The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cross member as a jack point? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33173)

SVXMAN2001 05-12-2006 07:51 AM

Cross member as a jack point?

I've been using the cross member to jack up the front of the car and putting the jack stands on the two parts of the frame on either side of the cross member, is that a bad thing? I've noticed some indentations on the cross member, i just hope i haven't messed anything up. I have the manuals which show the jack points but i am just to leary of the jacks going straight through the floor panels!!

It's Just Eric 05-12-2006 08:37 AM

the engine crossmember? Its fine to jack from there

the little tension bar slightly behind that which could be considered a crossmember...your asking to be crushed

the transmission crossmember....too far under the car to jack from, and even if you could reach it...dont bother. its not that sturdy

the factory jack points are right along the car's frame rails (unibody style) theres no way they will get messed up.

When jacking the car up (And ive done this plenty enough) I jack by the jack points, engine crosmember, and the rear diff, and in the case of my fwd svx, the rear tow hook

msvx95 05-12-2006 09:52 AM

I jack mine at the front tow hooks...they were already folded and bent over when I bought the car, so it works for me and I don't have to run the jack too far under the car.

dromano 05-27-2006 10:03 AM

front wheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
I jack mine at the front tow hooks...they were already folded and bent over when I bought the car, so it works for me and I don't have to run the jack too far under the car.

:eek: Looked in your locker. The pics of the SVX on the trailer, front wheels are on the wrong side.:)

mbtoloczko 05-27-2006 10:32 AM

I use the front suspension crossmember all the time. I always put a block of 1x4 pine between the jack and the crossmember. Watch out for the PS lines behind the crossmember. If you hit those, you could tear out a PS line.

msvx95 05-30-2006 04:25 AM

:)

Yes, I know.....Fixed when I got it home.

floatingkiwi 05-31-2006 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
the engine crossmember? Its fine to jack from there

the little tension bar slightly behind that which could be considered a crossmember...your asking to be crushed

the transmission crossmember....too far under the car to jack from, and even if you could reach it...dont bother. its not that sturdy

the factory jack points are right along the car's frame rails (unibody style) theres no way they will get messed up.

When jacking the car up (And ive done this plenty enough) I jack by the jack points, engine crosmember, and the rear diff, and in the case of my fwd svx, the rear tow hook

I'd have to disagree with the use of the rear diff though - it rips the two rubber mounts that you can see from the rear of the car. At the very least it compresses them as they are now taking the weight of the rear of the car.

Matt

Earthworm 05-31-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I'd have to disagree with the use of the rear diff though - it rips the two rubber mounts that you can see from the rear of the car. At the very least it compresses them as they are now taking the weight of the rear of the car.

Not mine. I'm still waiting for more to be made but the polyurethane mounts I have will never rip :)

(see group buy forum)