The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   misfiring? other possible problems? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39962)

SVXgarcia 07-27-2007 08:41 AM

misfiring? other possible problems?

Ok here's the deal. Nothing was wrong with the engine until it was switched over to another SVX. Everything worked well no loss of power or misfiring.
The timing, valve cover gaskets, main seals were replaced before putting the engine back in the car

Once the engine was finally on the other SVX there seems to be a misfiring or loss of power only during take off. When idling the car wants to stall but It doesn't. I have changed the spark plugs but no help. No CEL lights or anything else.
What could have gone wrong? If everything was fine until the engine was switched.

SVXgarcia 07-27-2007 10:56 AM

I did the following test posted by SVXfiles
"If you want to find out which cylinder is misfiring, while the engine is idling, you can disconnect, one at a time, the fuel injector connections.
If it gets worse on five cylinders, and has no change on one of them, that is where your miss is.
Remove that coil and plug and check it to see if it has spark."

They all seem to make the engine worse there isn't one that has no change.

AlcyoneDaze 07-27-2007 11:13 AM

Im just throwing this out there cuz it just happenend to me...

do the code-check and see if there are any stored codes, even if there is not a CEL on your dash

JaySVX 07-27-2007 11:48 AM

check the timing. If you jumped a tooth that may explain your issues.

immortal_suby 07-27-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXgarcia
I did the following test posted by SVXfiles
"If you want to find out which cylinder is misfiring, while the engine is idling, you can disconnect, one at a time, the fuel injector connections.
If it gets worse on five cylinders, and has no change on one of them, that is where your miss is.
Remove that coil and plug and check it to see if it has spark."

They all seem to make the engine worse there isn't one that has no change.

My dad's svx just started misfiring today

pulling the injector plugs found it was cylinder #2
swapping the coil from cylinder 2 to another cylinder and pulling the injector plugs again narrowed it down to that coil. The misfire (or the no change in misfire) followed the coil. The rubber boot on the coil is in excellent shape so I have to assume the coil itself or the wiring for that coil is bad.
Unfortunately I am in NY and my spare parts are in SC so I have to mail a coil up here when I get back home so he can put in a good coil. But - I just wanted to let you know - svxfiles method of identifying the problem is excellent.