The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   after engine swap engine (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36958)

DarknessofDeath 01-14-2007 09:25 AM

after engine swap engine

ok. i got my car back for about a couple weeks now after an engine swap. i have this..echo through probably the manifold plenum sound. only happens when i give it some gas but not during idle (wouldnt' say it's rpm related). guy at the shop says it's probably a bearing. not sure if i would say it's bearing noise...but with the fact that it's echoing. maybe it is. anybody have an idea of what it could be? any help would be appreciated, especially if i can stick it to them during the warranty period.

also - does anybody know the rough height a stock svx should be sitting - so the height from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well/fender part of the car?.

thanks ~

SVXRide 01-14-2007 09:39 AM

DofD,
So, the sound is coming from the engine bay and you can hear it if the car is in Park and you give it gas? The more details you can give us, the better:cool:
-Bill

svxfiles 01-14-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
also - does anybody know the rough height a stock svx should be sitting - so the height from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well/fender part of the car?.

thanks ~

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/23319.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/23320.jpg
:)

ensteele 01-14-2007 01:08 PM

More details would really help. How many miles on the engine? :)

DarknessofDeath 01-14-2007 04:06 PM

more info.

ok. here's the whole thing -i think.
jdm imported svx engine with 65,000km's . one thing that i know about the swap is that they switch in the egr system from the "old" engine to the "new". i only found this out last week - a week after i got the car. and i said to them "why" ,"to past emissions testing" , "who cares, i could find a way around that"
but that might not be too important. they switched the altenator, fuel rails/injectors, spark plugs, ignitions coils, purge selonoid, crank pulley ( i told them to, i have the motorsport one piece). and they tried to not give me back, the fuel rails/injectors, ignition coils. so i just picked it off their shelves and told them that i bought the whole engine, everything belongs to me. i pulled off some of the other sensors from the "old" engine. the last thing is that i believe that they changed out the torque converter - tell me if this is wrong because it was blue. looked like a blue donut shape

after i got the car, first thing is that i noticed is the check engine light coming on shortly after i hit the highway - code 37 for left o2 sensor. only comes on after a short period of time, going on the highway usually puts it on, but even normal driving to about 60-80 km/hr would do it too. i need to get that checked out.

the sound that i hear is heard on and off, in park, neutral and of course in gear, d.
i would say that it's more towards slower acceleration, lower speeds- not necessarily not lower rpms (i'm not too sure if it is rpm related). i dont notice the sound when i am going 60 or 100+.

it's not really noticeable if you are outside of the car with the hood open listening while the car is running, but while you are in the car it is audible.
i put some lucas engine treatment oil into the engine oil. but honestly i think the sound has gotten a little more audible - unless it's just me picking on it the times i hear it now.

DarknessofDeath 01-14-2007 04:08 PM

many thanks

thanks svxfiles for the numbers, i did have one of those subaru car-fix cds from ebay but i lent that to another member and didn't burn myself a copy of it. i recall it was 20 something. but i dont want to guess.

thanks for the help guys.

SVXRide 01-14-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
ok. here's the whole thing -i think.
jdm imported svx engine with 65,000km's . one thing that i know about the swap is that they switch in the egr system from the "old" engine to the "new". i only found this out last week - a week after i got the car. and i said to them "why" ,"to past emissions testing" , "who cares, i could find a way around that"
but that might not be too important. they switched the altenator, fuel rails/injectors, spark plugs, ignitions coils, purge selonoid, crank pulley ( i told them to, i have the motorsport one piece). and they tried to not give me back, the fuel rails/injectors, ignition coils. so i just picked it off their shelves and told them that i bought the whole engine, everything belongs to me. i pulled off some of the other sensors from the "old" engine. the last thing is that i believe that they changed out the torque converter - tell me if this is wrong because it was blue. looked like a blue donut shape

after i got the car, first thing is that i noticed is the check engine light coming on shortly after i hit the highway - code 37 for left o2 sensor. only comes on after a short period of time, going on the highway usually puts it on, but even normal driving to about 60-80 km/hr would do it too. i need to get that checked out.

the sound that i hear is heard on and off, in park, neutral and of course in gear, d.
i would say that it's more towards slower acceleration, lower speeds- not necessarily not lower rpms (i'm not too sure if it is rpm related). i dont notice the sound when i am going 60 or 100+.

it's not really noticeable if you are outside of the car with the hood open listening while the car is running, but while you are in the car it is audible.
i put some lucas engine treatment oil into the engine oil. but honestly i think the sound has gotten a little more audible - unless it's just me picking on it the times i hear it now.

DoD,
Weird that you hear it more inside the car than when outside the car:confused: The fact that you're hearing it regardless of what gear the trans is in and it "goes away" at higher speeds makes me wonder if you don't have a leak somewhere in your exhaust system. Can you get the car up on a lift and walk around underneath it to see if you can't narrow down where the sound is coming from?
-Bill

DarknessofDeath 01-14-2007 10:20 PM

i'll see what i can get done, i could get that done when i get the ecu scanned for the code 37. might not necessarily be the o2 sensor, i changed that out probably less than a year ago.

....come to think of it..i didn't think of the possibility of it being exhaust...
i'll get it checked.
thanks bill