The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake line question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55260)

sicksubie 08-14-2010 09:07 PM

Brake line question

I pulled the ABS unit out of my car and have a question now that I am starting to redo the hard lines. I have installed a non-abs master cylinder and running the two front lines will not be that big of a deal, but my question is can I just tie into the proportioning valve mounted on the pass. side strut tower for the rear?

sicksubie 08-16-2010 07:00 AM

Re: Brake line question

Anybody? I am getting itchy to drive this and have it ready for the pumpkin carve meet in October..

NeedForSpeed 08-16-2010 08:05 AM

I know nothing about it, sorry :confused:,
please let us know how you sort it out

Mike621 08-16-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 655137)
I pulled the ABS unit out of my car and have a question now that I am starting to redo the hard lines. I have installed a non-abs master cylinder and running the two front lines will not be that big of a deal, but my question is can I just tie into the proportioning valve mounted on the pass. side strut tower for the rear?

Bobby, I'm not certain, but I think you need a different master cylinder as well.

You could ask LetitSnow, as he has Tom's old car which has the ABS deleted.

sicksubie 08-16-2010 11:09 AM

I have the non-ABS MC already and have it installed. Did Tom use OEM non ABS lines when he pulled the ABS system from his car?

NeedForSpeed 08-16-2010 11:14 AM

How much does the ABS unit weigh?

1986nate 08-16-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 655228)
How much does the ABS unit weigh?

Estimating from the ones I've lifted around, almost as much as a battery, about 25-30 lbs. The reason for eliminating it is partially for the weight, but more to eliminate the risk of the problem Tom had that caused him to get in a little fender bender when the ABS unit acted up...

NeedForSpeed 08-16-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 655254)
Estimating from the ones I've lifted around, almost as much as a battery, about 25-30 lbs. The reason for eliminating it is partially for the weight, but more to eliminate the risk of the problem Tom had that caused him to get in a little fender bender when the ABS unit acted up...

That's a ton of weight to dump, considering the weight is out on the corner trying to make the corner!

What happened to Tom?

svxfiles 08-16-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 655254)

I was talking with The FlyingMoran Bros, at yesterdays Cumberland autocross, and on their 2500lb/400+ WHP Impreza, they not only kept the factory ABS system, but they had faster track times with it.
There is no ABS on The Racer now, so I'll take a look and call you, Bobby.:)

svxfiles 10-15-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 655208)
Anybody? I am getting itchy to drive this and have it ready for the Pumpkin Carve meet in October..

Its coming!

92SVXMan 11-06-2010 06:48 PM

Hey Everyone
Had the 92 svxlsi up on jack stands for a year, Driving a 04 Forester XT but its time to get the svx up and running again. Found a leak from the r/r inbroad of the sub frame and its runs over the sub frame, is there anyway to remove it easily? Can the pipe be removed without dropping the sub frame?
I have the FSM but all that shows is the pipes and hoses, it does not tell how to remove it from the car.
Any info on this job would be a great help:confused:

sd2649 11-08-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 655137)

Send a pic of the "proportioning valve" I have an abs and factory nonabs svx. In the non abs, the brake lines still run to a ...... something.... in the front passenger side of the engine bay, right where the abs module is. The abs car has the same dealy whopper. If that dealy whopper is the "proportioning valev" then yeah, you can use it. Lol, I hope this post helped more than hurt!