The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brighter Lights (H4?) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13945)

Breck SVX 10-22-2003 11:26 PM

Brighter Lights (H4?)

My headlights are really dim, is there anyway to make them brighter, maybe using hella H4s or something? What are the disadvantages of a higher wattage bulb?

-Alex

Trevor 10-23-2003 12:18 AM

Re: Brighter Lights (H4?)

Quote:

Originally posted by Breck SVX
My headlights are really dim, is there anyway to make them brighter, maybe using hella H4s or something? What are the disadvantages of a higher wattage bulb?

-Alex

Your lights should not be Ò really dim Ò if this so something is wrong, you have a fault which must be corrected. There is no point in throwing accessory stuff at what is basically faulty.

First you must confirm that you have full voltage ( 12- 13.5 volts ) at the actual light bulbs. There could be many reasons why you have not.

AFBeefcake 10-23-2003 07:23 AM

If you confirm that you do have full voltage at the bulbs.
You could run higher wattage bulbs. I run street glow 80W lows, 100w highs and I upgraded to 14 Gauge wire from the battery to the bulbs.

I think my low beams look almost like HID's

JLittell 10-23-2003 12:09 PM

Are your headlights pitted and yellow? You might access the condition of your headlight lenses.

Aredubjay 10-23-2003 12:38 PM

I agree with the assessments above, aside from the higher wattage bulbs. That *could* get you a ticket.

Another possibility: do the alternator wiring mod. Check the "how-to" locker for directions. Many members have reported astounding results from this cheap and simple mod.

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2003 01:29 PM

If there really isn't a bigger problem, and you're just not happy with your headlights, I recommend PIAA 'platinum' bulbs. They were expensive, at about $70 a pair (if I remember), but I am incredibly happy with them and they've lasted since I installed them in about November of 2000.

Of course, my SVX isn't my daily driver, so they see much less use than most cars. But then, I also leave my lights on day or night.

Aredubjay 10-23-2003 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
If there really isn't a bigger problem, and you're just not happy with your headlights, I recommend PIAA 'platinum' bulbs. They were expensive, at about $70 a pair (if I remember), but I am incredibly happy with them and they've lasted since I installed them in about November of 2000.

Of course, my SVX isn't my daily driver, so they see much less use than most cars. But then, I also leave my lights on day or night.

I've found that these guys have the most reasonable price on the PIAAs.

http://www.accessconnect.com/store/s...D=200&CATID=49

Trevor 10-23-2003 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Another possibility: do the alternator wiring mod. Check the "how-to" locker for directions. Many members have reported astounding results from this cheap and simple mod.

Randy,

At the risk of being regarded objectionable, opinionated, or whatever, I have to state in honesty and out of concern that the Òalternator wiring mod directionsÓ are seriously flawed and constitute a danger. They should be amended at the very least a cautionary note added.

As I have often pointed out and as has been acknowledged by others with a technical background, bad practice is suggested and the added circuit should be fused. The risk can be argued as minimal but no risk which is easily avoided and involves life is acceptable.

In the event of a head on collision there is a very grave risk of fire. What is the point of owning a car with expensive safety features and then building in as a result of ignorance an absolute hazard.

Every insurance policy I have seen includes fine print which would negate liability in respect of a claim as a result of the mod. Most certainly in this country assessors are vigilant enough to pick up on any untoward reason for fire.

My aim is not to be controversial and is out of concern and a desire to be helpful.

Sincerely, Trevor.

Tim 10-23-2003 07:27 PM

Is there a how-to on how to upgrade the wiring harness for the headlights?

Or could you purchase the universal harness upgrade kits?

Aredubjay 10-23-2003 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor
My aim is not to be controversial and is out of concern and a desire to be helpful.

And it is taken as such. Point well made and quite true. I have, as I'm sure many others, overlooked this important fact. As such, I will cease recommending this modification.

Thank you for your concern and your warning.

Phast SVX 10-23-2003 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I have piaa's as well. incredible life, lifetime warrenty no matter waht car you put htem in. Great deal fo the quality and prodcut they stand by.
phil

Trevor 10-24-2003 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

And it is taken as such. Point well made and quite true. I have, as I'm sure many others, overlooked this important fact. As such, I will cease recommending this modification.

Thank you for your concern and your warning.

Many thanks Randy.

The important consideration now is the alteration of the ÒHow TooÓ instructions, which have been regarded as gospel. These should include the recommendation of a fuse link. How can this be arranged ?

AFBeefcake 10-24-2003 07:43 AM

I purchased a universal harness upgrade kit from ebay for about $40.00.
It took me about 3 hours to install it, but I ran it along the front of the radiator with the factory wires.

Aredubjay 10-24-2003 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor

Many thanks Randy.

The important consideration now is the alteration of the ÒHow TooÓ instructions, which have been regarded as gospel. These should include the recommendation of a fuse link. How can this be arranged ?

If you would, e-mail or PM Earl with your suggested mod to the mod. :D He should be able to edit items in the How-To folder.

Breck SVX 10-24-2003 08:24 PM

So if I upgrade the wattage how important is it to upgrade the wiring. My lenses aren't really yellow or pitted. Are the piaas actually brighter? I used to have them in an old toyota of mine and i kept asking the sales guy "so...are they actually brigher" in a variety of different ways, each time he resonded with "well, they'll appear brighter." When i put them in they seemed a little nicer but not that much.

I want something that is actually significantly brigher i.e. more candlepower. Nothing freaks me out more than driving in bad weather with bad lighting...and winter will be here shortly.

thanks,
-Alex