The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Not SVX related but I would like to ask you anyway (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15910)

249SVX 01-23-2004 10:11 PM

Not SVX related but I would like to ask you anyway

My question is about the coil paks for the 2.5l Legacy outbacks. Yes I know it's in the wrong section but I figure you are a tech and you would probably be the best person to ask.

Is there a certain mileage that they should be replaced? (i.e.- sparkplugs every 30,000 miles, stuff like that)

Thanks for the input.:)

ensteele 01-23-2004 10:17 PM

The answer will come from someone who knows about this. Chris is not here to answer the questiions, but we use it as the tech area. I will move it over to non svx, but someone may answer your queston. :)

GreenMarine 01-24-2004 12:22 AM

Is he talking to me??? I'm Chris... :)

rperry03 01-24-2004 06:09 AM

Re: Not SVX related but I would like to ask you anyway

Quote:

Originally posted by 249SVX
My question is about the coil paks for the 2.5l Legacy outbacks. Yes I know it's in the wrong section but I figure you are a tech and you would probably be the best person to ask.

Is there a certain mileage that they should be replaced? (i.e.- sparkplugs every 30,000 miles, stuff like that)

Thanks for the input.:)

No, there is no maintence schedule for the coil pack.

249SVX 01-24-2004 09:33 AM

how often do they go bad? Are the paks from the 2.2's the same?

upnygimp 01-24-2004 10:23 AM

Well, I don't have experience with Subarus in particular, but generally it depends. Sometimes a coil pack will last for the life of the car, sometimes it will fail early on. My mother's Buick Century with 166k miles hasn't thrown a pack yet. So It really isn't something you can predict.

A little OT, but I would really like to hear about your MR2 project, as I own an 85. I assume you are already a member over at www.board.mr2faq.com .

249SVX 01-24-2004 04:01 PM

Well, Mr 2 is sitting under a pile of snow at the moment, but, when it gets warmer(above 35 degrees) I'm gonna try to get the motor working and then install the turbo. I have 2 of them that I can pretty much interchange between the two, IHI's are cool like that. Or I can stick a Northstar V8 in it and cry about how much ECU wiring I have to do.:D :cool: ;)

(btw, that's in reference to Mr Strong's project:)but I think you know what I mean:)

upnygimp 01-24-2004 04:12 PM

Of course, I've been following that project since Day 1. Just can't wait to see it this summer. He better have it done. :)

Subafreak 01-24-2004 07:04 PM

Why not it's in OT. Did you say Northstar in an MR2? Why? Won't it be more weight with less power potential and less room to work on? Not to mention the broken cylinder liners:rolleyes:

rperry03 01-24-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 249SVX
how often do they go bad? Are the paks from the 2.2's the same?
Like others have said, they can go anytime or last forever (they are electrical parts).

As long as the connector and spark plug boots are the same at the coil they will interchange.

upnygimp 01-24-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Why not it's in OT. Did you say Northstar in an MR2? Why? Won't it be more weight with less power potential and less room to work on? Not to mention the broken cylinder liners:rolleyes:
350 HP, somewhere around there in Tq in an engine package that weighs within 100 lbs of the original. Trust me, these cars are quick with 112 HP. 350 pushes it to extreme.

I wouldn't worry. This thing will fly. And you may just read about it in a magazine sometime next year.

249SVX 01-25-2004 01:46 AM

Wasn't he saying he was going to boost it as well?

rperry03, thanks for the info, I'll check it out tomorrow.

:cool:

GreenMarine 01-25-2004 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by upnygimp

350 HP, somewhere around there in Tq in an engine package that weighs within 100 lbs of the original. Trust me, these cars are quick with 112 HP. 350 pushes it to extreme.

I wouldn't worry. This thing will fly. And you may just read about it in a magazine sometime next year.

Are you trying to say that a Northstar V-8 weighs only a 100 pounds more than the origional 4 cylinder??? I think it would be a little more than that... Not to mention when you start driving these things aggressivly, you have to know how a Mid engined car will react to your inputs... A car that has an extra (I'll call it about 2 times what you said...) 200lbs in the rear than Toyota meant for it to have is gonna have some interesting handling caricteristics... I don't own one but have done quite alot of work on my freind's since he didn't know jack about them and didn't want to learn... I just don't think I would put a V-8 in that little body...

PS I can't spell to save my life... :rolleyes:

Subafreak 01-25-2004 09:27 AM

I'm not saying it won't be fast, it's just that you can make 350hp with the 4cyl thats in there. And I too will have to disagree with the weight specs, a Northstar has to weigh more than 100lbs over the Toy motor. More weight will always meen less handling, and how much hp do you need to spin the rear tires anyway?

I just cring at the idea of swapping in a POS Northstar in place of the 4cly. If you want more touqe I'd go with a supergharged Toy V6.

upnygimp 01-25-2004 09:53 AM

See, the best part about the Northstar is that it is all Aluminum. It does not weigh all that much. It weighs less than 500 lbs, and he is stripping all the uneeded stuff, so in reality it will weigh a lot less. I did misspeak about the weight though. I was comparing it to the 4AGE, when in fact I really meant the 3SGTE (MK2 T engine), which is becoming a quite popular swap into the back of the MK1 MR2. And if you think the extra weight is a handling issue, than talk to the owner of the original MK1.5 (name for a 3sgte MK1). I'm sure he will be more than happy to show you the error of your thinking.

And while it is possible to get 350HP out of the 4AGE, you have to remember that it is only 1.6 litres. 350 is getting pretty close to pushing the envelope. Just ask Bill's friendly rival who is attempting to build a monster 4AGZE (supercharged engine) who is currently on his 3rd rebuild.

And as to the why factor, I'm pretty sure its the same reason that you are building a monster wagon- you could always go get a truck, but the monster wagon is just friggin cool.