The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I broke my speedometer when I pulled the dashboard (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41461)

immortal_suby 10-21-2007 03:33 PM

I broke my speedometer when I pulled the dashboard

I changed out my bad heater core this weekend with a used one (thanks again benebob/hocrest)
This requires removing the dashboard, console, dropping the steering column, and pulling the steering support beam back. Yes, it sucked.

Got it all back together, blew out the air bubbles, and I have heat again!

But - I no longer have a speedometer reading

Feeling stupid, I went through the whole process of removing everything and checked to find out what I left unplugged, pinched, or otherwise screwed up.

Didn't find anything. Wiggled all the connections I had played with just to make sure.

Put it all back together and still no speedo. The rest of the instrument cluster seems to work. Not sure on the gas gauge - time will tell with that.
Cruise control no longer works either.

Just feeling stupid.
I guess a used cluster will be my first (maybe cheapest) line of troubleshooting.
I hate to lose my mileage count (245k) :o

SilverSpear 10-21-2007 03:46 PM

Try to check the speedo part of the dash... maybe something is stuck or cut in the wirings.. check the back of the speedo and its related pins in the dash.

immortal_suby 10-21-2007 03:51 PM

I pulled the speedo cluster about 5 times and drove around each time. I even tried leaving the screws loose and wiggling it a little while driving. No luck. I took a good look at the wire tape and couldn't see any that were broken or anything. I also checked all the tabs on the sockets that it plugs into and they were all in good shape and bent out far enough to make good contact.

It was pretty frustrating.
And all I have left in the fridge is corona light and a few lagers. And it's no beer sales sunday in SC :(

Crazy_pilot 10-21-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 502848)
And all I have left in the fridge is corona light and a few lagers. And it's no beer sales sunday in SC :(

:eek::eek:That's a crime!:p

Trevor 10-21-2007 05:02 PM

Don't panic. :eek: It is very likely that fuse No. 15 is blown, as this fuse covers both the speedometer and fuel gauge circuits. :)

P.S. You are very lucky that I checked your thread, because the heading in no way describes the problem and it should be within the technical section.:confused: Refer sticky covering this issue! :p

immortal_suby 10-21-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 502864)
Don't panic. :eek: It is very likely that fuse No. 15 is blown, as this fuse covers both the speedometer and fuel gauge circuits. :)

P.S. You are very lucky that I checked your thread, because the heading in no way describes the problem and it should be within the technical section.:confused: Refer sticky covering this issue! :p

Thanks Trevor,
I checked all of the fuses quickly earlier today. I'll go out now and pull each one again to double check. (I blew up my test light a while ago)

Since this thread is turning more to tech help than just me drowning in my sorrow I'll go ahead and move it a and re-title it. :)

immortal_suby 10-21-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 502853)
:eek::eek:That's a crime!:p

To make matters worse, I found a bottle of Genesee Cream Ale in the back of the beer fridge.

Drinking it now.

immortal_suby 10-21-2007 06:40 PM

Checked all the fuses - they all are complete.
I really need a test light to verify they are all getting power though.

I don't see one labeled as anything related to speedo (maybe meter?) and can't figure out which is # 15 on this diagram but I checked each one for a break. All of the fuses under the hood are complete also.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...Fuse_Cover.jpg

Trevor 10-21-2007 07:03 PM

Congratulations on the reply.:)

I would say that the applicable fuse is that labelled “ Meter SRS Lamp. ;)

The wiring involved is automotive stupid and involves a duplicated circuit, so that a fault regarding connections would appear unlikely, but who knows? If the fuse is intact you must have disturbed something, somehow, somewhere.:eek:

immortal_suby 10-21-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 502899)
Congratulations on the reply.:)

I would say that the applicable fuse is that labelled “ Meter SRS Lamp. ;)

The wiring involved is automotive stupid and involves a duplicated circuit, so that a fault regarding connections would appear unlikely, but who knows? If the fuse is intact you must have disturbed something, somehow, somewhere.:eek:

That's what scares me. I fear that I pushed a 15 year old wire to it's limit. I am hoping that some random electron caused the speedo to fry when removed and a replacement will fix it. Unfortunately the truth will be far from it. I'll be chasing spiderwebs of wire for a long time. The cruise wouldn't stop working just because the speedo display stopped. It has to be sensor or wiring related.

wawazat?? 10-21-2007 09:02 PM

Mr. Dumas

You have PM

Trevor 10-21-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 502909)
That's what scares me. I fear that I pushed a 15 year old wire to it's limit. I am hoping that some random electron caused the speedo to fry when removed and a replacement will fix it. Unfortunately the truth will be far from it. I'll be chasing spiderwebs of wire for a long time. The cruise wouldn't stop working just because the speedo display stopped. It has to be sensor or wiring related.

If the fuel gauge is not working as well as the speedometer, it must be a wiring, connector, or fuse issue. It could hardly be possible for both instruments, to have failed at the same time

svxual 10-22-2007 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 502895)
Checked all the fuses - they all are complete.
I really need a test light to verify they are all getting power though.

I don't see one labeled as anything related to speedo (maybe meter?) and can't figure out which is # 15 on this diagram but I checked each one for a break. All of the fuses under the hood are complete also.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...Fuse_Cover.jpg

ok tell me where you found that fuse box?? i aint got one of them i dont think

SilverSpear 10-22-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxual (Post 503001)

LoooooooooooooooooooooooooL.... check near your left foot inside the car :p
All Japs are like that... one near the left foot and the other inside the engine bay

Speedklix 10-22-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxual (Post 503001)

if you have an abused one, it probably doesn't have the cover...
its in the same place as most subis