The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "stop lamp" light (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58865)

Vettein93 12-14-2011 05:58 AM

"stop lamp" light

All of brake lights are working but on the dash the "Stop light" continues to go on once I hit the brakes. Any ideas

Lookin4SVX 12-14-2011 06:37 AM

Re: "stop lamp" light

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=STOP+LAMP

svxcess 12-14-2011 07:24 AM

Have you replaced a burned-out tail light recently?

The stop lamp checker uses the amperage difference between the trunk panel and the two body-mounted stop lights to determine if a bulb is bad. Very similar design to a GFCI outlet in your house.

If you have unmatched wattage bulbs, the difference in amperage can be enough to trigger the checker even if all four bulbs work.

Bulbs are dirt cheap so when I have one go out, I replace all four with the same brand.

This is the easiest place to start.

Conn SVX 12-14-2011 08:02 AM

Could be low on brake fluid also

svxcess 12-14-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 693077)

Not likely. The "STOP LAMP" bulb in the dash indicates a problem with the lighting circuit only.

The "BRAKE" indicator light usually means low on brake fluid.

Conn SVX 12-14-2011 08:37 AM

OK confused as to what light he was talking about . Then I stand corrected . NEVER MIND

Green1995SVX 12-14-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 693077)

The misinformation you've been posting lately with complete confidence is becoming insane!

Manarius 12-14-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 693095)
The misinformation you've been posting lately with complete confidence is becoming insane!

If I recall correctly, the "BRAKE" light will come on if the brake fluid is low. However, the "STOP LAMP" light is a quite different animal and is not related to the fluid level in the slightest.

oab_au 12-14-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

I would not call "Could be ", a statment of "complete confidence ".:cool:

Harvey.

Green1995SVX 12-14-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 693109)
I would not call "Could be ", a statment of "complete confidence ".:cool:

Harvey.

He said that it "could be" that with complete confidence. There is no possible way that being low on brake fluid would cause the "Stop Light" indicator to illuminate.

So no, there's no way it could be what he thinks it could be.

oab_au 12-14-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 693113)
He said that it "could be" that with complete confidence. There is no possible way that being low on brake fluid would cause the "Stop Light" indicator to illuminate.

So no, there's no way it could be what he thinks it could be.

"Would be" is a statement of confidence.

I would not jump on someone for offering an explanation, everyone has to learn. :cool:

Harvey.

LetItSnow 12-14-2011 03:14 PM

It is true, though, that not being sure is a good reason for not typing when it comes to technical information. We have enough veterans here to speak!

oab_au 12-14-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 693118)
It is true, though, that not being sure is a good reason for not typing when it comes to technical information. We have enough veterans here to speak!

i agree that wrong info is sometimes posted, that is what a learning process is. If we left it to "Veterans only", these boards would be very bare.:)

Harvey.

BRADY 12-14-2011 06:17 PM

Please don't squabble. This forum is a place for being open and honest. There is no need to be negative. We all have something in common - we love the SVX.

There is enough negativity in the world.

Mike

immortal_suby 12-14-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

I consider myself pretty well informed in the area of general svx knowledge, and I still make mistakes here on advice. I guess I'll just stop posting as well to avoid giving the wrong advice with too much confidence.

Sheesh.