The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   just came back from a dragstrip (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34594)

dunlopSVX 08-06-2006 07:04 AM

just came back from a dragstrip

so it was the first time ever ive gone seen drag race and i raced my svx :D it was realy fun but theres where no tim this day:mad: its funny to see how long the svx is geared:eek: the car at my side shift 3 time while im still in first gear lol:p and the svx hold up :D i just made 3 race cause i dobt want to beat too much my lovely car hehe.have u ever been to the drag strip?if yes how do you lunch ur car ?me i just hold the brake and the gas to start cuz i dont want to do N----D and break someting in the trans so what ur trick...

nsm484 08-06-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlopSVX
so it was the first time ever ive gone seen drag race and i raced my svx :D it was realy fun but theres where no tim this day:mad: its funny to see how long the svx is geared:eek: the car at my side shift 3 time while im still in first gear lol:p and the svx hold up :D i just made 3 race cause i dobt want to beat too much my lovely car hehe.have u ever been to the drag strip?if yes how do you lunch ur car ?me i just hold the brake and the gas to start cuz i dont want to do N----D and break someting in the trans so what ur trick...

In my older SVX, I took it down a 1/8 mile track twice, I hold the brake once im in position, but I dont hit the gas till its green. 10.6sec on the 1/8.

It's Just Eric 08-06-2006 09:17 PM

Hold in the brake and hold the gas at the same time. hold it revving around 4400 rpm. When she turns green let gor of the brake and mash the gas

oab_au 08-06-2006 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=It's Just Eric Hold in the brake and hold the gas at the same time. hold it revving around 4400 rpm. When she turns green let gor of the brake and mash the gas[/QUOTE]

If you can do this,
Quote:

Hold in the brake and hold the gas at the same time. hold it revving around 4400 rpm.
Then the torque converter's stator is slipping.

The converters stall speed is about 2350/2750, so don't try for 4400, it won't happen.:D

Harvey.;)

dunlopSVX 08-08-2006 12:25 AM

yeah it wont go to 4400rpm:( if i press the manual button it will change someting??

Earthworm 08-08-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlopSVX
yeah it wont go to 4400rpm:( if i press the manual button it will change someting??

Don't use the manual button. It's meant to be used with the shifter in 2 or 3 on slippery surfaces. The car will start out in 2nd gear.

It's Just Eric 08-08-2006 03:54 PM

hehe...with the wrong torque converter in there it does...
Or if you have a mt and a strong clutch

NikFu S. 08-08-2006 06:53 PM

Holy moly.

If your AWD works just punch it down. I didn't really see any difference doing any weird break torquing in my runs. My fastest run was actually going WOT from idle.

Doing that never puts me back in my seat, but something does. It seems going half way to WOT up to about 20mph pulls harder than just completely opening the throttle.
I remember someone verifying this with there own unrelated experience.

From idle, depress the throttle half way very quickly, count to two, then mash the thottle all the way down.

Try it while driving around to see if you can find the "sweet spot".

oab_au 08-08-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Holy moly.

If your AWD works just punch it down. I didn't really see any difference doing any weird break torquing in my runs. My fastest run was actually going WOT from idle.

Doing that never puts me back in my seat, but something does. It seems going half way to WOT up to about 20mph pulls harder than just completely opening the throttle.
I remember someone verifying this with there own unrelated experience.

From idle, depress the throttle half way very quickly, count to two, then mash the throttle all the way down.

Try it while driving around to see if you can find the "sweet spot".

Yes Nik I don't advocate stall starts. The engine/transmission has enough torque to drive off idle.:)

BUT when idling, the line pressure is about 70psi. the full pressure is 170psi.at 2500 If you punch the throttle from idle, the forward clutch has to take the full torque, with only a low line pressure, and can slip, before it grips. The line pressure takes X amount of time to rise to the higher pressure, so it is best to take the rpm to about 1700rpm to bring the line pressure up and get all the transmission slack loaded up, before the torque hits it.

Harvey.;)