The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Mystery Honda Fluid? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14922)

Mr. Pockets 12-08-2003 09:39 AM

Mystery Honda Fluid?

Does anybody here own a CR-V? I have been advised by an online CR-V owners group that the 'binding' my mom's CR-V is experiencing in tight turns is caused by contaminated fluid in the rear diff/MPT. I suspect that this fluid is just ATF, but the people on this group are brainwashed and swear that it's a magical concoction only available at Honda dealers. If I don't find anything out to the contrary, I guess I'll have to tell my mom to take it to the dealer.

And let me just say that I find this CR-V owners site a tad frustrating. On this site, if I want to know anything about the SVX, I can find out. Somebody on here has probably performed the repair I want to do. But on the CR-V site, they all recite the Honda propoganda and swear that anything but Honda-brand lubricants, fluid, engine oil and coolant is downright damaging to their car.

<sigh> :rolleyes:

Don't tell them I said that. ;) They seem like a very nice group of people - they're just not into servicing their vehicles like many of us are, and therefore they don't seem to know them as well.

mohrds 12-08-2003 09:53 AM

Just put Kerosene in it and the binding will go away :D

You're Welcome!

Doug

Mr. Pockets 12-08-2003 10:02 AM

Well thanks, Doug! You know, I keep forgetting to compliment you on your avatar - that's a very nice self-portrait!

mohrds 12-08-2003 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
that's a very nice self-portrait!
Thanks!

I took that before I shaved in the morning.

Mr. Pockets 12-08-2003 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

Thanks!

I took that before I shaved in the morning.

And before you had your kibbles, I expect...

mohrds 12-08-2003 10:19 AM

Quote:

And before you had your kibbles, I expect...

I dig through and just eat the bits, let the kibbles in the bowl :D

SVX26517 12-08-2003 02:22 PM

that avatar is funny in a weird way, beer will make me understand it though

Subafreak 12-10-2003 07:18 PM

Wow you only asked this 3 days ago. (where have I been?) Anyway Honda does use special fluid, and it's not cheap$$$. Valvoline has a new fluid but I can't remember what it's called, it covers all the Chrysler ATF 3 and 4, Fords Merc 5, Hondas, and all the other "special" fluids. It's also cheaper than the Honda stuff.

Sidewinder 12-10-2003 08:56 PM

Mysterious fluids... hmm.. Back in high school, a group of friends had several girls convinced to check their "blinker fluid." Just as checking brake, antifreeze, and oil, this fluid was integral to the entire system of the car. Whenever something didn't work, beyond the turn signals, the obvious thing to check was "blinker fluid." For some time, they were fooled. I imagine they've wised up. But, could it be that "blinker fluid" is not imaginary and actually produced and used in a Honda??!

Bobb 12-11-2003 12:09 AM

Honda ATF

Hi Nick, The service mgr. at Ann Arbor Subaru told me a couple of years ago, that Subaru was going to have an ATF like Honda. It has no ash content. Sounds like Sience Diet cat chow. When I had a remanufactured tranny installed, I put in Mobil 1 and draiined and refilled this past summer with Mobil 1. Nothing was said about a Subaru ATF. Maybe this is one of those "NEVER MIND" deals. I'm sure if you work at it you can make anything work only with special fluids. Blink, Blink Take care, BOBB

Mr. Pockets 12-11-2003 09:38 AM

See, what I'm asking about isn't the ATF. The CR-V has its MPT clutch in the rear diff, and I am trying to find out what kind of fluid goes in there. The tranny itself, of course, uses plain ole' ATF. The rear diff, however...

The CR-V forum people swear that Honda 'specially formulated' a fluid for that diff. I find this extremely hard to believe.

And I got my answer this morning. My mom called her trustworthy import mechanic. He said that contaminated fluid in the rear diff could absolutely cause the problems she's having, and that he had the fluid it needed. I don't remember what he told her it was, but she's having the car serviced tonight. I'll find out.

Thanks anyway, guys. :)

mohrds 12-11-2003 09:54 AM

Quote:

See, what I'm asking about isn't the ATF. The CR-V has its MPT clutch in the rear diff, and I am trying to find out what kind of fluid goes in there. The tranny itself, of course, uses plain ole' ATF. The rear diff, however...

The CR-V forum people swear that Honda 'specially formulated' a fluid for that diff. I find this extremely hard to believe.

And I got my answer this morning. My mom called her trustworthy import mechanic. He said that contaminated fluid in the rear diff could absolutely cause the problems she's having, and that he had the fluid it needed. I don't remember what he told her it was, but she's having the car serviced tonight. I'll find out.

Thanks anyway, guys. :)

I would have still used kerosene :)

Mr. Pockets 12-11-2003 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

I would have still used kerosene :)

I'll make sure to keep that in mind. :p

Bobb 12-11-2003 03:44 PM

Fluid

Hi Doug, Nicks mom has a Honda CAR, not a lantern. Take care, BOBB

Mr. Pockets 12-11-2003 05:10 PM

Re: Fluid