The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oil pan Q's (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41665)

YourConfused 11-02-2007 09:29 PM

oil pan Q's

I was wondering how thick the oil pan is on the svx. Is it a multi-layered steel thing? The reason I am asking is that I have massive rust on mine and am worried that I will just spring a leak some day while I am driving, or stuck in traffic. I'm not talking about some surface rust either, but nasty thick (a technical term) rust. I am now kind of wishing the pan gasket was leaking. It would just be dirty, not rusty.

NikFu S. 11-02-2007 09:43 PM

Rust? How can that be... unless... your engine doesn't leak oil? :p

I think you should get a screwdriver, drain your oil the next time it needs to be changed, and jab the pan with the screwdriver, see which one gives. If you make a hole in the pan, you need a new one. :)

Mine has a huge dent in it from who-knows-what, and seems to be ok.

YourConfused 11-02-2007 09:52 PM

Ha! That reminds me off a friend who had his rear main 'fixt' by a shop who jb welded his t.c. cover plate, bellhousing and block all together to keep the oil from 'leaking'.

NikFu S. 11-02-2007 10:00 PM

Right now, seriously, I would wash the pan and start tapping it for weak spots.
Worse case scenario, you have to get a new one, and as bad as you make the rust sound, best case scenario you have to get a new one. :p

NiftySVX 11-02-2007 10:15 PM

It is a standard stamped steel, just one layer.

crazyhorse 11-02-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 505989)
Ha! That reminds me off a friend who had his rear main 'fixt' by a shop who jb welded his t.c. cover plate, bellhousing and block all together to keep the oil from 'leaking'.

:eek:
HOLY SHEEP S**T BATMAN!
That's just WRONG! on SOOOOO many levels!
I'm guilty of some really off the wall redneck engineering but GEEZ!!!
(that reminds me I REALLY need to post the pics of my airbag cover fix. ;) )

Hondasucks 11-03-2007 12:48 AM

Off the wall redneck engineering is like the kid I went to Wyotech with that had an old Dodge pickup, from the 70s I think. His front crank seal leaked, and rather than fix it, he hung a coffee can from the front axle to catch the drips, and after class he'd pour the oil back in his engine, re-hang the can, and drive home. ..

You could wire brush the rust off and give it a good coat of POR-15, that'll keep it from rusting any further.

YourConfused 11-03-2007 01:01 AM

I am the happy owner of a free-to-me bbq grill w/ a budweiser can hung by a coat hanger to catch the grease mod. I can deal w/ that on a grilling machine, but on a car!?!?!?!?! That is W.T.!
Thanks for the response guys.
I will look into getting a new pan in the future.
On that note anyone have one for cheap. Cheap as in I am stupid broke for several months.

SVeXy96 11-05-2007 01:09 PM

Its nice to know I'm not the only person with "rigged" cars. My SVX isn't ghetto, but I have a 77 Monte Carlo and the gas tank is a Colt 45 bottle with a garden hose, but with that big V8 I only get a few blocks per bottle lol

Hocrest 11-06-2007 04:15 AM

I might, I'll check when I get home

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 506022)
On that note anyone have one for cheap. Cheap as in I am stupid broke for several months.

I might, I'll check when I get home.