The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   clunking when comming to a stop... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38615)

ebaybrad 04-23-2007 06:32 PM

clunking when comming to a stop...

ok..so $1000 bucks later my 27k svx is starting to act like a 27k car. I had to swap out a leaking tranny pan (changed the filter and fluild with synth in the process), changed both front struts, new rotors(were warped in front), pads, and other doodads.

Now I need to get a vibration (speed sensitive) increasing with speed...already did an alignment.

Anyway, i noticed that when i come to a stop there is a small "disengage" type clunk that happens just as i come to a stop....what could this be? Is it normal? Is it the shift of the power to the front/back wheels?

I do still have a metal on metal sound coming from the front passenger wheel and i supect some if not all of the bearings need replacement.

The seller of this car was not completely honest. whilst it is in excelllent cosmetic shape...it appears to have been a bit neglected in the usual svx maint issues. It seems it has the typical problems that should have been remedied at some point. SO I overpaid, but got a really nice car cosmetically...needing 2k of repair...too much for a car i paid 11k for (In my opinion). I have to say though that it drives really nice anyway. I am just a bit put off right now. They say first impressions........

ANy help would be appreicated on the "clunk"

thanks

TomsSVX 04-23-2007 06:52 PM

check your calipers and be sure the slide pins are not worn and cause caliper rattle... Thats my thoughts...

as for the vibrations, try a tire balance

tom

cdvs 04-23-2007 07:07 PM

This just doesn't ring true. Did you get a carfax or similar report?

ebaybrad 04-23-2007 08:29 PM

the carfax report is valid and accurate. the mileage is sequential and even and checks out over an 11 year period.

ebaybrad 04-23-2007 08:31 PM

thanks for your reply tom. You come highly reccommended by some other members here. I wish I had the ability to bring my car to philly....Untofunately, i do not.

Nomake Wan 04-23-2007 09:02 PM

Mine does this too, though it sounds like it's coming from the left-front wheel (which is also the wheel which has a damaged wheel well and fender). It's never at speed--I only usually notice it when doing low-speed things like pulling up to a drive-through window or stopping at the end of a parking lot lane. I just kinda figured it had something to do with the ABS system, as I've never owned an ABS car and none of the cars in my family are ABS either.

TomsSVX 04-23-2007 09:38 PM

just came to me... Just check the sway bar bushings and check to be sure the end links are tight

Tom

Nomake Wan 04-24-2007 08:13 PM

I have NO idea if it is related, but PLEASE get this noise checked out!!! I was in a parking lot this evening, having smelled something like an electrical fire from the rear wheels... and all of a sudden, my brake pedal sank to the floor.:eek: I made it home, but I really gotta figure out what the heck is up. Talk about from bad to worse...:mad: