The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best way to Manually Shift? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36006)

svxthc 11-06-2006 05:09 PM

Best way to Manually Shift?

When wanting to go fast, I enjoy shifting from 1 into 2 into 3 into D. Should I hold the gas pedal down while shifting around 6rpm or let off and shift into 2nd? When I let off the car chugs and the tranny hesitates and makes a loud bad bump noise. I'm guessing that I should just hold the gas down when manually changing gears in my automatic, right? Also, how bad is it to do this and race the car and how bad is it to hold the brakes on and the gas at the same time to get a faster start. This is in a controlled course. Thanks.

starsh0t 11-06-2006 11:56 PM

From my experience it doesn't help one bit because once you mash the gas the "power" mode should kick in and let you rev high anyways.

SVXer95 11-07-2006 06:57 AM

Not sure why you would want to do that, but the quickest way would be to leave it in first and let it shift to second automatically. You can then just shift to third when the time is right. leave your foot down.

Tony117s 11-07-2006 07:01 AM

if you want to shift manually, put in a 5spd

PDSides 11-07-2006 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony117s
if you want to shift manually, put in a 5spd

Agreed. But with the system he is now using it won't be long before the only shifts he will have will be manual.
Preston

Manarius 11-07-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDSides
Agreed. But with the system he is now using it won't be long before the only shifts he will have will be manual.
Preston

Hahaha. Finally, someone who agrees with me about shifting an automatic.

Shifting an auto is pointless. Get a 5MT like was said above.

It's Just Eric 11-07-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

When I let off the car chugs and the tranny hesitates and makes a loud bad bump noise.
...Thats your transmission trying to escape...
I think one thing many people seem to overlook is that the svx, fromn the factory, is far from a sports car. I wouldnt treat it as such unless it has had proper modifications to do so

sharky512345 11-07-2006 09:42 PM

The only difference that i can think of is that when your gear selector is in 1,2, or 3 you can shift at 7k RPMs instead of 6.5k. So you can go 90 in second bouncing off the rev limiter.

Sr240sx 11-08-2006 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
...Thats your transmission trying to escape...
I think one thing many people seem to overlook is that the svx, fromn the factory, is far from a sports car. I wouldnt treat it as such unless it has had proper modifications to do so

"sports coupe" is the terminology. It was made to have some of the aspects of a porsche with all the comfort of a mercedes.

The svx isn't a B-road barnstormer, it's a comfortable long distance cruiser with a big boot, good power, and nice handling.

Not something you'd fling around a track, but something you can really enjoy on a nice twisty road or long journey./

on topic- don't shift in an auto. it's not good for the tranny. buy a 5 speed. if you want power, press the manual shift button and step on it.

Hose92SVX 11-08-2006 08:08 AM

As far as straight line speed goes it won't really matter becuase the shift points will be the same. As far as brake-torqueing to get a jump off the line being hard on the car, yes it's hard on the car but if the drivetrain is in good condition it should be able to handle hundreds of starts like that. On a car like this I would stay away from starts like this since the transmission is expensive to replace and the AWD doesn't allow good tire slip to relieve some of the pressure which means the drivetrain is taking alot more abuse then say a mustang. The main advantage of having the manual shift is that on this particuliar car there is no buttons to unlock the shifts from 4th to 3rd and from 2nd to 1rst, so it makes it easier to downshift a gear while concentrating on the turns. The main advantage of manually selecting a gear is to keep the suspension smooth and keeping the motor in the powerband while navagating twisty roads. Lets say your on a straight away and the straight away allows enough room to shift into third but you are only going to get another 50 feet of power on while in third before you hit the brakes and downshift. In this case you are probably better off staying in second letting it run close to the rev limiter then off throttle, smooth brakes, stay in second and concentrate on taking the turn smooth and to the limit, rather then going to third, then braking while downshifting into second. The reason is because if you downshift during the braking zone there will be a moment where the car will have no engine braking then sudden engine braking while you are applying the brakes. It will upset the chassis and the smoothness of the braking and if you are already at the cars limit of availible traction then you will slide once the the gear changing upsets the cars suspension and brakes. This will also cause panic mode and not allow you to concentrate on the turn. You'll notice on some race cars the driver will heel-toe the throttle and brake while downshifting so the engine braking stays smooth while downshifting. This is hard to master and won't work on a automatic. Smoothness=Speed.

sharky512345 11-08-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hose92SVX
As far as straight line speed goes it won't really matter becuase the shift points will be the same.

This is not true. With the gear selector in 2 the car will shift at 7000 whereas when it is in D it will shift at 6500. I'm not sure about other gears if it is the same or not.

But i don't really think manually shifting the car would be beneficial to accelerating for the extra 500 RPMs, but it could be.

Manarius 11-08-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharky512345
This is not true. With the gear selector in 2 the car will shift at 7000 whereas when it is in D it will shift at 6500. I'm not sure about other gears if it is the same or not.

But i don't really think manually shifting the car would be beneficial to accelerating for the extra 500 RPMs, but it could be.

Shift point being 500 rpm different is irrelevant. It's still way out of the torque range.

Earthworm 11-08-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Shift point being 500 rpm different is irrelevant. It's still way out of the torque range.

If I left the shifter in 3rd it would shift to 4th at 210kph instead of 200kph. It took noticably longer to reach 210kph when it shifted at 200kph.

sharky512345 11-08-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius

When have you tried this? I can have the svx shift out of 2nd in D going 80 at 6500 RPMs or wait almost no more time and have it shift out of 2nd going 90 at 7000 RPMs. At 7k RPMs in 2 there is more power than at ~3 or 4k in 3rd.

Hose92SVX 11-08-2006 12:27 PM

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to start a big debate over shift points. To be honest I was trying to tell the topic host that the main advantage of manual shift comes into play during twisty roads. My bad for not being accurate over the rev limiter and shift points.