The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing rotors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4398)

Mr. Pockets 06-04-2002 12:50 PM

Removing rotors

I need to remove the rear rotors on my wife's Legacy tonight. They work, and they're true, but they're so damned nasty that I don't even want to put new $30 pads on them.

I know that there are two little holes on the face of the rotor. You're supposed to thread bolts into those holes to separate the rotor from the hub. But what size are the holes?

I should have measaured last night, but I didn't. And now I won't have time tonight to go home and then run to Lowe's.

Thanks.

Boone 06-04-2002 01:22 PM

Take a look at this thread. ;)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=2876

Mr. Pockets 06-04-2002 01:46 PM

Thanks - I really should make better use of the search engine. My current rate for pre-searching is about half of my tech q&a posts. :)

wawazat?? 06-04-2002 02:39 PM

Hammer Time

Actually, I use a BFRM (big freakin rubber mallet) to knock mine free. I don't know the thread pitch on my BFRM though.

Aredubjay 06-04-2002 03:27 PM

Boone, you are a wicked, wicked man. :p

Beav 06-04-2002 04:21 PM

Bolts? We don't need no stinkin' bolts! I just smash the bejesus outta them with my 48oz. wedge-head hammer. Haven't lost one yet. :) Then again, I've got a little experience too... :D

immortal_suby 06-04-2002 05:14 PM

I had my front rotors turned at a pep boys once on my suby wagon. I walked into the shop through the overhead door to find the tech heating the rotors with a torch and then beating the bejeezuz out of them with a bfh in an effort to remove them.
Sir... step away from the vehicle, put the hammer down slowly. You need to remove the large center hub nut bfore that rotor will move at all.
None of my vehicles have seen the inside of a pep boys garage since.
I could have killed that guy on the spot and I think my case would have held up in court with a jury of my peers.

Beav 06-04-2002 05:24 PM

heheheh....yeah, but that's an entirely different critter than an SVX. You should have made him place his fingers between the hammer and the rotor, just as a lifetime long reminder. ;)

deadeye95 06-04-2002 09:25 PM

I just did this on my SVX two weeks ago...

Assuming your other Suby uses the same size...

At Pep Boys, get the M7x1.0 20mm coarse thread. Comes in a little green pack of 2.

I got a M6 and an M8 just to save another trip. But the M7 was the charm.

deadeye95 06-04-2002 09:27 PM

Coarse thread cap screw, that is.

Aredubjay 06-04-2002 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Bolts? We don't need no stinkin' bolts! I just smash the bejesus outta them with my 48oz. wedge-head hammer.
Unless, of course, someone who pees his pants when people start beating on his car with a hammer, is looking over your shoulder. :eek: :D :D

Mr. Pockets 06-05-2002 08:43 AM

I was actually able to remove both rotors without a hammer or bolt of any kind.

I sprayed a little WD40, as Beav suggested, on the lugs and the rotors pulled right off.

I suspect that I may need to replace the right-rear caliper on the car, but we'll see.

kuoh 06-05-2002 10:24 AM

Replace the caliper, why? You see signs of mechanical damage?

KuoH

Mr. Pockets 06-05-2002 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
Replace the caliper, why? You see signs of mechanical damage?

KuoH

It's sticky. I've cleaned and greased the slides as well as I can, but I think the piston is sticking.

The car is measurably better now with the new rotors and pads in the rear, but the right rear is still noisy after stopping sometimes...

kuoh 06-05-2002 11:50 AM

Ok, how are you deducing that the piston is sticking? Unless you drain the fluid out, you can't really move it around like the calipers on the slides.

KuoH