The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   IRIS Check Valve replaced (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24343)

TomsSVX 02-07-2005 12:02 AM

IRIS Check Valve replaced

I had recently placed the order for all new vaccum hoses and check valve for the check valve that goes to our holding tank for the IRIS system. I cannot tell you how much of an improvement in the upper rpms. Also the low end power is all there when I am at WOT. If anyone else is experiencing a kind of a loss of power down low and high up I suggest this as a solution. I am ripping up the streets with the mt now. WOWOWOWOWOWOW It is fricking awsome.

Tom(sorry got a little carried away)

lee 02-07-2005 01:32 PM

Good news :cool:

So, did this involve removal of the intake, or ???

TomsSVX 02-07-2005 05:11 PM

no removal of anything. Since I am a relatively large guy with big hands(I don't want any comments on that) It was a PITA. Someone who has smaller hands will be able to do it with ease. JUst a hose that you can see between the alt and PS pump. Runs down from a nipple on the intake that hooks tward the front of the car and loops to the back into a check valve then continuing to the holding container. Hoses are relatively expensive along with the check valve but it is well worth it for me. ill leave a thread for the diagram on Subaruparts.com

Vaccum hose diagram

It is the second diagram with part #'s
H503112-hose
H50336 -hose
16195 -Check valve

Hope this helps anyone looking to do the same.

Tom

floatingkiwi 02-09-2005 09:40 AM

Tom
How on earth did you figure out that you needed to do this?
(someone who suffers from loss of power down low)

matt

TomsSVX 02-09-2005 10:52 AM

cuz I'm good like that...;)

Seriously though, I had heard a bunch of info about how the IRIS sytems works and what it does for power and air distribution. Taking this to heart I realized that the reason I was loosing power when I got on it rather than gaining had of been the check valve. This is what allows the IRIS system to work at a heavy throttle position. Since there is almost no vaccum at WOT this container holds it for when it is needed. I looked at the chack valve before when I resealed the motor and realized it was cracked and prob leaking. With this in mind I looked up the info and everything matched up. So i bought the hoses and valve and now my car runs great. Might not be what you are dealing wit but worth while to give it a try. Search IRIS and you will turn up some good info.

Tom

svxfiles 02-09-2005 02:23 PM

Hi Tom, Nice write-up!
I can "cause air to pass through" the valve in only one direction (I don't want any comments on that) so I believe my valve is fine, but those hoses do become brittle over time.
I put some pictures in my locker, hope that helps. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|24710

TomsSVX 02-09-2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxfiles
Hi Tom, Nice write-up!
I can "cause air to pass through" the valve in only one direction (I don't want any comments on that) so I believe my valve is fine, but those hoses do become brittle over time.
I put some pictures in my locker, hope that helps. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|24710

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: YOU STOLE MY THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe:D nice pics I wish I had a camera to take them when I did it.when i get home this weekend I will split my old valve apart so people can see whats going on inside and understand it better.

Tom

svxfiles 02-09-2005 02:39 PM

LMAO!

I wish I had a digital camera too, this ones Di's. :eek:

Don't tell Di.

floatingkiwi 02-11-2005 06:35 AM

Thanks guys, I better have a look.

SilverSpear 02-11-2005 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tomssvx
cuz I'm good like that...;)

Seriously though, I had heard a bunch of info about how the IRIS sytems works and what it does for power and air distribution. Taking this to heart I realized that the reason I was loosing power when I got on it rather than gaining had of been the check valve. This is what allows the IRIS system to work at a heavy throttle position. Since there is almost no vaccum at WOT this container holds it for when it is needed. I looked at the chack valve before when I resealed the motor and realized it was cracked and prob leaking. With this in mind I looked up the info and everything matched up. So i bought the hoses and valve and now my car runs great. Might not be what you are dealing wit but worth while to give it a try. Search IRIS and you will turn up some good info.

Tom

nice one Tom, congrats on your common sense about the issue..

lhopp77 02-11-2005 05:41 PM

What??

Did you blow on it or suck on it to test it?? :rolleyes: Oh, did not see was not supposed to comment on this.
:D

Lee