The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Upcoming Meets (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Subaru Challenge in Maryland **Autocross Meet** (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26895)

GreenMarine 06-20-2005 12:46 PM

Subaru Challenge in Maryland **Autocross Meet**

Alright guys, it is that time of year again :D:D The Subaru Challenge events are posted and the closk is counting down to the first event. That event is the Baltimore, MD event. Here are some ideas that I came up with for the event:

- Combined North/South SVX Meet (Kinda like the "North meets South" meets that they have on NASIOC)
- BBQ in the parking lot for those just there for a show.
- Atleast 5 SVXi should run in the challenge
- Plenty of Video footage to make a few movies of the event :)

THose are just ideas of things that I would like to see happen. First though, we need to see if anyone is even interested in going to the event and running in it...

All the event details can be found here --> http://www.subaruchallenge.com/

Registration is completly online and is capped at 125 drivers.

Lets get a list of interested persons started!! I know this will be a blast... My first AutoX was last year at the Subaru Challenge in Atlanta. All I can say is "I'm hooked for LIFE!!!" COme on out and have GOOD, SAFE FUN in your SVX :)... Show those NASIOC WRX owners what a SVX is capable of :)

One of the whole reasons that I want to put this meet on is that I don't think that more than one SVX has ever run in a Subaru Challenge at a time... Lets blow that outta the water with atleast 5 people this year :D:cool:!!

GreenMarine 06-20-2005 12:47 PM

Interested:
- GreenMarineSVX (Chris)

Hocrest 06-20-2005 01:11 PM

1. GreenMarineSVX (Chris)
2. Hocrest

Chiketkd 06-20-2005 05:44 PM

From the site:

2005 Southeast / Penn-Jersey / New England Multi-Region Subaru Challenge Event
Ripken Field - Baltimore, Maryland - September 17th, 2005

More Details Coming Soon!
7:30am - 8:30am Check-In & Tech at event site Grid Cars ( for all heats ) Course open for walk-through
8:30am- 9:00am Novice Walk Through
9:00am - 9:15am Driver's Meeting ( Mandatory )
9:15am - 12:30pm Heats 1 & 2
12:30pm - 1:00pm Lunch Break
1:00pm - 4:00pm Heats 3 & 4
4:15pm - 5:00pm Super Star Challenge
5:00pm - 5:30pm Awards

...oh btw, I'm in!!!! :cool:

2. Hocrest
3. Chiketkd (need a helmet)

-Chike

P.S. Chris, since you've done one of these events before, any idea what it costs to enter? :confused:

n00b on demand 06-20-2005 07:22 PM

I would come down but sept 17th happens to be my dads death anniversary so i dont think ill be able to make it. But my dad was also a subaru fanatic like I am and i think it would the ultimate tribute to him to run my SVX :)

SVXRide 06-20-2005 07:51 PM

I'm in!
-Bill

Chiketkd 06-20-2005 07:55 PM

Updated list...

2. Hocrest
4. SVXRide

-Chike

P.S. Btw Chris, is this autoX event going to be a free-for-all, or are they going to have classes: G-stock, etc...

rvnmaniac 06-20-2005 08:04 PM

I can't belive this i live in Baltimore but will be in Tenn from the 14th of Sep to the 19th................

immortal_suby 06-20-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd

P.S. Btw Chris, is this autoX event going to be a free-for-all, or are they going to have classes: G-stock, etc...

The greenville subaru challenge a few years ago was classed - but they didn't really pay very close attention. With rims and exhaust I was still classed in G-stock. Probably because I was the only svx and they didn't really know where to put me.

Anyone in the area should make it a point to be there - the all subaru event is a great time.

GreenMarine 06-20-2005 08:36 PM

Quote:

Yes, there will be classes... Looks like the guys that have changed gears to 4.11 or 4.44 will get shafted and be stuck in SM like I am... That's alright though... You'll just be running against modified STi's :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yea, the classing is really up to you to put yourself into the appropate class when you sign up... They will do "Tech" the morning of the competition to make sure that ya aren't cheating, so look over the rules for each class on the SCCA Website if you doubt anything... But I can pretty much promise you that with any "non-stock" gear changes, you will be placed in SM.... Since I will be in SM, I am not looking to win anything, just have good runs and beat out some WRX's (Possibly an STi or two *depending on the driver*)...

Here is what I am doing since I am stuck in SM:
- Exedy Light weight Flywheel (13lbs)
- Perrin Lightweight crank pully (1.2lbs)
- New "special" brake fluid
- New pads
- *Possibly Slotted Rotors*
- Either "Zip-tied" lines or Stainless Steel Lines
- Urithane Swaybar Bushings
- Take everything that I don't need out of the car

Everything else is up to me to make a good run. I am pretty confident that I should be able to get the Green Monster into the top 1/3rd of the SM final results.

