The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Parking lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49207)

liamrh 02-22-2009 01:39 PM

Parking lights

Do our parking lights come on by being grounded or receiving a +12v signal?

I need to know for sure before I try and blow up my board. Thanks!

kwren 02-22-2009 02:23 PM

Re: Parking lights

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamrh (Post 588552)
Do our parking lights come on by being grounded or receiving a +12v signal?

I need to know for sure before I try and blow up my board. Thanks!

receiving a 12 v signal

stop.. tail. ..turn... sidemarker... are all permanently grounded.

Mensaf 02-22-2009 03:02 PM

Here's a better question; What's the point of having parking lights?

Blacky 02-22-2009 03:22 PM

It's a flashback from a bygone era. Is there a rule somewhere in the highway traffic act as to when to use them?

sperry 02-22-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 588567)
It's a flashback from a bygone era. Is there a rule somewhere in the highway traffic act as to when to use them?

I think it's a non-DOT rule that parking lights must be able to be activated w/o the keys in the car. So a car can be parked on a busy street at night and left with the lights on for visibility reasons w/o getting stolen because you had to leave the keys in the ignition.

So, since these cars are sold in Europe/Japan/Canada/Australia/etc, they've got parking light switches, whereas US cars don't bother. Plus, most US cars can have their lights turned on w/o the keys anyway.

IceBlade 02-23-2009 04:44 PM

Which lights light up exactly? 'Cause I've got a parking light switch, which lights up when pressed, but to my knowledge it doesn't change anything in the exterior lighting. My car's from the US btw.

K_Dub 02-23-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlade (Post 588766)
Which lights light up exactly? 'Cause I've got a parking light switch, which lights up when pressed, but to my knowledge it doesn't change anything in the exterior lighting. My car's from the US btw.

Should just turn on the orange corner markers up front and red tails. One thing I've always loved about Subaru is that the headlights turn off with the key. I've never had an instance of wanting the lights on with the key out. Just seems like a good way to kill a battery. The only problem is when I drive another car at night, I always leave the lights on. Between that and Hill-Holder those are two reasons that I'll always own a Subaru.

IceBlade 02-23-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Dub (Post 588767)
Should just turn on the orange corner markers up front and red tails. One thing I've always loved about Subaru is that the headlights turn off with the key. I've never had an instance of wanting the lights on with the key out. Just seems like a good way to kill a battery. The only problem is when I drive another car at night, I always leave the lights on. Between that and Hill-Holder those are two reasons that I'll always own a Subaru.

Haha same here, man. I always leave the lights on on my mom or dad's cars when I drive them.