The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44251)

Manarius 04-11-2008 08:32 PM

Two questions

1. I'd like to remove the license plate holder on the front of my car. I've tried undoing the bolts and it seems that they just spin in the socket. I was thinking that the only way to get this thing off would be to drill out the bolts. Has anyone got any better ideas?

2. Driving in the rain tonight and I turned on my defroster. Unfortunately, it was pretty much useless. I popped the hood while the car was running and the defroster was on but the A/C wasn't turning. I turned the car off and checked the A/C fuse and it was okay. Are these symptoms of the system being decharged?

Thanks in advance.

crazyhorse 04-11-2008 08:52 PM

1. I dunno, I'd have to see how it goes together.

2. Double check that the HVAC system isn't set in "econ" this disables the A/C. Always try the simple stuff first.

ensteele 04-11-2008 09:24 PM

Yes, if the system isn't charged all of the way, it will not operate. :o

kwren 04-11-2008 09:52 PM

If you can...

catch the bolts with vice grip pliers and pull out a bit while turning the pliers, that should solve the license plate problem.

Keith

kwren 04-11-2008 09:59 PM

If the refrigerant level gets lo...

The system is designed to prevent the compressor clutch from engaging, which, if there is a leak in the system could suck outside air into the sealed freon ( or whatever) system... a safety feature.
I am not sure that the air conditioner compressor is supposed to turn 100% of the time that the defroster is on. Maybe someone knows??

Keith

Manarius 04-11-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 540897)
The system is designed to prevent the compressor clutch from engaging, which, if there is a leak in the system could suck outside air into the sealed freon ( or whatever) system... a safety feature.
I am not sure that the air conditioner compressor is supposed to turn 100% of the time that the defroster is on. Maybe someone knows??

Keith

It won't engage at all. Regardless of auto or defrost mode.

Trevor 04-12-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 540880)
1. I'd like to remove the license plate holder on the front of my car. I've tried undoing the bolts and it seems that they just spin in the socket. I was thinking that the only way to get this thing off would be to drill out the bolts. Has anyone got any better ideas?

2. Driving in the rain tonight and I turned on my defroster. Unfortunately, it was pretty much useless. I popped the hood while the car was running and the defroster was on but the A/C wasn't turning. I turned the car off and checked the A/C fuse and it was okay. Are these symptoms of the system being decharged?

Thanks in advance.

(2) Please be more specific.:) Only pretty much useless or inoperative :confused:

Was air coming through the defroster vents at reasonable force? If not was the blower fan working? Was the air hot as it should be? Does the defroster work without the A/C selected and does the fan speed increase when the fan button is operated?

P.S. Please refer to the sticky --- "Technical Requests for Assistance." regarding headings and details.

kwren 04-12-2008 12:14 AM

Might check the presure...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 540898)
It won't engage at all. Regardless of auto or defrost mode.

A set of gages doesn't cost that much and are really nice to have! Probably lost the charge of refrigerant alright. :( If you have a leak, try to tell where it is. Usually can find an indication at the connections with oil as a clue. If you find a suspect charge the system a bit and do the super suds test? Bubbles...

Trevor 04-12-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 540919)
A set of gages doesn't cost that much and are really nice to have! Probably lost the charge of refrigerant alright. :( If you have a leak, try to tell where it is. Usually can find an indication at the connections with oil as a clue. If you find a suspect charge the system a bit and do the super suds test? Bubbles...

The reply referred to the A/C compressor, which is not required for the defrost function.:)

Manarius, please advise as per my previous post which is exactly relevant.

kwren 04-12-2008 01:12 AM

Cheers Trevor...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 540921)
The reply referred to the A/C compressor, which is not required for the defrost function.:)

Manarius, please advise as per my previous post which is exactly relevant.

Since the original message showed concern about the air conditioner compressor not coming on during the defrost I assumed that there was a suspected moisture problem related to the intermittent on and off during the heat-defrost to keep down the humid moist air. That of course is built into the system and even was in my 1990 legacy. The new loaner that I have had from the dealer for 3 weeks while they are trying to diagnose my engine problem has the same system. Compressor comes on during the heater cycle to alleviate moisture, not for the purpose of cooling. At least in the US Subarus. I should have asked for more clarification but my response was only for the air conditioner compressor not running that Manarius originally inquired about!

Hope your weekend is great!
Take care,
Keith

Manarius 04-12-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 540917)
(2) Please be more specific.:) Only pretty much useless or inoperative :confused:

Was air coming through the defroster vents at reasonable force? If not was the blower fan working? Was the air hot as it should be? Does the defroster work without the A/C selected and does the fan speed increase when the fan button is operated?

P.S. Please refer to the sticky --- "Technical Requests for Assistance." regarding headings and details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 540925)
Since the original message showed concern about the air conditioner compressor not coming on during the defrost I assumed that there was a suspected moisture problem related to the intermittent on and off during the heat-defrost to keep down the humid moist air. That of course is built into the system and even was in my 1990 legacy. The new loaner that I have had from the dealer for 3 weeks while they are trying to diagnose my engine problem has the same system. Compressor comes on during the heater cycle to alleviate moisture, not for the purpose of cooling. At least in the US Subarus. I should have asked for more clarification but my response was only for the air conditioner compressor not running that Manarius originally inquired about!

Hope your weekend is great!
Take care,
Keith

Trevor, Keith made the correct assumption and I definitely should have clarified. The defrost and auto modes are not drying out air like they're supposed to. The dash mechanisms work correctly and there was plenty of air coming out, it just wasn't useful because the compressor wasn't running to dry the air out. I also should note, the radiator fans don't come on when I press the defrost or auto buttons.

As far as I know, the a/c comes on with the defroster in order to dehumidify air that will be used to clear the windshield. That's why I'm not a real big fan of using it (it's a mileage killer).

However, in both the Subarus I've owned, I've never had one that cycles the compressor on and off. On my 1991 Legacy, if you turned on the A/C, the compressor stayed on as long as the button in the car was depressed. I've never really noticed the SVX cycling the compressor like you described. Back in the summer when the A/C worked (I know it worked - it was really cold), it never cycled, it just stayed on like my Legacy's did.

Hocrest 04-12-2008 07:46 AM

There are a few things that will keep the compressor from running, Low Pressure is the most obvious culprit, but there is also a High Pressure switch. That most likely isn't your problem, but adding more refrigerant when the pressure is already high could be bad. Either take it to a shop to get the pressure checked or get a set gauge like was suggested.

I would also go to the "How To" and run the HVAC diagnostics. There are a few other things that will keep the compressor from running.

As for the license plate bolts, if their just spinning, trying to drill them will most likely result in more spinning. I would use a cut off wheel. Pretend like your cutting a big phillips head slot in the head. At that point you should be able to brake the head off and push it through the inside.

dannmarr 04-12-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Compressor comes on during the heater cycle to alleviate moisture, not for the purpose of cooling.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????:confused:

Manarius 04-12-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 540962)
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????:confused:

Well, when defrosting, one of the goals is to alleviate moisture inside the car. The A/C system as part of its standard function, does dehumidify air. Therefore, during the cycle, the compressor will come on to achieve that goal.

Manarius 04-12-2008 11:48 AM

Updates: I refilled the refrigerant and that fixed the problem. It took an entire 19oz can to fill it back up.

I've decided that removing the license plate frame is more trouble than it's worth. Also, the paint under the frame is..well...nasty to say the least.

Thanks to all of you for your help.