The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just hosed off engine and... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7811)

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 03:38 PM

Just hosed off engine and...

RPMs started fluctuating rapidly, the car was slow, and it stalled as I pulled into my driveway. Will it be alright if I let it sit for a while? Is it misfiring?

Earthworm 12-27-2002 03:46 PM

Haven't had that happen with my SVX yet but that has happened with my Justy. I could barely keep it running. It got better after about 15 mins though.

Did you pressure wash it or just with a hose?

Check all the hoses to see if any are either cracked or disconnected.

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 03:50 PM

I pressure washed it in a self spray car wash. It ran fine for about 5 minutes, then the problem started getting progressively worse.

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 03:54 PM

I just checked the hoses and found nothing. Can I hurt it by trying to start it?

Earthworm 12-27-2002 03:55 PM

I'm wondering if even a cracked coil pack may cause this?

Look for any brittle hoses or anything rubber getting brittle under the hood. I figure 10 years is a normal life span for rubber car components.

Beav 12-27-2002 04:07 PM

Typically there are places/things you shouldn't blast water into, however most will eventually dry out. In Arvada that may be around May or June. ;) Just kidding (ain't I a Richardhead?) :p

If it starts fairly easily let it run for five or ten minutes and shut it off, the heat from the engine will help the drying process. If it doesn't start fairly readily don't force the issue, you'll just end up flooding the engine and making it more difficult to start. In that case try getting it into the garage (hopefully you have one and it's heated.)

Chin up, this is one of those 'learning experiences', "being careful when washing the engine" and probably "not washing one in the winter".

Good Luck

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 04:13 PM

I went outside, started it and it was still doing it. So I revved it to about 3000 rpm for a minute or so and now it's idling fine, although there's a clattering coming from the engine. It may have been doing that before though.

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 04:21 PM

Went on a quick drive and it seems fine. I guess this rules out the boot or hose theory. Thank god!

Thanks Earthworm and Beav. I think it's fine now. I'll use caution when doing this again.

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 04:40 PM

At least I got the bastard clean at the wash. :p

here's another

sfsvx 12-27-2002 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DavieGravy
At least I got the bastard clean at the wash. :p

here's another

Are those really chromed stock rims? How'd you do that?

DavieGravy 12-27-2002 05:26 PM

Could be alluminum ally. Not sure since I'm not the original owner. They're a SOB to keep clean though. :)

seasvx 12-27-2002 06:06 PM

wuz gonna ask the same thing:

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Young
Are those really chromed stock rims?
Did the chromed stock wheels come with the car or did you have them chromed? Love the Look.

svxeno 12-27-2002 06:55 PM

Car looks great but

I wanna see a picture of the clean motor. :)

Randy (Cleanliness is next to?) ii

Seraph 12-27-2002 07:38 PM

Re: wuz gonna ask the same thing:

Quote:

Originally posted by seasvx
Did the chromed stock wheels come with the car or did you have them chromed? Love the Look.
That is an aftermarket job. I have seen it done to another SVX before in real life. It does look ok.

subymtnguy 12-28-2002 09:01 AM

wheels...

Someone at the 10th meet has some stock wheels they had beed blasted (or stripped) of the paint down to the aluminum, and then polished....really looked great! The car was a Teal..sorry I can't remember whose it was:confused:

Shadowyng bought a set of wheels, and was going to do the same thing for his black SVX; haven't had an update on his progress...