The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I want it.............. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42624)

hairy 01-04-2008 05:52 AM

I want it..............

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-133804072.htm

........but I just spent my money on an SVX.

svxistentialist 01-04-2008 06:16 AM

Gee Marcus, unless you are going to run the Prezzer in race events, I can guarantee you would be disappointed in road use.

I ran a LHD midengined car for years over here, with the steering on the wrong side. Although you modify your driving to cope with being on the wrong side of the car, and 80% of the time it is quite tolerable, the remainder of the time it creates such difficulty that frustration eventually sets in.

On really narrow backroads you can fly around right-handers because you can see around the corner. On tight left-handers you have to slow and hug the grass, unless you are aggressive enough to go completely the wrong side for a look.

Get caught behind a bus or a tall artic on a main road, and you can't easily see forward to grab quick overtaking opportunities.

I'm not saying it is not feasible, just not really satisfying is what I remember. You would be better off enjoying your SVX.

Joe:)

odepaj 01-04-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 519163)
Gee Marcus, unless you are going to run the Prezzer in race events, I can guarantee you would be disappointed in road use.

I ran a LHD midengined car for years over here, with the steering on the wrong side. Although you modify your driving to cope with being on the wrong side of the car, and 80% of the time it is quite tolerable, the remainder of the time it creates such difficulty that frustration eventually sets in.

On really narrow backroads you can fly around right-handers because you can see around the corner. On tight left-handers you have to slow and hug the grass, unless you are aggressive enough to go completely the wrong side for a look.

Get caught behind a bus or a tall artic on a main road, and you can't easily see forward to grab quick overtaking opportunities.

I'm not saying it is not feasible, just not really satisfying is what I remember. You would be better off enjoying your SVX.

:eek: It's you guys who are on the wrong side of the road! :lol:

j/k with ya!

Dustin

svxistentialist 01-04-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj (Post 519236)
:eek: Is you guys who are on the wrong side of the road! :lol:

j/k with ya!

Dustin

;):D
Hey Dustin, I know you're jokin'. The sad side is a few Americans come over here and forget for a short time that they need to drive on the "wrong" side over here.

As often as not it's fatal.:(

When in Rome......

Speedklix 01-04-2008 07:05 PM

just like that guy from NZ... "the driver should always be in the center of the road"

Fastest Indian thats is... good flick

odepaj 01-04-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 519268)
;):D
Hey Dustin, I know you're jokin'. The sad side is a few Americans come over here and forget for a short time that they need to drive on the "wrong" side over here.

As often as not it's fatal.:(

When in Rome......

Yeah, I will admit, a few of us aren't the brightest crayons in the box :o. Sorry to hear that sort of stuff happens.:(

Dustin

svxistentialist 01-05-2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj (Post 519273)
Yeah, I will admit, a few of us aren't the brightest crayons in the box :o. Sorry to hear that sort of stuff happens.:(

Dustin

Well, I wouldn't agree it is caused by stupidity or anything. More a case of life long conditioning to using one side of the road, coupled with a lapse of concentration.

One guy ran into a government minister in his chauffeured Mercedes a few years ago, pretty bad smack. The minister was OK but the two tourists in the rental car were killed.

Luckily enough it does not happen all the time, just once in a while. The country is now festooned with "Drive on the left" "Conduire a gauche" signs to remind left hook drivers.

Joe:(