The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START! starter relay (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51840)

Tim 10-17-2009 04:48 PM

Re: NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START!

I just bought a relay and installed it. Took about 15 minutes. My car starts every time now :D

BoxerFanatic 10-17-2009 06:37 PM

Ok... I just spent an hour under the dash of my SVX looking for this daggum thing... and I didn't even see it.

I saw an orange relay and plug, that I put back on it's mounting tab, as it was hanging...

I saw a rubber covered sort of relay screwed to a point under the steering column. But only three leads... didn't look like the right thing.

Lots of plugs, lots of wiring under there, but I didn't see a bosch-style relay.

I just went back and looked at Eric's posted pictures.... and it looks like it is near a white sliding linkage assembly... just to confirm, that is around the top of the brake pedal, and the white linkage is the hood release, right?

Or is it on the gas-pedal, and HVAC side?

I suppose tomorrow, I should take back the 4-pin relay, and get the 5 pin relay, anyway.

It all gives me an excuse to put on the new ignition light ring, and a better-condition steering wheel shroud, anyway. :D

SomethingElse 10-17-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic (Post 621858)
Ok... I just spent an hour under the dash of my SVX looking for this daggum thing... and I didn't even see it.

I saw an orange relay and plug, that I put back on it's mounting tab, as it was hanging...

I saw a rubber covered sort of relay screwed to a point under the steering column. But only three leads... didn't look like the right thing.

Lots of plugs, lots of wiring under there, but I didn't see a bosch-style relay.

I just went back and looked at Eric's posted pictures.... and it looks like it is near a white sliding linkage assembly... just to confirm, that is around the top of the brake pedal, and the white linkage is the hood release, right?

Or is it on the gas-pedal, and HVAC side?

I suppose tomorrow, I should take back the 4-pin relay, and get the 5 pin relay, anyway.

It all gives me an excuse to put on the new ignition light ring, and a better-condition steering wheel shroud, anyway. :D

mine was on the gas pedal hvac side...Thunder Tom said its supposed to be mounted to the steering colum.

BoxerFanatic 10-17-2009 09:59 PM

ok...

I'll have to take another look.

The bit that was screwed to the steering column looks like a relay, with three pins, not four or five... although it had a metal mounting tab, which could have served as a ground, instead of a fourth pin for ground.

The odd thing is that it was covered in a rubber square sleeve, with a slot at the top for the mounting tab to come through, and just the electrical plug coming out of the other end. It almost looked weather-proofed or something.

It had a Mitsubishi/Subaru part number on the rubber sleeve, but I didn't jot it down. It is fairly easy to get to, so maybe I'll take it off, and snap some pics tomorrow.

I did take it down, and disconnected it to investigate... then put it right back. The car did start a bit easier, afterward...

BTW... what is the little footwell light bulb supposed to attach to down there? it was just hanging on it's wire, and I didn't see a place to fasten it to...

Tim 10-18-2009 07:53 AM

Mine was mounted to the steering column. Its on the left side of the steering column if you are looking at it from the outside of the car.

It's on the right side of the steering column if you are underneath the dash lying down. :)

yt 10-18-2009 08:15 AM

the three pin is for your blinkers/hazards. Don't mess with that one they are fragile.

There is a 4 wire harness going to a 5pin relay connector. Yes it still uses 4 wires but the relay must be the 5 pin style

Tom

immortal_suby 10-18-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 621911)
the three pin is for your blinkers/hazards. Don't mess with that one they are fragile.

Ah - so that is what I destroyed when I did the heater core last weekend.

I was wondering what it did. It did not like to still be connected when I dropped the steering column. A little super glue and solder and I patched her up. Must have done a decent job, my signals all work.

Well, that doesn't explain why my airbag light is on now. I was hoping that little gadget was what did it.

bcpianoman 12-05-2009 11:38 PM

Gotta love this site!

This thread just saved me a whole pile of heartache and expense. I had this same problem and, with the information in this thread, I fixed it an 15 minutes. Before I found this thread I had planned to replace my starter when it wasn't the problem at all.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Hocrest 12-05-2009 11:42 PM

Re: Gotta love this site!

Eric helped me out with this back at the Pumpkin Carve Meet in October at OT's and I haven't had a click since then :)

Over the summer I replaced the ignition switch which helped to reduce the clicking to an occasional problem, but this has eliminated it completely...

1986nate 12-06-2009 07:55 PM

Maybe this thread should be made a sticky for all to easily find in the future...

Trevor 12-06-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 627297)
Maybe this thread should be made a sticky for all to easily find in the future...

At the very least a reference, or better still a link, should be included within the how to stuff.

dave-o 12-20-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse (Post 619700)
Well it finally happened to me..click click click yadda yadda yadda why wont this ****ing car start!.....after tracing the wiring diagram and drawing out the circuit I began to do a simple voltage drop test in the most conspicuous area....THE INHIBITOR RELAY!!! GUESS WHAT!!! BAD INTERNAL CONTACTS...VOLTAGE DROP!!!

Ok sorry I got a little CAPS happy

replace relay...start start start start start

US models only, so our non us members with non us spec SVXii could not assist....we suck..before adding relays do yourself a favor and replace the bad one first.

Inhibitor relay + inhibits starting = fail.

Thanks SE!!! saved me a bunch of troubleshooting!

BoxerFanatic 12-20-2009 03:13 PM

Very handy thread, second that this should be kept somewhere handily found.

my car has been starting every time since. Big help in the reliability department.

Thanks, SVX World Network, and SomethingElse, in particular. :D

Trevor 12-20-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic (Post 628523)
Very handy thread, second that this should be kept somewhere handily found.

my car has been starting every time since. Big help in the reliability department.

Thanks, SVX World Network, and SomethingElse, in particular. :D

Reference most certainly should be be included within the how too stuff.

Here we have a fault located and fixed, rather than the application of a band aid. The fitting of a slave relay is a means of overcoming a defective circuit, but when the fault has not been located and fixed, future trouble remains in the waiting.

RSVX 12-21-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 628539)
Reference most certainly should be be included within the how too stuff.

Here we have a fault located and fixed, rather than the application of a band aid. The fitting of a slave relay is a means of overcoming a defective circuit, but when the fault has not been located and fixed, future trouble remains in the waiting.

Consider the request submitted to those who can make this happen.