The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shifter moves freely, car won't start. Please help! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45703)

TurboIQ 08-02-2008 11:14 AM

Shifter moves freely, car won't start. Please help!

After not having used my SVX for 5 days, I started the car this morning. Everything seemed fine.

After having let it warm up, I pressed the brake and put the shifter in reverse. To my surprise, the shifter was moving freely and effortlessly in all gear (I could barely feel the gear notches) and the car wouldn't go into any gear.

Since I was parked in a slight slope, the car was slowly going backwards, but without any resistance from the engine or transmission, regardless of what gear it was in. So I stopped the engine and put the hand brake back on. Then the car wouldn't start, period. I could no more hear the brake release solenoid when I depressed the brake pedal (it worked fine 5 minutes before), so the shifter was stuck in park. Since the shift lock release didn't seem to allow me to shift into neutral, I dismounted the whole center console to get acces to the shifter mechanism (yes, maybe it was useless).

One thing I did notice while trying to get the engine started (besides the fuel pump priming) was a constant buzzing noise (like a stuck bee) comming from under the car. I think it has to do with the transmission in some way (maybe the valve body solenoids) because when I unpluged one of the harnesses that goes to the TCU, the buzzing stopped.

What are your ideas, and what should be my next move?

kwren 08-02-2008 12:19 PM

Re: Shifter moves freely, car won't start. Please help!

Sounds like some linkage came loose from the shifter... At the very least a shifter problem.

Take a good luck at what goes on with the inhibitor switch when the shifter is moved. The inhibitor switch would prevent start but probably because it isn't rotated properly, not that it is defective.

I think it is moved mechanically with the shifter, so not moved to one of the start positions is a clue. Wouldn't think it is a big problem to check out and get going... Sure hope not!
We are pulling for you!!!
Keith

TurboIQ 08-02-2008 01:24 PM

Awsome!! I'll start with that and we'll go from there. Thanks Kwren.

w.c.myers 08-02-2008 01:41 PM

it sounds like the shift lever on transmission is not moveing.it located pass side of tran you might want climb under car have someone move shifter and see if lever on tran moves back and forth if it doesn't cable might be broke

huck369 08-02-2008 06:48 PM

Your shifter cable is most likely broken....

TurboIQ 08-05-2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 558715)
Your shifter cable is most likely broken....

You guys were right on. The cable broke at the very end of the shifter. Anyone know the part number?

EDIT: never mind. I did a bit of search and found "35151PA000" on the SubaruParts.com web site. 66$. Thanks to you all for the help. Hopefully, another problem solved.

huck369 08-05-2008 08:03 AM

Glad you got it figured out...
I'm guessing that the cable out of a Legacy will work too, as they use the same style shifter/tranny combo...if you wanted to pick up a used one..

Hocrest 08-05-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 558980)
Glad you got it figured out...
I'm guessing that the cable out of a Legacy will work too, as they use the same style shifter/tranny combo...if you wanted to pick up a used one..

Since the 5 spd linkages need to be extended doesn't it make sense that the SVX shifter cable would also be about 2-3" longer???

I'm not sure, just thinking out loud...

JLHollowX13 08-05-2008 05:23 PM

you said it was parked on a hill, was the e-brake/hand brake on, preventing the tranny from holding the load of the car? if not, i would suspect its not very good on the tranny to hold the load of the car from rolling. it puts unnecessary strain on the transmission.

kwren 08-05-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 559026)
you said it was parked on a hill, was the e-brake/hand brake on, preventing the tranny from holding the load of the car? if not, i would suspect its not very good on the tranny to hold the load of the car from rolling. it puts unnecessary strain on the transmission.

I thought that was what "P" was for.:confused:

huck369 08-05-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 559017)
Since the 5 spd linkages need to be extended doesn't it make sense that the SVX shifter cable would also be about 2-3" longer???

I'm not sure, just thinking out loud...

possiably....but untill someone trys it, thought maybe someone here might have a parts Legacy to compare it to...

JLHollowX13 08-05-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 559029)
I thought that was what "P" was for.:confused:

yes, park does prevent the car from rolling, but its using the transmission to do so, thus putting strain on it. i always use my e brake when parking somewhere where i know the transmission is going to be put under pressure. plus, the brakes are made to stop the car, the tranny is not. id think it would be ok for only park to be used on flat ground and on ground with a certain incline, but once the steepness of a hill gets to a certain point i think it wouldnt be wise not engage the parking brake.

kwren 08-05-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 559058)
yes, park does prevent the car from rolling, but its using the transmission to do so, thus putting strain on it. i always use my e brake when parking somewhere where i know the transmission is going to be put under pressure. plus, the brakes are made to stop the car, the tranny is not. id think it would be ok for only park to be used on flat ground and on ground with a certain incline, but once the steepness of a hill gets to a certain point i think it wouldnt be wise not engage the parking brake.

Never knew that!
Thank you,
Keith:)

comp_jas 08-06-2008 09:03 AM

I just replaced a broken transmission cable in mine. PITA. I'm not really equipped at home for that sort of thing.

processengr 08-06-2008 10:03 AM

Sounds like some preventitive maintenence on this cable would be a good idea, does it break from lack of lubrication, corrosion??