The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing SVX Heads (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12671)

SubaruSVXSport 08-18-2003 08:17 AM

Removing SVX Heads

Hi Everyone, Its been a long time since I've posted on the form, (Yahoo days). Been tried to keep active as far as reading. But anyway, I have a problem, hopefully someone here can help me out.

I recently replaced the value cover gaskets, and had one of the bolts break of in the head (save me the slaps across the head, I know thats a BAD thing :(). I need to get the head of so I can take it down to my buddy's machine shop. I own the service manuals so getting it apart looks pretty easy... problem is the camshaft pulley.

1. Do I need to (or is it recommended) to remove the pulley from the camshaft.
2. If so, what is the best way to get it apart. I don't have the camshaft pulley tool from subaru, so what can you recommend.
3. If anyone has pulled one of these bad boys apart, what steps did you take, and what should I avoid.

Thanks,

Dallin :confused:

huck369 08-18-2003 08:23 AM

Re: Removing SVX Heads

Quote:

Originally posted by SubaruSVXSport

1. Do I need to (or is it recommended) to remove the pulley from the camshaft.
2. If so, what is the best way to get it apart. I don't have the camshaft pulley tool from subaru, so what can you recommend.
3. If anyone has pulled one of these bad boys apart, what steps did you take, and what should I avoid.

Thanks,

Dallin :confused:

Dallin,
If you pull the head off, an impact gun wil remove the cam sprocket bolt, then the sprocket just slides off, it has a keyway, so it's no big deal to remove it.
Be sure to replace the cam seal while it's off.

SubaruSVXSport 08-18-2003 08:41 AM

Hi Huck, Thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to mention that the engine is still in the car. I have the intake, belts, ps pump, etc all removed. Its basicly the block and the heads. Thought about using my air powered tools, but I couldn't get anything to fit, (Front of the car is in the way)

Also, since the values are hydrolic, i'm assuming i'm not going to have to do much as far as alignment, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Dallin

huck369 08-18-2003 01:07 PM

Removing the cam carrier is all you should have to remove, not the accual head, as the valve cover bolts go into the cam carrier.

Getting the lifters to stay in place will be the biggest headache, doing it in the car, don't get them mixed up as they need to stay in their original position. They will want to fall out when you remove the cam carrier, the best way I know to help is to jack up the side of the car that you're working on so that the open side is running uphill to help hold them in place.

Porter 08-19-2003 06:22 PM

On the flip side, if you want to leave the head together it presents a good opportunity to replace the head gasket. :D

huck369 08-19-2003 06:37 PM

I don't believe you can remove the SVX heads without removing the cam carrier first......:confused:
The frame is in the way.

Porter 08-19-2003 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
I don't believe you can remove the SVX heads without removing the cam carrier first......:confused:
The frame is in the way.

AGH! True! I've only done it with a motor out of the car. :o

Ignore me, I speak from ignorance. :eek:

svx_commuter 08-20-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
Removing the cam carrier is all you should have to remove, not the accual head, as the valve cover bolts go into the cam carrier............................
By "cam carrier" do you mean the bearing caps for the cam shaft?

I made a tool to hold the cam sprocket. It is made from 3/4" square tubing, it has two legs with a 1/2" bolt in each leg. The bolts are held in place with a nut and hex coupling. The nut and hex coupling are long enough to reach inside the sprocket to the spokes.

huck369 08-20-2003 05:28 AM

You got a picture of your bracket? ...In place