 AM

Why can't people take responsibility for their actions. :(

Andy 12-12-2004 01:14 PM

Re: drivers side quarter panel

Quote:

Originally posted by awdsvx
Makes me consider my next car, which has to be AWD be a Audi A4 or Volvo S60 Type R!
You enjoy walking? :D

bigtketz165 12-12-2004 02:57 PM

i definately would not try to repair the panel, it would take a long time, cost a lot, and probably not look so good because it looks as if the metal is creased.

p.s. that really sucks bro. i had an 85 caddy deville that was mint and only had 46000 miles on it, and got rear ended so hard it totaled the car. after threatening a lawsuit to the insurance company they agreed to fix it but the panels just didnt look the same......

SilverSpear 12-13-2004 02:44 AM

this is the worst place an SVX could be hit on, I wish the hit was directly on the door alone... that son of a b... ch!!! the worst damn place !!! the bodywork guy cannot neither access it from the trunk nor underneath the rear upholstery... he will have to cut an opening in the metal above the rear wheel, do his thing properly and then weld it back...
I wish you catch this guy, sincerely !!!

Earthworm 12-13-2004 02:28 PM

I hope the bodyshop determines that the panel would be cheaper to replace than to fix. If they fix it I lose the zinc coating that prevents rust.

It probably won't get fixed until midway through January.

Some Canadians can drive...unfortunately none of them seem to live in Winnipeg. :(

I doubt I could arrange to have either my insurance or the bodyshop purchase the fender through ebay. Nor would they allow me to buy it then reimburse me. Anyone have the link to the ebay ad?

Lwin, how much for those panels and is there any rust on them? I might be able to use both sides.

I've been watching the street for that vehicle's return. So far no good. I even have my roommates watching for him and I promised $50 to the one who snaps pics of his vehicle w/damage. I've heard that getting caught with a hit & run costs either 12 points or your license depending who you ask.

If they still try to fix the panel and it doesn't look like new they will be hearing from me until it does.

awdsvx 12-13-2004 06:42 PM

You enjoy walking?

Hey Andy,

The SVX is nice car, but has many faults, I have replaced the transmission with one directly from Subaru, wheel bearsing twice on the rear, sun roof, would not close, warped rotors, and just recently new inner and outer CVC boots up front. I love my SVX, but there are better more reliable cars out there. Oh did I mention the Volvo S60 Type R has AWD and 300 H.P. to back it up!!!!You enjoy walking?

Andy 12-14-2004 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by awdsvx
You enjoy walking?

Hey Andy,

The SVX is nice car, but has many faults, I have replaced the transmission with one directly from Subaru, wheel bearsing twice on the rear, sun roof, would not close, warped rotors, and just recently new inner and outer CVC boots up front. I love my SVX, but there are better more reliable cars out there. Oh did I mention the Volvo S60 Type R has AWD and 300 H.P. to back it up!!!!You enjoy walking?

My best mate is the after-sales manager for a multi brand dealer covering VAG, Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes and BMW. He know just how unreliable these cars are, so he has ignored his large staff discount available and has just bought a Subaru.

He doesn't like walking either.

SSSVX 12-14-2004 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
If they fix it I lose the zinc coating that prevents rust.

can you put the zinc coating by yourself or ask someone to do that?

that's not cool. can't tell the damage needs $1500? not US dollars right? good that you luck full coverage?

someone is really irresponsible. or if they get drunk, they should not drive!! my cars got hit too - hit-and-run - and i wouldn't even know who did that:rolleyes: