The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Advice needed ASAP: sticky tranny pan (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31195)

BigBlueSVX 01-28-2006 05:20 PM

Advice needed ASAP: sticky tranny pan

so my transmission pan started leaking after I went to a shop to get the ATF changed. When a second shop looked into it while replacing the front diff, they found the whole pan sealed off with silicone, so they said it needed a new pan and just put more silicone on. And it still kept leaking. So here is my dilemna: I have a new pan and gasket to put in to hopefully fix the problem and all the bolts are out, but the pan won't budge. It's sealed to the case, and I can't get enough leverage to pull it off, as the car is only on ramps. Do any of you have any ideas how to pull off the pan or loosen the seal? Thanks.

SilverSpear 01-28-2006 05:26 PM

Get the smallest hammer you can find, beat the pan edges GENTLY all along, it will eventually come off.

BE SURE YOU DIDN'T FORGET ANY BOLTS IN THERE

michael 01-28-2006 05:48 PM

Floss it off with a piece of wire.

ensteele 01-28-2006 06:07 PM

I would try to floss it off or use some kind of thin blade. I don't think a hammer will do anything to a pan sealed with silicone. Maybe it will. :confused:

BigBlueSVX 01-28-2006 07:16 PM

thanks for the help, the flossing idea sounds good, I'll try that next. So far I've done everything from beating it with a mallet to pulling on it as hard as I can, but I just can't get enough leverage. Even tried sticking a hot knife in between the pan and the case, and that didn't do much:eek: . Keep the ideas coming!

DarknessofDeath 01-28-2006 09:47 PM

c4~~
no, not that...i'm sure the pan would come off and more than that...

have you tried exacto knives....though i would imagine the blades are either not sharp enough or....would snap....

small crow bar?

use a sh!t load of flat head screw drivers and stick them in numerous points and try pulling at intervals and/or combinations?

ensteele 01-29-2006 01:15 AM

Blow Torch ? :D :D

dmnknightomega6 01-29-2006 01:47 AM

That happened in my old honda, what the shop did was strip all visble silicone or sealant around it and heat it a tad bit and pry when a little hot still. This will require a little patience. But from the sound of it you have quite a layer there......

Lots of luck

AvPPoW 01-29-2006 08:50 AM

remember, no matter how much you drain it, there's going to be alot of ATF coming down, keep your face clear

n00b on demand 01-29-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvPPoW
remember, no matter how much you drain it, there's going to be alot of ATF coming down, keep your face clear

It actually doesnt taste all that bad :D

TomsSVX 01-29-2006 09:02 AM

Go out and get a gasket scraper. It looks like a flat blade screw driver that got the tip run over by a steam roller. Just get it up between the pan and the trans. Tap it in with a ball pien(spelling) hammer until you get some penetration. The pry down but not so much to bend the pan. Work your way around the pan until it comes off. RTV should never be used on a automatic transmission as the debri inside can clog up many things.

Tom

michael 01-29-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
It actually doesnt taste all that bad :D

You should try a mouthful of brake fluid :(

TomsSVX 01-29-2006 10:16 AM

Brake fluid in the eye really sucks. Was bleeding a clutch on my old truck and got squirted. Almost went blind

Tom

ensteele 01-29-2006 12:48 PM

If you read the information on the containors, you will see that you should not drink, put in eyes, put up nose or in ears or put on your body, :rolleyes: but I guess it is up to you. :D :D :D

DarknessofDeath 01-29-2006 01:08 PM

brake fluid is to get rid of water.....
dry your eyeballs out....

i figure if you drink it...then you would shrivel up...
that would be something to see on video