Biggest thing is weight... FOr those of you that are stuck in a class that you KNOW that you won't be competitave in, Lighten the car and work on your Brakes and Suspension as much as possible!!! OUR H-6 engine is great for AutoX... Now the car just needs to be lighter... I can't remember the ruls as far as lightening the car, but I am pretty sure that all the interior components have to remain, but can be replaced with lighter aftermarket ones (Seats, ect...) You have about 2 1/2 months to figure out how to be competitave (if that is what ya are there for) so get working!!! :):)

**P.S.> It's great to see such a large number of replies!!!

**SVXRide** I am looking forward to AutoXing with you!! :)

SVXRide 06-20-2005 08:55 PM

Chris,
Same back at you! I think your coil-overs and 5 spd will probably tip the tech folks off as to classifying you in SM :rolleyes: ;)
I honestly think Chike will be able to get into GS without any hassle - there isn't anything obviously out of bounds with his car - unless you're counting wheel revolutions you won't be able to tell he doesn't have the stock gears :cool:
I just bought another set of RX-7 rims, so maybe I'll bring another set of "sticky tires" for folks to try out (I'll probably drive up with the Hoosiers already mounted - it just better not rain!!! :eek: )
-Bill ("Bill Stock" and proud of it! :D )
p.s. Okay, Tom, bring that s/c beast of your's out of the wilderness!!

benebob 06-21-2005 09:29 AM

In Pittsburgh last year they just ran non turboed, turboed classes. Then just gave out prizes for the fasted overall time no pax.

I think we'll run ours in stock along side Bill :eek: .

benebob 06-21-2005 09:31 AM

2. Hocrest
4. SVXRide
5. Benebob

Chiketkd get a helmet off Ebay! You'll pay $50 or so for a new M2000 certified that'll last ya 5 years! Might even find a M2005 on there.

I believe the event was free for us last year.

SVXRide 06-21-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
In Pittsburgh last year they just ran non turboed, turboed classes. Then just gave out prizes for the fasted overall time no pax.

I think we'll run ours in stock along side Bill :eek: .

Ben,
cool! Care to take turns driving each other's car?

Chike,
I've got an extra helmet...just remember to remind me to bring it.

-Bill

benebob 06-21-2005 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Ben,
cool! Care to take turns driving each other's car?

Chike,

-Bill

Figured we could do that at Cumberland in a month. ;) It'll even have an awd tranny in it by then provided I ever get around to getting it out of the truck.

svxfiles 06-21-2005 10:57 AM

Quote:

p.s. Okay, Tom, bring that s/c beast of your's out of the wilderness!!

It does sound like a good time :)
, would I pass for Bill stock? :rolleyes:

Hocrest 06-21-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles

When they ask at registration, just tell them that it doesn't have a turbo ;)

We all know that there are no Superchargers made for the SVX :D :D

Dave
<Hoping svxfiles is in stock and not competing against us :D:D>

svxfiles 06-21-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest

Dave
<Hoping svxfiles is in stock and not competing against us :D:D>

So, Bill told me the idea is to hit as many cones as you can? :confused:

And Chi ke said he would bring me the traditional 50# sack of flour??

Drag racing sounds alot more simple. :)

Hocrest 06-21-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

So, Bill told me the idea is to hit as many cones as you can? :confused:

And Chi ke said he would bring me the traditional 50# sack of flour??

Autocrossing sounds like a lot more challenging and fun :)

Fixed your post ;) :D

Chiketkd 06-21-2005 02:05 PM

Quote:

Chike,

-Bill

Thanks a million Bill. I'll remind you! :)

-Chike

Chiketkd 06-21-2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

I honestly think Chike will be able to get into GS without any hassle - there isn't anything obviously out of bounds with his car - unless you're counting wheel revolutions you won't be able to tell he doesn't have the stock gears :cool:

Ha ha ha! G-stock it will be then! I'll run my *4.44-stock* SVX against Bill's *JDM-stock* SVX in G-stock! It'll be a blast... :cool:

-Chike

LarryIII 06-21-2005 02:13 PM

Should I bring canoli?

svxfiles 06-21-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Fixed your post ;) :D

Yes you did. :) Thank you for that. :)

It's just that some of us are easily distrac,,,,,,Oh look a birdy!

Chiketkd 06-21-2005 08:00 PM

Anyone, have an idea...

...of the approximate cost to compete? Also, when will the on-line reg begin?

-Chike

Hocrest 06-21-2005 08:10 PM

The cost I believe is free (sponsered by local dealers) I have no idea when registration will start???

benebob 06-24-2005 09:28 AM

Cost is $30 per participant according to the regulations section. What a CROCK SUBARU!!!

GreenMarine 06-24-2005 11:17 PM

Common guys.... $30 buys ya a bunch of cool things :)... Last year we got a Subaru Back pack, a bunch of stickers, a WRC Poster, Beer (Beverage) Coozie, and some other cool things...

It looks like we will meet that "5 car goal" that I was hoping to see :):)

Unfortunantly, it looks like myself and Tom (unless he declairs himself "Stock") will be in SM... Oh well, either way, the whole purpose is to have fun up there... Hope to see all of ya there :)

benebob 06-25-2005 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Common guys.... $30 buys ya a bunch of cool things :)... Last year we got a Subaru Back pack, a bunch of stickers, a WRC Poster, Beer (Beverage) Coozie, and some other cool things...

