The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   water pump replacement, factory or not? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49714)

coolred_carman 03-31-2009 08:49 PM

water pump replacement, factory or not?

My water pump stopped and ate my timing belt. Does anyone have experience with non-factory repair parts? I heard that it is important to get the factory belt. Are there any other parts that should be factory or is after-market ok for the pump, idlers, and tensioner. Also, what are the odds that my valves are ok after the belt was destroyed?

1986nate 03-31-2009 08:54 PM

Re: water pump replacement, factory or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolred_carman (Post 594763)
My water pump stopped and ate my timing belt. Does anyone have experience with non-factory repair parts? I heard that it is important to get the factory belt. Are there any other parts that should be factory or is after-market ok for the pump, idlers, and tensioner. Also, what are the odds that my valves are ok after the belt was destroyed?

I have seen people post on here that it seems best to go with the OEM water pump but it is okay to use something like the ebay kit for the timing belt, idlers, etc. Just don't buy the ebay kits that include the water pump as a few here have had problems with them.

SoCal LS-L 03-31-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Valves are fine, non interference motor. I used an A1 Cardone water pump which has worked fine so far. As far as the belt, any good name brand belt will be fine.... it doesnt have to be Subaru.

dcarrb 04-01-2009 05:52 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have experience with non-factory repair parts?

In 30+ years of driving I've never bought "genuine" OEM parts if there's an aftermarket equivalent available. If I don't source SVX parts personally, my regular mechanic is a NAPA affiliate. He put a water pump on my teal some 40,000 miles ago. No problems.

I'd cheerfully order Subaru replacement parts if they were remotely competitive on price. Generally, I don't believe there's any meaningful disparity in quality.

dcb

TomsSVX 04-01-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 594815)
In 30+ years of driving I've never bought "genuine" OEM parts if there's an aftermarket equivalent available. If I don't source SVX parts personally, my regular mechanic is a NAPA affiliate. He put a water pump on my teal some 40,000 miles ago. No problems.

I'd cheerfully order Subaru replacement parts if they were remotely competitive on price. Generally, I don't believe there's any meaningful disparity in quality.

dcb

Maybe not quality but I have had my share of fitment issues with aftermarket new pumps. Remanufactured OEM pumps should be fine

Tom