The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   block heater? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6432)

SVXCAPE 10-14-2002 01:11 AM

block heater?

Does anybody know where I can find a block heater? I have looked at subaruparts.com and motorsports warehouse, and I have searched through the archives to no avail. So if somebody could set me in the right direction it would be appreciated:) thanks for any help.

sfsvx 10-14-2002 04:10 AM

Try

http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.j...requestid=1587

They have several types.

Aredubjay 10-14-2002 08:20 AM

Re: block heater?

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXCAPE
Does anybody know where I can find a block heater? I have looked at subaruparts.com and motorsports warehouse, and I have searched through the archives to no avail. So if somebody could set me in the right direction it would be appreciated:) thanks for any help.
I would like to know the part number for the OE block heater as well. In 92 it was one of only two options offered. The other was the spoiler. I feel cheated that I didn't get the other option. :)

Green1995SVX 10-14-2002 09:35 AM

How do i know if mine has it?

Mike

Aredubjay 10-14-2002 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
How do i know if mine has it?

Mike

You'd more than likely have an AC plug sticking out of your air dam (or, an AC "nub" dangling underneath your car :)).

Green1995SVX 10-14-2002 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

You'd more than likely have an AC plug sticking out of your air dam (or, an AC "nub" dangling underneath your car :)).

Would that be near the 'thing' on the bottom of the radiator!? :eek:

Mike

Aredubjay 10-14-2002 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Would that be near the 'thing' on the bottom of the radiator!? :eek:

Mike

Don't go there! :D It would probably be in that general virginity . . . uh, vicinity. :confused: :eek: :cool: :D

ensteele 10-14-2002 02:14 PM

Don't worry - it's no big deal! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :p

subymtnguy 10-15-2002 06:50 AM

block heater...

When I moved from Beaumont Tx to Anaconda MT, all the local homies told me " Boy, you need to put a tank heater on that car!" (a 71 Ford Torino). I noticed all the car there had AC cords hanging out of their grills, so I did what I was told...;)

This was a spherical looking thing that was spliced into the radiator hose; plug it in and it would heat and circulate rad.water thru the block....worked very well!

What elevation are you at? Do you really think you need one? I am at 8500' and don't have them on any of my cars...never a problem. This is the "banana belt" compared to Montana where it gets COLD and stays COLD!

Are you making snow at WP yet? We sure have had "Colorado perfect" weather the past 2 weeks, but I'm ready for ski season!:)

Earthworm 10-15-2002 07:06 PM

I installed a block heater on my SVX. It should be the same one they use on all the other Subaru's.

SVXCAPE 10-16-2002 01:06 AM

I live at about 9000'- 10000', you gain about 1000' from one end of the valley to the other. There were a few days last winter where the actual outside air temp was -40, and plenty of days at or around -20 below, the place where I live the fraser valley is known as the icebox of the nation there are many below zero days here, at least in the morning it usually is. I changed my mind on the snowmaking this year, I am going to buy my own pass. The weather has been beautiful lately, I just wish we would get more snow so we can have a record opening like a few years ago, that year we opened up 80% of the runs on the fist day as opposed to skiing on three to four partial runs for a month before it really gets good. later :cool:

Aredubjay 10-16-2002 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I installed a block heater on my SVX. It should be the same one they use on all the other Subaru's.
Is it the magnetic type? Do you have the PN?

Beav 10-16-2002 06:39 PM

Uh... ain't it kinda hard to make a magnetic one stick to an aluminum engine?

Aredubjay 10-16-2002 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Uh... ain't it kinda hard to make a magnetic one stick to an aluminum engine?
Sure, but not to a ?? metal oil pan. :p

Earthworm 10-17-2002 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Is it the magnetic type? Do you have the PN?

It's not magnetic. It screws in. You must remove part #8 and replace it with the heater.

PS. This is my 500th post!