The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Remote door locking/unlocking beep question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21803)

gsodonis 10-05-2004 07:26 AM

Remote door locking/unlocking beep question

I am currently using the factory key fob remote to lock/unlock my doors with the security system off. The system verifies function with three rapid beeps of the horn. Is there a way to silence the beeps without disconnecting proper horn function? I plan on upgrading the horns and this will become very loud when I do.
My 2002 WRX had that ability (silent door lock/unlock & security activation) and I was hoping the SVX did as well. I have read the owners manual cover to cover and can't find anything on that.

Your collective help is appreciated.

SVXer95 10-05-2004 07:31 AM

Disconnect the horn.

gsodonis 10-05-2004 07:35 AM

Re: Remote door locking/unlocking beep question

Quote:

Originally posted by gsodonis
Is there a way to silence the beeps without disconnecting proper horn function?
As I asked above: "WITHOUT disconnecting the horn."

Thanks for your feedback anyway.

svxcess 10-05-2004 08:20 AM

Use air horns.

There would not be enough air supplied by the electric compressor during those 3 rapid beeps to activate the horns efficiently. During normal driving conditions though they would work very well.

Many members here have the air horn setup.

gsodonis 10-05-2004 08:36 AM

Air horns

I was hoping that someone would suggest air horns; I was going to install some until the beeping issue popped.
Is there a consensus as to a good airhorn product?
Some recommendations from you air horn converts would be appreciated.

Earthworm 10-05-2004 03:11 PM

Any idea if there's possibly just a wire coming from the security module that controls the horns. Snip the wire then no more horns. Also shouldn't disrupt normal horn functionality.

svxcess 10-05-2004 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Any idea if there's possibly just a wire coming from the security module that controls the horns. Snip the wire then no more horns. Also shouldn't disrupt normal horn functionality.
There is a GREEN/BLACK STRIPE wire coming out of pin 16 in the security module that goes to the horns. If you have the Service manuals it is in the wiring diagram section 6-3, pages 51 and 71.

If you cut or disconnect the wire at the security module, it shouldn't blow the horns when the doors are locked or unlocked. The same color wire is also used to provide the ground through the horn switch for normal horn operation.

Here are the images of the diagrams

svxcess 10-05-2004 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here. Hope these help.

gsodonis 10-05-2004 06:53 PM

Perfect, just what I was looking for

As always, thank you all for your help and input.
I still plan on installing a Piamm Riviera dual air horn, but will try the security disconnect as well.

Earthworm 10-06-2004 11:23 AM

Unfortunately cutting that wire will also give you a silent alarm.