It looks like we will meet that "5 car goal" that I was hoping to see :):)

Unfortunantly, it looks like myself and Tom (unless he declairs himself "Stock") will be in SM... Oh well, either way, the whole purpose is to have fun up there... Hope to see all of ya there :)

And last years FREE event was even better including a $15 Subaru digital tire pressurg gauge. :D

SM, as you boys should be.

SVXRide 06-25-2005 06:43 AM

Quote:

And last years FREE event was even better including a $15 Subaru digital tire pressurg gauge. :D

SM, as you boys should be.

Yeah, what Ben said! :D :D :D
-Bill

Chiketkd 06-25-2005 09:06 PM

free -> $30 is always a big jump to take...

...but I wasn't there last year, and all that free Subaru stuff will be GREAT!!!! :cool:

-Chike

SVXRide 06-26-2005 10:55 AM

Quote:

Think we'd have to fabricate a few stealth covers first.... :rolleyes: :D
-Bill

benebob 06-26-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Think we'd have to fabricate a few stealth covers first.... :rolleyes: :D
-Bill

Since the S-C is where the battery used to be just make a fake battery cover. Shouldn't be too hard just cut one out of a dead battery. If they question why there's another one in the trunk just tell 'em she's a diesel :D

SVXRide 06-26-2005 02:20 PM

Quote:

Since the S-C is where the battery used to be just make a fake battery cover. If they question why there's another one in the trunk just tell 'em she's a diesel :D

If Tom wasn't such a good friend........

I'd make a reference to Saturday's times......hey, is this thing on? :eek: :D :D :D

-Bill (please don't kill me..... ;) )

svxfiles 06-27-2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

If Tom wasn't such a good friend........

I'd make a reference to Saturday's times......hey, is this thing on? :eek: :D :D :D

-Bill (please don't kill me..... ;) )

I know where you live,,,,,,,

bill mellish 06-28-2005 08:20 AM

SVX viewing

Last Sunday my daughter and I were heading home to St Louis from Maryland. We were in a caravan with a church youth group just having completed a week long work project. When we pulled off the highway to gas up we spotted a guy snoozing in a silver SVX. This caught our eye because we have an '84 and you don't see many in St. Lou. As we were pulling out another SVX pulled in. Okay now I've got my SVX radar on and as we're heading west I saw three more within 15 minutes coming east. It must have been you guys. Thanks for the great visuals! :)

newsvx 06-28-2005 08:40 PM

Count me in - I just hope I'll be able to make THIS one:

2. Hocrest
4. SVXRide
5. Benebob
6. newsvx (I'll bring an extra helmet)

This sounds like it should be a blast. And with a "bunch" of SVXi, they'll be blown away.

Harry

GreenMarine 06-28-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsvx
This sounds like it should be a blast. And with a "bunch" of SVXi, they'll be blown away.

Harry

Do ya know how many strange looks we will get there when we all come in :D:D:D

Would everyone be interested in meeting up somewhere for an early breakfast that morning and then driving in all at the same time??? I think that would just add to the effect :D:D

Is there someone that lives in the area that can scout out a good place to have breakfast that morning that isn't too far away from the event?

Let me know if ya can :)

Hocrest 06-28-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Is there someone that lives in the area that can scout out a good place to have breakfast that morning that isn't too far away from the event?

We've been to a few AX's at Ripken Field, there are a few shopping centers about a mile from the event, just south of Rte 95.

Chiketkd 06-28-2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Would everyone be interested in meeting up somewhere for an early breakfast that morning and then driving in all at the same time??? I think that would just add to the effect :D:D

Depends on what you call an early breakfast?! :p Seriously though, if you can walk the course beginning at 7:30am, I'm the type of guy that shows up at 7:00am to check-in and get that early sneak peak at the course.

If I met up for breakfast, it'll have to be around 6:30am at the latest.

Just ordered some more Dunlop SP Sports today (I love this tire - perfect compromise between street/strip/track) in the stock 225/50/16 size, and I should be doing my engine seals with Tomssvx on Saturday, July 9th. I should be all set to go by the meet! Those wrx/sti/legacy/impreza guys better watch out! ;)

-Chike (throwin' down the gauntlett! :p)

benebob 06-29-2005 06:34 AM

Quote:

Depends on what you call an early breakfast?! :p Seriously though, if you can walk the course beginning at 7:30am, I'm the type of guy that shows up at 7:00am to check-in and get that early sneak peak at the course.

If I met up for breakfast, it'll have to be around 6:30am at the latest.

Just ordered some more Dunlop SP Sports today (I love this tire - perfect compromise between street/strip/track) in the stock 225/50/16 size, and I should be doing my engine seals with Tomssvx on Saturday, July 9th. I should be all set to go by the meet! Those wrx/sti/legacy/impreza guys better watch out! ;)

-Chike (throwin' down the gauntlett! :p)

Yeah I tend to agree with Chike, breakfast is kinda tough to do when you got cars to prepare. However, if there is a big push for it I'll work on coming up with what is there.