The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Ebay Undersized Pulley (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31429)

Myxalplyx 02-08-2006 08:43 PM

Ebay Undersized Pulley

Guys, feel free to shoot me after reading post. I just ordered an undersized Bomz pulley from (****DRUMROLL****) Ebay. :D

Looking forward to how it performs vs our 'heavy' 5lb or so stock pulley. This pulley weighs in at 1.4lbs. I thought my Unorthodox pulley was a little lighter, maybe 1.2lbs. Whatever! It is still lighter than the heavy stock on. Hrmrmmm! Gotta see how it performs. Must......reach.....14....seconds......1.../....4.......M.I.L.E.

I will guestimate that it will free up 4-6hp to the wheels on the dyno. Any takers? :p

Chiketkd 02-08-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Must......reach.....14....seconds......1.../....4.......M.I.L.E.

I want to see that 14 second timeslip just as much as you do! :cool: :cool: :cool:

AFBeefcake 02-08-2006 09:20 PM

The pulley I got my car right now is stock size and only weighs 14 oz. I think they call it Ultra Lightweight.

intelisevil 02-08-2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
The pulley I got my car right now is stock size and only weighs 14 oz. I think they call it Ultra Lightweight.

Where did you get?

Who makes it?

How much was it?

How many miles have you had it?

Mine is currently working on seperating so I need to buy a 'new' one!:(

Thanks,
Dan

Landshark 02-09-2006 12:10 AM

+1 for lightweight, stock size.

you won't need to change to different sized belts.

AFBeefcake 02-09-2006 08:32 AM

I got it off ebay. It was made by Rotational Dynamics for a WRX. Cost me around $55. I had to trim the lip on the timing belt cover to get it to fit right, but other then that it was bolt on.

gest24 02-09-2006 10:24 AM

Is this a direst swap out with no adjustments to timing? I was thinking aobut doing this mod but if I have to mess with anything other than belt tension I'm going to leave it.

AFBeefcake 02-09-2006 11:03 AM

To install any crank pulley, stock or other wise you would not have to touch the timing.

The following only applies to the pulley I got.
The center timing belt cover on the EG33 has a lip the fits into a grove in the back of the stock crank pulley. I guess it helps to keep dirt out of the timing belt. When I installed the Rotational Dynamics pulley the back side of the pulley was rubbing on the timing belt cover lip. So I trimmed a little off of the lip and it stopped rubbing. I've had this pulley on my SVX since October 2003 without any problems.

I got another stock size lightweight pulley off ebay to put on my Impreza for about the same price, and it is crappy compared to the Rotational Dynamics one. It weighs like twice as much, the key-way notch is to big, and the anodizing sucks.

immortal_suby 02-09-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
+1 for lightweight, stock size.

you won't need to change to different sized belts.

+2
Dayle @ motorsports warehouse has 'em for a good price. I've had one on each SVX for a few years now and no problems at all.
I had the stock pulley rubber piece separate on both svx's

elninoalex 02-11-2006 11:10 AM

Can you put an OEM Legacy pulley on an SVX? I've got three spare Leg pulleys.

ensteele 02-11-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
+2
Dayle @ motorsports warehouse has 'em for a good price. I've had one on each SVX for a few years now and no problems at all.
I had the stock pulley rubber piece separate on both svx's

Matt

Did you have to trim the belt cover with the ones you got from Dayle? Have you had rubbing issues? Thanks

AFBeefcake 02-11-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elninoalex
Can you put an OEM Legacy pulley on an SVX? I've got three spare Leg pulleys.

I think so. The legacy and Impreza ones that I've seen on 2.2's and 1.8's look the same as the svx one

immortal_suby 02-12-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Matt

Did you have to trim the belt cover with the ones you got from Dayle? Have you had rubbing issues? Thanks

I didn't have to trim anything on either SVX with Dayle's pulleys. Both bolted right on with no issues and I've seen no rubbing. :)

Myxalplyx 02-12-2006 04:41 PM

Well, I'm hoping when mine comes in, there'll be no issues. Maybe I can test something out by next weekend.

Tcat55371 02-13-2006 09:54 AM

Question

So what does this get you and do all the stock ones crack?
Is this something I should be looking into also? I have a 92

Not to hijack your thread, just asking because I dont know.