The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KNOCK SENSOR install (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19964)

James Scott 07-15-2004 05:02 AM

KNOCK SENSOR install

I've read about taking out the alternator (and even the AC compressor) to gain access to knock sensors to install.

What about taking out the intake manifold (looks like it'd be easy?) to gain easier and better access?

Your thoughts guys ??? THANKS :confused: :D

P.S. Would I need new gaskets or use good old ones?

Earthworm 07-15-2004 09:12 AM

I wouldn't remove the intake. You would need new gaskets plus there's lots of stuff going on under there. (hoses)

Someone did a write-up on changing the sensors removing only the alternator.

Chiketkd 07-15-2004 09:22 AM

It was Rufus who did the write-up. I changed the front knock sensor on my car back in June at a mini-meet with newsvx, svxcess and Ron Mummert.

Once you remove the alternator, it's relatively easy to gain access to the front sensor. The back one is a bit of a pain...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Someone did a write-up on changing the sensors removing only the alternator.

James Scott 07-16-2004 01:57 PM

KNOCK SENSORS install

SOOOOOoooooooo, how to do both ?..................

Does SVX always give check engine CODE if these or one is bad or failing???

Let me know please! THANKS!

:confused: :D

Chiketkd 07-16-2004 02:02 PM

Here's the thread from Rufus: Knock Sensor Replacement Made Easy

Good luck! :)

-Chike

immortal_suby 07-17-2004 07:56 AM

I would recommend taking off the intake to replace the knock sensors and while you have it out replace all the vacuum hoses and thoroughly clean the intake and egr system with valvoline synthetic cleaner.

RSVXLsi 07-17-2004 12:49 PM

i actually just had this done with my SVX. i went to Subaru to have it done. they had to take the intake manifold out. actually they had to replace it. i guess there is a part that can only be installed once. the price for me came to 298.99 for the manifold labor and knock sensor.

James Scott 07-18-2004 04:55 PM

INTAKE MANIFOLD off for KNOCK SENSORS

Do you know why they couldn't re-install your intake manifold ? Wondering why new one would be necessary? [Price seems too cheap to replace IM with Knock sensor(s)!]

THANKS for info! :D

RSVXLsi 07-18-2004 07:55 PM

i don't know the parts name but they said that its only a onetime part once removed can't be put in. i know sounds dumb sounds like subaru pulling your leg.

Earthworm 07-19-2004 02:11 PM

Sounds like they broke something and left you with the bill.

Except the intake manifold is going to cost around $500.

Chiketkd 07-19-2004 02:16 PM

Agreed. I had a dealer do that to me once when I was getting my camaro fixed. A $50 radiator flush ended up being a $500 job!!! :rolleyes:

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Sounds like they broke something and left you with the bill.

Except the intake manifold is going to cost around $500.

James Scott 07-30-2004 07:54 PM

TAKING OFF INTAKE MANIFOLD to change sensors...

Do I need to replace Intake Manifold gaskets, if I take off IM to get at knock sensors?

P.S. If so, then do I use any RTV or sealer?

immortal_suby 07-31-2004 07:14 AM

I replaced them on one svx, and didn't on the other with no ill effects noticed yet. They were original and looked fine.

They are a metal ring sealing design - it would be a good idea to replace them if you have the time to wait for the part but I think you could get away with not replacing them if they are in good shape.

You do not need any rtv or other sealer.

svx_commuter 08-01-2004 06:48 PM

Trying to take the ac compressor out is not possible without removing the hoses. At least on my SVX that is. It needs about another 8 mm for clearance to clear the intake manifold and it isn't there. A total waste of time for my attempt. Yes small hands do come in handy for that rear knock sensor.