The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Progress on my 88 RX Turbo (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13273)

Green1995SVX 09-18-2003 10:21 PM

Progress on my 88 RX Turbo

1 Attachment(s)
As some of you might know, about 5 months ago I rescued a 1988 Subaru RX 3 door from a field near my house. I've been putting some work into it to fix it up both mechanically and visually. Things are going very well with it. I would say that I've put a good amount of money into it, but wow it's worth it. This car is an absolute BLAST to drive! Since i've had it on the road i've almost completely stopped driving my svx. It's not much to look at, but it has a very nice engine (1.8T) and the gearbox is pretty good too. I wish subaru still made unique cars like this.

Green1995SVX 09-18-2003 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Green1995SVX 09-18-2003 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Mr. Pockets 09-19-2003 09:12 AM

That's a cool little car, Mike. It certainly doesn't look like you rescued it from a field.

Chicane 09-19-2003 04:48 PM

Little cars sure are fun to drive. :)

However, when it comes to taking big sweeping turns at 70-120mph, I prefer the SVX. HehHeHEhehhE

- Rob

Mr. Pockets 09-19-2003 05:11 PM

But of course. :D

huck369 09-19-2003 06:59 PM

Brings back fond memories of my first Subaru...as it was identical to your RX:)

Subafreak 09-19-2003 08:01 PM

I'm gona jump on your thread Mike.

Progress on my 88RX:
I did a 4gear line lock the other night just for fun and then a week later I did a quik 2gear line lock when I was bringing it up the hill to steal the good rack out of it.

So so far I have converted it to manual steer to free up some ponies and undercoated the rear wheel wells:)

Green1995SVX 09-19-2003 09:45 PM

I drove the car about 300 miles today to visit my parents. Now When I am starting out from a stop making a turn im getting some very severe binding. The difflock is not engaged but it sure feels like it is. I have no idea what the problem could be. Does anyone here know what could be happening?

Mike

Subafreak 09-20-2003 02:35 PM

Kinda like when an SVX has tourq bind? Is it definitly an center clutch binding vibration (like pushing the front tires) or could it be like a bad rear axle? You might have to put it up on the lift to make sure. Can you engage the center diff lock? If so then it broply no the broplem, the indicator lite will only come on if it's all the way in, and will go off when it's disengaged.

Green1995SVX 09-20-2003 09:00 PM

It seems to have gotten a little better. I did try to engage the difflock and the light comes on no problem. Im suspecting a bad rear axle because thats really what it feels like. I checked the diff fluid and i checked the axle nuts for tightness. Will put the car on the rack at kerven on monday and inspect the axles.

On a lighter note, I replaced some of the worn out decals on the sides today and installed a boost gauge! w00t

Mike

Landshark 09-21-2003 12:54 AM

when does the giant turbo/interc00lAr/loud-ass BOV go on? :)

seriously, would it be difficult to up the performance on that thing? might make a great sleeper if you could!

Green1995SVX 09-21-2003 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
when does the giant turbo/interc00lAr/loud-ass BOV go on? :)

seriously, would it be difficult to up the performance on that thing? might make a great sleeper if you could!

I'm installing a WRX top mount on it as soon as i get a hood scoop. :) I dont think there's a need for a bigger turbo at this point, and i cant ad a bov to it unless i get a new engine computer.

Mike

Subafreak 09-21-2003 08:34 AM

Why can't you add a BOV to it? All it does is circulate the air back to the other side of the turbo, it shouldn't give the computer any convoltions. You should try and find a good Legacy turbo for it, I think it would be a good match for a little more perfomance, I also think the EA82 really needs a header or bigger up-pipe to keep the heat moving better past the right side head so that it doesn't crack it. I modifyed my up pipe to flow better in hopes of prventing this proplem, I port matched it to the turbo, I don't know why they made it so small.

huck369 09-21-2003 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

I'm installing a WRX top mount on it as soon as i get a hood scoop. :) I dont think there's a need for a bigger turbo at this point, and i cant ad a bov to it unless i get a new engine computer.

Mike

Mike,
J.C. Whitney has a Impreza RS style hood scoop, that just sticks on, you could use it and just drill some holes under it to let the air get to the intercooler.
The part # is 49UG2227P the price is $64.95.
I'm planning on getting one for my 95 Impreza Project car :)
There are some people on the USMB that can hook you up with a better up-pipe, and way's to increase the boost cheaply ;)