The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I know its illegal but......... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15144)

SVX26517 12-18-2003 08:40 PM

I know its illegal but.........

Well the cat converter on my volare has finally decided to bite the dust. It keeps groaning, rattling, and making gurgiling sounds during acceleration. i took a look under the car, and to my "surprise" it was a newer universal catco, all nicely cheaply welded on, the idiot who had it before me, must of thought cutting off the brackets that are suppose to be there was funny. How would you guys do this with a limited budget? People are telling me to cut it off with a hacksaw, gut it, and clamp it back on, and it should give the car a decent sound, and plus power and gas mileage. Theres no emissions tests here, and im getting rid of the car this spring anyways.

Chicane 12-18-2003 10:06 PM

Why would you sell a car like that?!?!

If I owned a car that had a slant 6 I don't think I'd EVER sell it, just because the things DO NOT DIE. I remember hearing about a 400,000 mile slant six a while back.. no rebuild, runs fine. Those engines are freaking crazy.

- Rob

Sonar 12-19-2003 03:24 AM

Hi!
I had that ratteling noise in my "middle" silencer, so I just opened it (in place) and removed the interiors, and rewelded it.

SVX26517 12-19-2003 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Why would you sell a car like that?!?!

If I owned a car that had a slant 6 I don't think I'd EVER sell it, just because the things DO NOT DIE. I remember hearing about a 400,000 mile slant six a while back.. no rebuild, runs fine. Those engines are freaking crazy.

- Rob

if i cant find a job by spring, then i would probably have to put it back in storage, or sell it. Before i had it, it was in storage since 85 till 95. the kid who drove it then in 95, never did anything to the engine, and by that time it only had 22k, well i guess the transmission was rebuilt, newer carb put in, i guess a new cat at that time too. the engine should have rebuilt if it was in storage that long, I had the pleasure of doing that :mad:

GreenMarine 12-19-2003 11:09 AM

Luckly there isn't any emission restrictions here either... I am thinking about taking my two front cats off and beating all the crap outta the inside of them and putting them back in... Probably give a raspier exhaust note... I've already got the Stebro so I wonder how that would sound... I've got some noises coming from my cats too, that's why I wanted to do it...

immortal_suby 12-19-2003 04:53 PM

When my cats got cut off I tried to beat the insides out with a large heavy pry bar and was unable to make a dent in them. Good luck gutting yours.

SVX26517 12-19-2003 07:15 PM

Well my heat shield was fairly loose, it didnt fix the gurgling problem. It only seems to happen when the engine is nice and toasty :(

Earthworm 12-19-2003 10:17 PM

Something "accidentally" happened to my center cat while it was off my SVX. The other 2 cats are still fine though. I guess I just saved $200 on the Euro Resonator from Stebro.