The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help, separate issues or the same?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51815)

macadamianut 09-28-2009 07:00 AM

Help, separate issues or the same??

Hi all,

I just had my timing belt replaced by a mechanic and now I've developed a strange noise coming from the belt/alternator/PS pump area. The noise sounds like a mixture between a rattling shield, bad bearing and belt slap. Is there something in the belt replacement process that could be causing this. This did not occur before the belt replacement.

The other issue (that may be related) is that periodically my warning indicators for battery, brake, stop, and abs come on. This did occur periodically before the belt replacement.

Are they related? How do I fix this??

Thanks,

dcarrb 09-28-2009 07:42 AM

Re: Help, separate issues or the same??

Check the condition of the crank pulley. Look for a "wobble," and/or rubber protruding from between the inner and outer sections.

dcb

macadamianut 09-28-2009 03:23 PM

Upon removing the shroud and doing a closer flashlight inspection, I noticed that the area around and under the PS reservoir is wet. PS fill level is below the cold range and barley reading on the dipstick. Will refill and check again for sound and source of leaks.
Could this be the source of my grinding sound?

Thanks

tiv0 09-28-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadamianut (Post 619492)

Does it only make noise when the wheel is turned?

kwren 09-28-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 619442)
Check the condition of the crank pulley. Look for a "wobble," and/or rubber protruding from between the inner and outer sections.

dcb

crank pulley could even not be re-installed properly or torqued properly.

Keith:cool:

no one would ever have a reason to remove a cam shaft pulley to replace a timing belt... would they?

RojoRocket 09-28-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadamianut (Post 619492)
Upon removing the shroud and doing a closer flashlight inspection, I noticed that the area around and under the PS reservoir is wet. PS fill level is below the cold range and barley reading on the dipstick. Will refill and check again for sound and source of leaks.

Thanks

Only if the noise occurs when turning the wheel. The leaking PS may well be an easy O-ring replacement fix to do in the mean time. Look in How-To's under Steering. The PS pump running dry usually means a chattering sound that stops when you stop turning the wheel.

Glenn

kcbsvx 09-28-2009 08:05 PM

Mac-
It may be a loose (or slipping due to PS fluid) alternator belt or dying alternator if the dash warning lites are involved.

Glenn-
I met the new owner of the Anniv Edition that I looked at for you. He always wanted one since the debut in 92 and is excited to be driving an SVX.

RojoRocket 09-28-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbsvx (Post 619534)
Mac-
Glenn-
I met the new owner of the Anniv Edition that I looked at for you. He always wanted one since the debut in 92 and is excited to be driving an SVX.

Hey Christian! I still managed to buy a rusty one!! Swapped all 4 corners of suspension (Koni), swaybars and links/bushings from my '93 last week. Feels like a new car!! I'm still holding a rearview mirror for you!!

Glenn

macadamianut 09-29-2009 06:28 AM

I topped off PS fluid- no dice. Seems like a much deeper grinding or slapping sound anyway. I did not notice any belts slapping/loose. But I'm glad I checked PS as I noticed the reservoir leak.

If charging system warning indicator can point to an alternator issue, I'll check that next, and then the crank pulley. It would seem that the noise is coming from the top of the belt system, but that can be hard to tell sometimes.

Is it common for all those indicators to come on together? Battery, stop lamp, brake and abs?

Oh, if it helps- mileage is 79,500.

macadamianut 09-29-2009 04:51 PM

Diagnosis...crapped out alternator. Removed belt and noticed a rediculous amount of run-out in the pulley accompanied by a grind/squeek when spun by hand.

Any advice on where to get a new or reman. one for a good price?

wawazat?? 10-01-2009 02:27 PM

Mac,

I may have one (OK, I have multiple alts not sure which or how many are good though). I'll try and get them tested tomorrow and ID a good one for you if you're interested.

Todd

kcbsvx 10-01-2009 02:34 PM

Mac- Glad you figured it out.

Glenn- Thanks. I lost my phone in the river, along with all my numbers. Please call me at 413.221.9669.