The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Homeschooler SVX racer (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18135)

svxhunter 01-01-2004 01:11 PM

Homeschooler SVX racer

OK, so I've been lurking for a long while- made a few comments here and there. This is a great site with a lot of great interaction!!:) :)

Several of you have expressed an interest in what we are doing so I thought this would be the best place to post a bit of an online journal of our project.

I am working with a group of homeschoolers in south Georgia on a project SVX. We are preparing it to run in the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge in Gainesville FL in April.

The race is a combination of three events- drag strip, autocross, and concourse judging for appearance. The one limiting factor is that you can't spend more than $2004 on the car- including purchase price and all modifications.

Our car is a '92 LSL dragged from a field of weeds and saved from a dealer in Alabama getting ready to crush it. It is going through extensive mods to prepare it for the competition, some of which would probably rub SVX afficienados the wrong way. We still think they beat the crusher.;)

When we are done, it will be a track only car. It will have extensive weight reduction, most of it's luxury features gone, suspension mods, race interior, race exterior appearance, underdrive, air intake mods, and run on nitrous.

Our goal is a top 3 finish in the autocross, a top 5 finish in the concourse, and a top 15 finish at the drags for a top 10 finish overall.

We are using it as an educational opportunity for a group of a dozen or so homeschooled students. Most of the work is being done by students.

This project has made me a bit of an SVX fan myself. I am now driving a '95 AWD and loving it!:D :D This one is being treated with more respect. I am hoping to later incorporate much of what I learn from the race into my street ride!!;)

Several members of this forum have already participated and been a great help.

We call ourselves Team HomesCool, and our car is the SVXtra.

I'll get some pics out here as well as continue to update.

Keep cruisin!

-Paul

ensteele 01-01-2004 01:19 PM

That sounds like a great project. Good luck with it and keep up updated from time to time. This ought to be a lot of fun. :)

wawazat?? 01-01-2004 01:34 PM

I read GRM regularly and love the Challenges. Good luck with it. I'll be looking forward to seeing you in print!

Todd

CigarJohnny 01-01-2004 01:47 PM

What an excellent project! I think what you are doing is awesome and would love to see a lot of photos of the project developement. It'll be cool to see a SVX trimmed down to fighting weight and put through the wringer. I anxiously await news of the project's progress. :)

svxhunter 01-01-2004 06:54 PM

Bethlehem !?!

Chase a rabbit for a moment- where are you in Bethlehem? I used to live on Center Street!

-Paul

Green1995SVX 01-01-2004 07:21 PM

I think what you guys are doing is awesome! I'm excited to see pictures of your progress and to see how you do in the competition. Best of luck to you and your friends!

Mike

mbtoloczko 01-01-2004 07:50 PM

Cool project. I am also interested in seeing pictures and a list of the mods. Good luck!

Chicane 01-01-2004 10:14 PM

Homeschooled people= WEIRD
SVX= WEIRD

Sounds like a perfect match! ;)

- Rob

NomadTW 01-01-2004 10:28 PM

2004 dollars eh...

sounds like a large shot nitrous kit is in order

are you allowed sponsors? freebies?

perhaps a loaner turbo kit or something from a sponsor would be inorder...

barrow it put stickers on the car, get advertisement win competition and give it back they sell it for a couple hundred dollars less everyone wins

a set of rota wheels sounds in order, 500/set good looking and wide, and worth keeping for your daily driver when your done cause they're strong and light.

the lightening project sounds great, but with the budget or without sponsors iduno how far you will get

NikFu S. 01-01-2004 11:44 PM

pics pics pics. i wanna see it stripped.

Aredubjay 01-02-2004 12:36 AM

As a homeschool dad (weird), I'm jealous that we didn't have a project like this before my kids were out of homeschool. :)

Keep the weirdness going. I look forward to hearing about your project.

svxhunter 01-02-2004 10:36 AM

No sponsors, freebies, or loaners. Donated stuff has to be counted at fair market value. We're better off buying stuff cheap (auctions, flea markets, used, e-bay, other creative ideas)

The mod list would be extremely different with a different budget. I'm developing two sets of opinions on the best mods- low budget and high budget. I'll try to put together a list later on.

Yes, yes, yes, I'll do the pics. The car's pretty stripped right now. I'm more impressed with the look of the guts than the trim. What a great piece of engineering!!:D :D

Weird. OK. You ought to see my driveway- the '92 racer sitting next to my '95 touring sitting next to my '60 el camino hot rod!! I guess I'll have to do that pic too- I'll wait for that one 'till the racer looks a little better!:cool: Weird.;) ;)

-Paul

CigarJohnny 01-02-2004 01:26 PM

Why wait till you start adding back? I think we'd all love to see some pieces of this stripped down engineering marvel as much as we'd like to see the finished product. :)

-Johnny

RSVX 01-02-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Why wait till you start adding back? I think we'd all love to see some pieces of this stripped down engineering marvel as much as we'd like to see the finished product. :)

-Johnny

seconded

svxhunter 01-02-2004 03:28 PM

A couple Pics

1 Attachment(s)
OK, OK

Here goes. I'll try for some better ones later.

I'm kind of challenged with this stuff. Let me know if the attachments don't work.

-Paul

btw- I drove the SVXtra today. 700 lbs lighter- very quick. The center of gravity is now higher- body roll even more evident, weight distribution changed. Next weekend we'll deal with the suspension.

Can anyone tell me how to attach more than 1 pic?