The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need some more 4.44 advice?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31906)

chaswiggins 03-04-2006 02:34 PM

Need some more 4.44 advice??

Okay I recieved the 97 Legacy Outback 2.5 automatic tranny from a junkyard in Ohio...from what I've read it should be a 4.44.

The tranny code is: TZ102Z2CBA-DT

Is this a 4.44 tranny?

Also is it more common/easier to use the replacement rear diff and swap in the LSD/ring/pinion or more common to use the SVX rear diff and swap in the ring/pinion?

I know either would work but from all the swaps I've read you can go either way.

One more question: Has anyone had problems with there 4.44 after they've installed it or is it just such a new swap its too early to tell?

You all are awesome. Thanks again.

Oh I thought I should mention I bought the car from another member on here... His screen name was CRASH. :)

Budfreak 03-04-2006 02:58 PM

I've had no problems with mine so far. The gas mileage has improved drastically, it runs cooler, you hardly need any throttle to go anywhere and I actually consider it to be a fast car now.:)
That sounds like the right tranny code to me. From what I've heard it's easier to swap the SVX limited slip unit into the legacy rear end. Good luck. -Jason

svxfiles 03-04-2006 06:27 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/24637.jpg
:)
YES,YES, YES, it IS a 4.44!!!;) YOU win the prize!!!

chaswiggins 03-04-2006 06:37 PM

I saw that pic in your locker but there was no caption.

Thank you again.

SSSVX 03-04-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budfreak1
I've had no problems with mine so far. The gas mileage has improved drastically, it runs cooler, you hardly need any throttle to go anywhere and I actually consider it to be a fast car now.:)
That sounds like the right tranny code to me. From what I've heard it's easier to swap the SVX limited slip unit into the legacy rear end. Good luck. -Jason

Jason, nice to hear yours is running good. :) I'm scheduled for another swap on mine...(I have to:(). Yeah, it's faster of course. :) The acceleration is noticeable almost at any spd compare to the stock tranny. When your rpm is at 4500rpm, what's your spd? (When I did 4500rpm = 100mph? Tom said it shld be higher) Anyway, I hope the second swap will correct everything. For the gas mileage, I've put 4 tanks of gas after the first swap, I got worse mpg one mile less for the first tank, but for the rest three, I actually got better one mile more per gallon :rolleyes:

intelisevil 03-04-2006 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budfreak1

You went from 3.545 gearing to 4.44 gearing and The gas mileage has improved drastically?

At face value, this doesn't make sense. Others have stated their mileage has dropped, but it was worth it due to the 'increased power' and 'immediate acceleration'.

Was your original transmission slipping badly or was the solenoid C stuck on, causing binding?

svxfiles 03-05-2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil
You went from 3.545 gearing to 4.44 gearing and The gas mileage has improved drastically?

At face value, this doesn't make sense. Others have stated their mileage has dropped, but it was worth it due to the 'increased power' and 'immediate acceleration'.

I consistantly get (in the non freezing months:rolleyes: )18, sort of city, and 23 highway.

For most people the increased power lets them use less gas pedal, so their gas mileage goes up after the first couple of tire chirping tanks.:)

Even an unnamed NASA guy told me He got better mileage after his swap and He hits tripple digits in that "special tripple digit legal" stretch of highway on his way to work.;)

chaswiggins 03-05-2006 08:58 AM

SVXfiles 4 President. :D

AvPPoW 03-05-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaswiggins
SVXfiles 4 President. :D

Give that man a puppy!

Budfreak 03-06-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil

Was your original transmission slipping badly or was the solenoid C stuck on, causing binding?

No problems with the old tranny other than torque converter was making noise. I've never seen a tank make it much over 280 miles in my car till I got the gears and exhaust done. I got 380:eek: to my first tank on the way home from the shop and that included a few jaunts to over 100 when the friggin snow would let up for a minute. I think that can safely be called an improvement. I now get about 360-380 miles on the highway and 250(having fun)-280(not so much fun) in mostly city.;)