The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   how can you achieve more low end power? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44700)

JLHollowX13 05-09-2008 11:12 AM

how can you achieve more low end power?

so i want to get some more low end power out of the svx. i want to have some extra power down low because i really like keeping the rpms low. if i had a 5mt or 6mt i wouldnt++ really be looking for more low end as i can control the rpms. ive read about smoothing out the intake, something similiar to tomyx intake, which seems VERY worthwhile, for power and torque all around, but what else can be done? im not really looking for major modifications, although anything that would contribute id like to hear about. if its too much to do now, i could always do it later.

so anyone have any input? thanks!

crazyhorse 05-09-2008 02:24 PM

Anything you can do to make it breathe better will make it perform better.

That said, the best way to increase low-end grunt is to lower the gear ratio. 4.44, or 4.11 gears will do EXACTLY what you want. Lots more grunt off the line, with only a small price to pay up top.

JLHollowX13 05-09-2008 05:47 PM

which one, 4.11 or 4.44, would be more beneficial? what exactly are the differences in driving and performance? any info comparing these 2 would be greatly appreciated!!

crazyhorse 05-09-2008 05:57 PM

I just put a 4.11 tranny in my car, because the original finally went belly up (at 240k mi!) The car gets off the line faster & pulls harder for passing. At the same time it is turning more RPMs for the same speeds. The 4.44 would be more of the same.
To my way of thinking, the lower gears are easier on the powertrain, taking less torque to create the same results.

Do ya a search on 4.44, or 4.11 you'll get LOTS of results with plenty of opinions.

Suby Fan 05-12-2008 07:46 AM

longassname's ecu chip works well to improve low end power

TomsSVX 05-12-2008 07:50 AM

the 4.44 is great way to increase torque to the wheels.

Tom

lhopp77 05-12-2008 08:52 AM

Fuel

But---Just remember your fuel economy will suffer driving at the same speeds. There are always tradeoffs.

Lee

dcarrb 05-12-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 547076)
But---Just remember your fuel economy will suffer driving at the same speeds. There are always tradeoffs.

As I cruised the Interstate north of Atlanta in my teal SVX Saturday evening, doing something in the vicinity of 80 at a leisurely 2700 RPM, it occurred to me: Why would anybody change the gearing of this car just to cover the distance between traffic lights a bit quicker? The fact that the taller gearing saves a bit of fuel fuel reinforces that thinking.

Somebody explain to me the benefit of getting "off the line faster" if you're not drag racing.

dcb

LetItSnow 05-12-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 547080)
Somebody explain to me the benefit of getting "off the line faster" if you're not drag racing.

Not being a smartass here: Find a 1982 Camaro with the 2.5L "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder (90hp) and take it for a spin. The answer lies there. :D

TomsSVX 05-12-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

As I cruised the Interstate north of Atlanta in my teal SVX Saturday evening, doing something in the vicinity of 80 at a leisurely 2700 RPM, it occurred to me: Why would anybody change the gearing of this car just to cover the distance between traffic lights a bit quicker? The fact that the taller gearing saves a bit of fuel fuel reinforces that thinking.

dcb

While the SVX is no slouch in stock form... The feeling of the seat rails in your back is always nice:D:D

Tom

dcarrb 05-12-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 547085)
Not being a smartass here: Find a 1982 Camaro with the 2.5L "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder (90hp) and take it for a spin. The answer lies there. :D

Hey, my first wife had a Chevette with an automatic. I understand what it's like to drive something dangerously underpowered.

I just don't get the preoccupation with off-the-line acceleration. The SVX isn't THE fastest car from a standing start, and so what? Nothing you do to it will ever make it so.

dcb

lhopp77 05-12-2008 10:36 AM

Right

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 547087)
I just don't get the preoccupation with off-the-line acceleration. The SVX isn't THE fastest car from a standing start, and so what? Nothing you do to it will ever make it so.

dcb

And was never designed for that. Even with the superchargers, I don't see any fast times. Make a few improvements and enjoy the car as intended. :p Still a wonder to drive on the interstate. :)

Lee

It's Just Eric 05-12-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

i want to have some extra power down low because i really like keeping the rpms low. if i had a 5mt or 6mt i wouldnt++ really be looking for more low end as i can control the rpms.
Two things.
A: Ignore everything everyone just told you. 4.44's will do the opposite of what your trying to achieve
B: you answered your own question. Do a 5 speed swap and you should be able to keep the rpm's low when you want, or bounce between lights like everyone else seems to think you want to do

JLHollowX13 05-12-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

dcb

i actually LOVE the tall stock gears!! yeah, it may require me to drive around the hilly areas in 3rd around here to avoid the tranny shifting constantly, but hey, when i get on an open area or even up to a nice speed on those hills, the tall gears are nice. my gf in her v6 chevy s10 may be able to pull away from me from a dead stand still, but we hit 30 and im pulling away and theres no looking back. i can definitely get up to highway speeds a little quicker than her.

i really dont want to lose the gearing the svx already has, i love it way too much. plus, im driving highway all day long. i drive less than 1 mile in LIGHT stop and go traffic on a daily basis. im just looking for a little more low end at the lower speeds around 30 to 50 mph. the highway i do 60, but no real issues there, just on the curvy roads i have to drive on around here that are a little slower, but VERY fun in the svx!

JLHollowX13 05-12-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 547095)
Two things.
A: Ignore everything everyone just told you. 4.44's will do the opposite of what your trying to achieve
B: you answered your own question. Do a 5 speed swap and you should be able to keep the rpm's low when you want, or bounce between lights like everyone else seems to think you want to do

my dream is to do a 5 or 6 speed swap someday. as of now my svx needs some other tlc and that extra little part has to wait. once i get the other quirks worked out itll be MT time! someday it will be done though. for now though, i have to look at other alternatives, although i would love to just throw a 5 speed in and go, even if it would mess with the tall gears i love so much.