The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who's using speed bleeders? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50359)

svxash 05-23-2009 08:17 AM

Who's using speed bleeders?

So my front calipers need rebuilding so I'm going to do all 4. It was mentioned in another post to use speed bleeders. Who's using them and where's the best place to get them?

YourConfused 05-23-2009 08:37 AM

Re: Who's using speed bleeders?

I used them on a CJ5 and found them to be rather useless. I thought they would be a great addition, but after wards i concluded that they were a waste of money. Too bad as I thought they were a great idea. This is my sole 'hands-on' with them, so others may have differing experiences.

Why not just gravity bleed? This has gone good for me on at least a bill of cars in about every make.

shotgunslade 05-23-2009 09:06 AM

I have them on my SVX. I think they are great. They turn the task of bleeding brakes into a 10 minute one-man job. At the race track, that is indispensable. You just start at the farthest caliper, open it up, stick on the hose, pump the brake pedal a couple of times, pull off the hose, tighten it back up again and go to the next caliper. You can do it almost as fast as it takes me to write it. Note that you don't have to keep the brake pedal down after the last pump to avoid drawing new air into the system, which is why normally brake bleeding is a 2 man job. The one-way valve keeps air from entering the open valve.

ensteele 05-23-2009 10:29 AM

I have them on one of my cars and they are great. +1 with the post above. :) The only down side I see is the price. If I remember right, they are about $35 a set. :o

SuberNatural 05-23-2009 10:37 AM

+1 on that I have russel speed bleeders and they work awesome

ensteele 05-23-2009 10:55 AM

Here is the link to the speed bleeders. The price has gone down some. Now about $20 per 4 + shipping. :)

SuberNatural 05-23-2009 11:00 AM

That's right where I got mine. Helps if you have other stuff to buy to offset the "handling" charge lol

ensteele 05-23-2009 11:08 AM

Yes, like a dozen or so more sets of them. :lol: :lol:

SuberNatural 05-23-2009 11:12 AM

LOL ya, they have some good prices on stuff but if you do small orders you get whacked.

svxash 07-09-2009 07:24 PM

So I bought the ones from Summit and installed one in the rear. I bled the brakes until the new fluid came out. I then pulled off the other rear wheel and installed the bleeder. I got out to check the hose to see if the old fluid had been flushed and the dust cap was blown off and there was brake fluid all over the wheel I had already done!!! I checked the bleeder to see if it was tight and it was. Well come to find out the bleeders were packaged wrong from the factory. The part numbers were ok but they were about 3mm shorter than what the Edelbrock rep said they should be and weren't seating. Anyway they are sending me new ones. I'm glad I noticed the fluid and didn't go for a drive:eek:.