The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Air Conditioning (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34697)

SVX_MY_BABY 08-11-2006 03:27 PM

Air Conditioning

Had a strange thing happen the other day. The air conditioning would not blow air out of the dash vents. I tried econo and vent settings; no change. Air will go to the wind screen in defrost or to the floor only on other settings.

Any ideas what to look for to fix this one?

Earthworm 08-11-2006 03:35 PM

Stuck lever under the dash. Check it out.

immortal_suby 08-11-2006 03:51 PM

check by the drivers side where your right foot would be. there is a white plastic arm with a rod attached to it in a black channel. when you change from heat to AC this rod should slide in the channel which changes the vent flow. If you clean and regrease this channel it should work fine.
try switching the ac to hot/cold and then give the rod a little push and it should go.

I'll try to post a pic - it's not the easiest object to describe.

immortal_suby 08-11-2006 04:11 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...suby/37482.jpg

in this picture the rod is in the furthest down position which equals cold air/ dash vent flow

SVX_MY_BABY 09-03-2006 07:48 AM

Well I finally got to looking at the levers. The track was clean with no sign that it had ever been greased. I greased it but it made no diff. Greased the other 2 white movable channels too and the pivot areas. Still sticks. Once you give it a push past where it sticks, it will move from heat to cold setting on it's own. It easily goes to defrost on it's own, but gets stuck in the full heat to floor position after that when taken off of defrost. Almost seems like there is someting inside blocking things as it takes a fair amount of pressure to get past where it is sticking an lets go with a thunk.

SVXRide 09-03-2006 11:34 AM

there are motors with potentiometers built in that move these levers. It's very possible that they're on their way out...
-Bill

SVX_MY_BABY 09-04-2006 08:21 AM

When the motor is moving it seems as though it is a step motor rather than a continuos movement, except when it goes to defrost.

Earthworm 09-05-2006 12:07 PM

Any furry creatures in there?

SVX_MY_BABY 11-13-2006 01:45 PM

It was mild yesterday so I punched the vent button and a rush of air came out the dash vents. Later after dark when it was cool I hit AUTO and nice warm air came out the vents as well as on the floor. Go figure. That's my kind of repair.:eek:

bwb3 02-12-2007 07:31 AM

Help with AC Problem?

Yesterday, I set the temperature at 64 degrees to cool off the car and it was blowing heated (hot) air out the dash vents. It should at least have been blowing the 74 degree outside temperature. Turned up the temperature and the hot air comes out the bottom of the dash. Still doing it today. Doesn't sound like the fix recommended above. Any idea what valve may be stuck?
Gene

svxfiles 02-12-2007 07:40 AM

The temp heat blend door is on the passenger side.
Two rods, one motor.

bwb3 02-14-2007 09:56 AM

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Oh, and it blows hot on vent also. Full off is the only way to stop the heat. Looks like the glove box is going to have to come out first. These cars sure don't have a lot of working room wherever you look.
Gene

Earthworm 06-01-2007 07:36 PM

Someone should have checked for climate control error codes. Instructions in the SVXipedia.

bwb3 08-06-2007 08:49 AM

Problem Solved Report

Problem was heated hot air was blowing out the dash vents on cold settings and under the dash on hot settings (as it should).
Code check came back #33 faulty Air Mix Door motor circuit. This is located on the bottom of the heater box and can be accessed by going on your back under the dash on the passengers side. No need to remove the glove box.
With the motor unbolted and unhooked from the 2 actuator rods, an electrical test was done. The motor worked but when under load with the actuator rods attached, it bogged down. Turns out the nylon internal gears are worn. Solution was to replace the motor unit with one out of a parts car.
Many thanks to Budfreak for the help.
Gene

mohrds 08-06-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3
Problem was heated hot air was blowing out the dash vents on cold settings and under the dash on hot settings (as it should).
Code check came back #33 faulty Air Mix Door motor circuit. This is located on the bottom of the heater box and can be accessed by going on your back under the dash on the passengers side. No need to remove the glove box.
With the motor unbolted and unhooked from the 2 actuator rods, an electrical test was done. The motor worked but when under load with the actuator rods attached, it bogged down. Turns out the nylon internal gears are worn. Solution was to replace the motor unit with one out of a parts car.
Many thanks to Budfreak for the help.
Gene

Before you toss the dead one, see if there is a part number for those of us without a parts car :)

Thanks!