The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Replacing an Engine (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25388)

lurker 04-05-2005 01:27 PM

Replacing an Engine

When you put a new motor in your SVX do you usually have to tinker w/ the timing chain?

svxpert 04-05-2005 01:29 PM

<<When you put a new motor in your SVX do you usually have to tinker w/ the timing chain?>>

:eek:

I hope not. I HATE working with chains. I'd much rather work with belts.

lurker 04-05-2005 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert
<<When you put a new motor in your SVX do you usually have to tinker w/ the timing chain?>>

:eek:

I hope not. I HATE working with chains. I'd much rather work with belts.

Oops I meant belts.

SVX's have an overhead cam too right?

The problem is , I had a used engine (30,000 miles) installed in the SVX. The engine had a 3 month waranty. My mechanic got some parts off of my old engine (without my permission which voided the waranty) and put it in the new engine. No less than a month , car won't steer and he says that the timing belt could be busted and that the engine could be gone as well caused by the timing belt.

After spending spending $2500 on the svx, he wants my permission to look at the car or whether I decide to buy a new car? WTH?

svxfiles 04-05-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker
Oops I meant belts.

SVX's have an overhead cam too right?

The problem is , I had a used engine (30,000 miles) installed in the SVX. The engine had a 3 month waranty. My mechanic got some parts off of my old engine (without my permission which voided the waranty) and put it in the new engine. No less than a month , car won't steer and he says that the timing belt could be busted and that the engine could be gone as well caused by the timing belt.

After spending spending $2500 on the svx, he wants my permission to look at the car or whether I decide to buy a new car? WTH?

You need a real mechanic! :mad:
First of all they have a single timing belt that turns the two bottom, or exhaust camshafts. They are geared to the top (two) intake cams.
The engine has four cams, two over each head.
IT IS A NON-INTERFERENCE ENGINE!!!
That means if the camshaft belt breaks, the engine quits, stops running , but the valves cannot hit the pistons.
If the engine runs, but the power steering is not working, MAYBE it's just a broken or loose power steering belt.
Or the crankshaft pulley separated from the hub,
or it lost power steering because the automatic transmission fluid,used by Subaru in the svx, has sprung a leak, or is old and worn out.
If the engine does not run, then it is another story.
I would take it to a Subaru garage, or get a mechanic you trust to look at it.
We need more information. Tom

lurker 04-05-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
You need a real mechanic! :mad:
First of all they have a single timing belt that turns the two bottom, or exhaust camshafts. They are geared to the top (two) intake cams.
The engine has four cams, two over each head.
IT IS A NON-INTERFERENCE ENGINE!!!
That means if the camshaft belt breaks, the engine quits, stops running , but the valves cannot hit the pistons.
If the engine runs, but the power steering is not working, MAYBE it's just a broken or loose power steering belt.
Or the crankshaft pulley separated from the hub,
or it lost power steering because the automatic transmission fluid,used by Subaru in the svx, has sprung a leak, or is old and worn out.
If the engine does not run, then it is another story.
I would take it to a Subaru garage, or get a mechanic you trust to look at it.
We need more information. Tom

I would gladly take it to a mechanic who knows what they're doing. Problem is, there isn't that much here in Upstate NY. He comes very highly recommended by subaru owners but he did admit it was his first time to work on an svx.

I love the SVX and actually spent $4000 on it since I owned it. It's can be a head ache though if I don't find a mecahnic who knows what they're doing.

Thanks for the responses and I will get to the bottom of this and ask for more info.

ensteele 04-05-2005 02:42 PM

I would at least find a mechanic who has worked on an SVX. This guy doesn't sound like he will do the best job for you. :o

benebob 04-05-2005 03:17 PM

Just curious but why do you need a new motor? Unless it had catastrophic failure due to lack of oil these engines are pretty much bullet proof. As for your question it isn't that hard to put the engine in provided you have the right tools to do so (i.e. engine lift, etc) if you don't then taking it somewhere would probably be wise esp if you don't have 3 friends willing to help who have engine removal/ install knowledge... No you won't have to touch the belt so long as you don't replace it in the engine going it (which I would recommend you do that, the water pump and replace all the gaskets before installing). You'll pay more later if you don't.

immortal_suby 04-05-2005 04:01 PM

Have it towed to VanBortel subaru on rt 96 in Victor. They will fix it right. Their service department is great.

TomsSVX 04-05-2005 04:53 PM

does the engine run? If it does, you simply have a PS problem. Now that I think about it, the JA mech you are using now might have dropped the ball and bent the crap out of your hard lines on the rack when transplanting. I am not sure as I cannot see it myself but if the engine runs, it is probly just a dumb PS problem.

Tom

svxfiles 04-05-2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
the JA mech you are using now might have dropped the ball Tom

:D
Sorry, but it ticks me off when "professionals" don't bother to research but still claim/profess/express prowess! :mad:

blacknite 04-06-2005 09:19 AM

Sometimes Mechanics Are Like Doctor. They Just Give You Something
To Slow Down The Problem But Not To Correct It Right Away, Ask Electrophil About It!!!!!!. That Way They Can Keep Digging In Your Packet To Reach For Your Money.... But Exactly What Is Your Engine Is Doing Or Not Doing??????

blacknite 04-06-2005 09:21 AM

Doesw The Car Has A Hard Time Going Up Hill??? Or Do You Have Lack Of Power????? Is It Heating Up????? Rpm Are High While At Idle???

lurker 04-11-2005 09:16 AM

According to the mech, the harmonic balance of the engine broke which then screwed up the timing cover.

If so, anyone know the ball park cost to have these problems fixed?

Mr. Pockets 04-11-2005 09:27 AM

It's not actually a 'harmonic balancer.' It's just a 'crank pulley.'

http://tinyurl.com/5hxzn

Item #2.

lurker 04-11-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
It's not actually a 'harmonic balancer.' It's just a 'crank pulley.'

http://tinyurl.com/5hxzn

Item #2.

are you certain about this ?