The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Lock up your daughters. Ron gets a 5 speed! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15702)

Ron Mummert 01-16-2004 09:35 PM

Lock up your daughters. Ron gets a 5 speed!

PROLOGUE:

Contrary to the majority of you guys/gals in here, I have always felt that the SVX SHOULD be an automatic in keeping with the GT cruiser/luxo/yuppie image it was created to portray. Also shear laziness on behalf of certain members of certain ages in here would dictate that an automatic definately has place in society. Were my trusty SVX slushbox to actually disintegrate one day, it will definately be replaced by another automatic, even if I have to buy a used Legacy box from Somewhat-Honest Randy's Slightly Used Parts Store.

HOWEVER:

Every now & then one must grasp at the final vestiges of ever fading youth. Yeah - that's the ticket.

For the grand total of one hundred dollars, I bought a five speed tranny! The catch is it's attached to a '93 Nissan (forgive me, Lawd), 240SX. I won't bore you (yet) with how this came to be, only that the car has 228,000 miles on it, needs a few hundred bucks in repairs, & is painted Laguna (Nissan's version) blue & has one tiny door ding. This rear wheel drive thing hauls ass! (Oops, I mean exhibits spirited acceleration & positive handling characteristics).
This car shall be referred to henceforth as "THE EVIL HALF-BROTHER"
More later unless I'm voted off the island.

Ron (now more than half Japanese).

SVXRide 01-16-2004 09:42 PM

Ron,
sounds like perfect Autocross material...Mike didn't "hook you up" with it, did he??
-Bill

ensteele 01-16-2004 09:47 PM

Ron - what does that make me? (bad with Math) Maybe I don't want you to answer that. :rolleyes: :D

Ron Mummert 01-16-2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Ron,
sounds like perfect Autocross material...Mike didn't "hook you up" with it, did he??
-Bill

Yes, Bill, the concept of autocross & "whatcha' got to lose"?
definately autocrossed my mind when spending my hard earned hunnert dollar bill on this baby. I plan to hook up Mike with a repair schedule when the ground thaws.

Ron (Vroom soon).

Ron Mummert 01-16-2004 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele

Ron - what does that make me? (bad with Math) Maybe I don't want you to answer that. :rolleyes: :D

I'll answer anyway, Samurai-san.

So there.

Ron-san.

wawazat?? 01-17-2004 04:15 PM

Nice find Ron. Now spend some time over at www.freshalloy.com and you'll be all hukt-up dawg!

y0

Todd

Ron Mummert 01-17-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
Nice find Ron. Now spend some time over at www.freshalloy.com and you'll be all hukt-up dawg!

y0

Todd

Thanks, Todd. I already done got hook-ded up at www.240SX.org. Huge group of youngins', but remarkably civil. My post count is up to 5. The format is similar to this one. When you enter your sign-up bio data, "other cars" shows up under your post name. In response to my "Hi, I'm a newbie" post, two guys noticed the SVX, & did the, "Wow, Cool", "I always liked those", etc.

Ron (now a front wheel, rear wheel & all wheel driver).

SVXRide 01-17-2004 09:34 PM

Ron,
I need to correct myself...with the 240SX we should be looking forward to seeing you compete in "Drifting" competitions. You should probably talk to Harry to see if you can't get some of his autocross tires when they're so worn down he can't use them anymore...:eek: :D
-Bill (wondering what a good nickname for Ron would be..."DriftDog"?)

DWayne2910 01-17-2004 09:58 PM

Way to go, Ron...First you're shiftless, now you're shifty...Can "beady - eyed" be far behind?

CigarJohnny 01-20-2004 09:23 AM

I always thought you were shifty, Ron! ;)

As far as the 240 goes, nice find! I've always wanted those to toy with. Would make a great autocrosser and better yet...a drifter. Mmmm...rear wheel drive sports car. If I recall, those cars have excellent shift feel to them with mechanical linkage directly on the tranny. How exactly did you come across a cosmetic beauty like this with apparently minimal internal issues for only $100? What all does it need to be road worthy again? Let's see some pics! :)

-Johnny (dreams of being shifty again instead of shiftless)

Ron Mummert 01-20-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I always thought you were shifty, Ron! ;)

As far as the 240 goes, nice find! I've always wanted those to toy with. Would make a great autocrosser and better yet...a drifter. Mmmm...rear wheel drive sports car. If I recall, those cars have excellent shift feel to them with mechanical linkage directly on the tranny. How exactly did you come across a cosmetic beauty like this with apparently minimal internal issues for only $100? What all does it need to be road worthy again? Let's see some pics! :)

-Johnny (dreams of being shifty again instead of shiftless)

I keep hearing this "drifting" term. My late wife accused me of being a drifter, but I never knew it was a compliment.

Isn't automotive drifting just a way to wear tires away, a six inch patch at a time?

Yes, the crisp shifter was a deal maker. The seller had spent gobs of recent money on brakes, belts, waterpump etc. & then the radiator crapped out. It was one of those "final straw" situations, & with over 200K on the car, he just wanted to push it over a cliff. I just happened to standing in the way waving a complimentary hunnet dolla' bill.

I've ordered a new radiator, & it'll need a new windshield to pass inspection. Since this isn't an SVX, both items will set me back a combined $300.00.

Since I'm scanner challanged, no pictures. Imagine a good body, one or two tiny dings, scuzzy paint on hood, & needs vacuuming.

Ron (driftin' & dreamin')

CigarJohnny 01-20-2004 12:02 PM

Isn't it great to be in the right place at the right time for a change, Ron? :)

-Johnny (been there once or twice but not often enough)

Noir 01-20-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny the drifter.Isn't it great to be in the right place at the right time for a change.
I'm always at the right place at the wrong time. It makes life very exciting.

<Harry looks around Reading and thinks, 'Either I'm very late or very early. Which is it?'>

immortal_suby 01-20-2004 05:23 PM

I just raced a 240 from 40mph to 100 and the son of a gun kept within a car length behind me the whole time!

Didn't get a chance to talk other than a thumbs up but this thing couldn't have been stock, could it?
It was loud, but other than that - ?

Ron is gonna be fast and furious, dawg!

Ron Mummert 01-20-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I just raced a 240 from 40mph to 100 and the son of a gun kept within a car length behind me the whole time

Hmmm...It must have been a young man of good breeding who politely backed off so as not to humiliate a more expensive motor car.

Ron is gonna be fast and furious, dawg!

My new radiator was delivered today.
Be very, very afraid, guys.

Ron(Get my drift?).