The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about remote starters (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58983)

Huskymaniac 01-06-2012 10:44 AM

Question about remote starters

My security system has been a bit flaky lately (random horn beeps) and I like the idea of a remote starter for those cold winter mornings. So I figured I could kill two birds with one stone here.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand?

Does anyone have advice on what details to pay attention to or things I need to know about the install?

92snowmachine 01-07-2012 08:15 AM

Re: Question about remote starters

from what i have seen the most basic ones and the really expensive ones are pretty much the same thing. i recommend to install it yourself unless you want a fist full of wires piggy back clipped to your harness, crammed under your dash, and zip tied in place. i rarely see problems with units themselves, just crappy installs that can create a world of electrical gremlins that are impossible to find.

Huskymaniac 01-07-2012 12:07 PM

Does anyone else have brands that they either liked or hated? It sounds like maybe the install is really the important thing.

Do they need to get under the same panel that you need to get under to install or replace the rear speakers? I ask because one of my rear speakers is dead so, if that is where the original security module is, I might as well have them put new speakers in at the same time.

icingdeath88 01-07-2012 12:20 PM

http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm

This guy (SVXdc here on the forums) I vaguely remember also selling an adapter to plug into the stock security plug. That will take care of about 90% of the necessary wiring (basically everything other than the actual remote start wiring at the ignition or wherever).

Do it yourself if at all possible, whoever did the wiring of a remote start/security system into my black car many years ago (before I owned it) really butchered the wiring and created a short that caused the battery to drain when the door lock fuse was in. After a few months the "fix" was to disable the aftermarket system (still leaving it zip-tied in place and plugged into everything), remove the door lock fuse, and replace the ignition itself! So in a few months it went from having a perfectly fine, working stock security system to having two different keys for the ignition and doors, and no power locks.

Do not underestimate the damage that the amateurs at the security/audio shops can and will do to your car.

You have a 96, so, yes your security module is under the rear deck between the rear speakers. However, to change the speakers, you must remove the top cover for the rear deck, but to change the security system, you should only need to remove the bottom cover, which is in the trunk.

SVXdc 02-10-2012 01:16 AM

Yes, I do still have connectors that fit the SVX factory security harness. Makes for a neater install for a basic keyless entry or alarm system.

But if you want to install a remote start, you will probably need to install the "brain" under the dash. The ignition wires are high-current. You really don't want to run those from the dash all the way back to the trunk.

In models without the passenger airbag (1992 through some '94s) you could still use my connector, since that will go behind the glovebox and be close enough to the ignition wires. Even so, remote start systems will want you to tap several signals that aren't on the SVX's security harness (parking brake, foot brake, tachometer, etc.).

With later models (with passenger airbag), using my connector with a remote start system would mean you would need to extend all of the wires from my connector in the trunk to under the dash. I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Now if there's an alarm / remote start system that has a separate "satellite" module that handles the starter control, that would work -- you could put the brain in the trunk and the starter module near the ignition wires. But I don't know of any car alarm systems like that. Let me know if any exist.

My connector consists of just the plastic housing plus a handful of pins that you'll need to crimp (and I recommend also solder) directly onto your new security system's harness wires.

Please send any inquiries via e-mail (not PM). See link that icingdeath88 posted (thanks!) or my homepage.

Conn SVX 02-10-2012 05:54 AM

I had a remote starter hooked up to my 1992 SVX back in the day like 1994. An early unit. I think it screwed up my OEM remote door locks and security system . I would love to install one on the 1994 I have now but I am afraid it will do the same thing to this one . My security and door lock remotes work perfectly now . And with the 5 speed I can imaging how they would butcher it up.

processengr 02-10-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 694428)
My security system has been a bit flaky lately (random horn beeps) and I like the idea of a remote starter for those cold winter mornings. So I figured I could kill two birds with one stone here.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand?

Does anyone have advice on what details to pay attention to or things I need to know about the install?

Hi!
I have had good luck with the Viper brand. presently have a remote starter and alarm in our 97 Outback.

icingdeath88 02-10-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc (Post 696755)
See link that icingdeath88 posted (thanks!) or my homepage.

Any time bro! You are an asset to the community. :)

I would suggest using a relay at the front for the high-current for the starter and keeping the new security module in the trunk. The wiring in my black car really is a mess.