The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Going back to school (part time) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55444)

TomsSVX 09-07-2010 04:21 PM

Going back to school (part time)

I have made the decision that within the next year I am going back to school. I want to study Mechanical Engineering with campus within the Northern New Jersey region. Current possibilities are NJIT, Stevens University, and Montclaire University... If anyone has any other suggestions for good schools please, I would love to hear them

Tom

SVXRide 09-07-2010 06:53 PM

Re: Going back to school (part time)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 657268)
I have made the decision that within the next year I am going back to school. I want to study Mechanical Engineering with campus within the Northern New Jersey region. Current possibilities are NJIT, Stevens University, and Montclaire University... If anyone has any other suggestions for good schools please, I would love to hear them

Tom

YT,
Great call! (okay, so I'm a little biased here - BSME, class of '83). Of the three, I believe Stevens might be the best choice. Drexel and Carnegie Mellon are also great choices, but I'm guessing they're too far West for you.
-Bill

Hocrest 09-07-2010 07:26 PM

Hope you do as well as Rodney!!!

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/28324...ack_school.jpg

TomsSVX 09-07-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 657283)
YT,
Great call! (okay, so I'm a little biased here - BSME, class of '83). Of the three, I believe Stevens might be the best choice. Drexel and Carnegie Mellon are also great choices, but I'm guessing they're too far West for you.
-Bill

Stevens is a great choice... also the most expensive:(

Its on the list but not at the top. NJIT is my main choice right now. My brother did his BSME there and said its a great school and it challenges you... Price is right as well... If I do 6 credits per semester its only $3300 plus books so I might be able to swing that on my own w/o loans... we will see

Tom

ensteele 09-08-2010 10:26 AM

Whatever you decide, best of luck Tom. :)

Sean486 09-08-2010 10:44 AM

For what it is worth, my aunt went to Stevens for engineering. She graduated sometime in the 1980s and she has done very well ever since.

shotgunslade 09-08-2010 03:45 PM

Tom:

I think that both Stevens and NJIT are good schools. Our firm regularly interviews new graduates from Stevens, and we also have at least one NJIT graduate on staff.

Once you get started, we can have a discussion about how, all other things being equal, flowing more coolant through a radiator NEVER reduces heat transfer between the coolant and the air. I know Trevor was a champion of the idea that the increased velocity of the water gave insuficient time for the water to lose heat, but, that concept is all wet. Once you start doing calculations for energy balance in control volumes, you will see the error of his concept. Logarithmic mean temperature differential rocks.

kwren 09-08-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 657388)

Once you get started, we can have a discussion about how, all other things being equal, flowing more coolant through a radiator NEVER reduces heat transfer between the coolant and the air. I know Trevor was a champion of the idea that the increased velocity of the water gave insufficient time for the water to lose heat, but, that concept is all wet.

You of course, are correct... When you consider everything transpires throughout the operation from the differences in the options, Even logic makes it obvious!:D

Interesting subject...
Keith:cool:

Good for you, Tom!! hope it works out great.

Tim 09-08-2010 04:29 PM

Njit, rutgers and stevens are most higly acclaimed schools in NJ, with Rutgers and NJIT being the best bang for the buck.

TomsSVX 09-08-2010 04:44 PM

Thanks Tim, thought about Rutgers and its not out of the question yet, but its kind of a long haul from up here for night classes

Tom

K_Dub 09-08-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 657289)
Stevens is a great choice... also the most expensive:(

Its on the list but not at the top. NJIT is my main choice right now. My brother did his BSME there and said its a great school and it challenges you... Price is right as well... If I do 6 credits per semester its only $3300 plus books so I might be able to swing that on my own w/o loans... we will see

Tom

I'd love to go back for grad school, but I won't be doing it with loans again. Good luck to you, hopefully you'll find some good intellectual bang for your bucks.:)

TomsSVX 09-08-2010 07:41 PM

I wish it was Grad... I am doing another Bachelors. Already have my BA for Secondary ED Hist. Applications going in by the end of the week

Tom

benebob 09-08-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 657283)
YT,
-Bill

CMU is in da burgh. Making it at least a 2.5 hour commute at 150mph for the poor boy (or at least he soon will be). When I was there back in the early 90s it was 28k a year for tuition alone!

Besides, I don't think Tom would fit in real well there with the egg heads.

Are you planning on going outside of the region when your done or not. If so I would recommend Stevens, Drexel or Rutgers over NJIT simply out of the snob factor.

TomsSVX 09-08-2010 09:03 PM

Not sure where I will end up when all is said and done. I know NJIT has good co-op programs which in many cases they like to take you right from school if you put on a good show... We will see, gotta find out where I will get accepted first

Tom

SSSVX 09-17-2010 03:48 AM

What made you decided to go back and study Mechanical Engineering?

All the Best!