The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How long does your SVX high idle? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30505)

Dr.Outback 12-28-2005 08:52 AM

How long does your SVX high idle?

I've been slightly annoyed by my SVX's long high idle time. When cold, under 45 degrees, the car will stay on high idle, 1700-2000 rpm, till the engine heats up enough for the climate control to come on to blow hot air. Usually about 3-4mins. I can take my foot off the gas and let the car drive a little on it's own. Like cruise control. I replaced the auxillary air control valve because that closes after the engine warms up, and only provides extra air for cold starts. Anybody else experience this? Is this a normal high idle period for this engine? I have no other SVX to compare it with.

mbtoloczko 12-28-2005 09:23 AM

At temps below 45F, mine runs a high idle for maybe 2 minutes, but its only above 1500 rpm for maybe 30 sec.

ShiuludeSVX 12-28-2005 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Outback
I've been slightly annoyed by my SVX's long high idle time. When cold, under 45 degrees, the car will stay on high idle, 1700-2000 rpm, till the engine heats up enough for the climate control to come on to blow hot air. Usually about 3-4mins. I can take my foot off the gas and let the car drive a little on it's own. Like cruise control. I replaced the auxillary air control valve because that closes after the engine warms up, and only provides extra air for cold starts. Anybody else experience this? Is this a normal high idle period for this engine? I have no other SVX to compare it with.

Dunno. My 92 idles at 700 during the day, and when cold it will stay at about 1200 for 3 to 4 minutes. If I let it sit in neutral warming, it will stay in the 700 range until warmed. Check all the vacuum lines, and don't use the warm air until it reaches temp. Yes, it does get into the low 20's here, and this is the environment I am talking about.

Dr.Outback 12-28-2005 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's hard discerning what is "normal" with no other SVX's to compare to. I guess I'll have to hook up to the scan tool and look at the sensor data. It idles rock solid and steady after warm up. I just don't like the fact that after driving for a few minutes I can put it in neutral, and it's idling at 1700rpm or more when still cold.

Earthworm 12-28-2005 11:11 AM

I've seen high idles of over 2000rpm with the manual transmission. I seem to be able to raise the idle by dragging the clutch without pressing the gas (forcing the engine to maintain idle). I can only seem to drop the idle when driving by coming to a complete stop (speed sensitive). I can also get around this by toggling the switch I installed to fool the ECU into thinking I'm in neutral.

Dr.Outback 12-28-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I've seen high idles of over 2000rpm with the manual transmission. I seem to be able to raise the idle by dragging the clutch without pressing the gas (forcing the engine to maintain idle). I can only seem to drop the idle when driving by coming to a complete stop (speed sensitive). I can also get around this by toggling the switch I installed to fool the ECU into thinking I'm in neutral.

This is different then that. It doesn't idle high when warm. Only when cold. Just after the temp guage gets to the line, it stops idling high.

Earthworm 12-28-2005 12:51 PM

I don't get high idle when warm either.

Dr.Outback 12-28-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I don't get high idle when warm either.

So what do you think is causing your problem? Maybe it'll give me something to look at.

Earthworm 12-28-2005 01:56 PM

I'm sure the ECU is just expecting feedback from an auto tranny.

msvx95 12-31-2005 10:24 AM

Mine high idles at startup everytime when the engine is cold....for about 20 seconds around 2000 rpm.....It started acting this way last year when I adjusted my throttle cables to get the better launch from a dead stop.

Dr.Outback 12-31-2005 12:14 PM

I adjusted my cables for the same reason. But I still thought there was enough slack. I'll have to check it again. Maybe it's still a little tight.

NikFu S. 12-31-2005 12:33 PM

Mine idles at about 1500 until the temp needle starts moving. Depends on outside temp.
I usually make it to the first light without hitting the gas.

ensteele 12-31-2005 12:51 PM

It doesn't take much tension on the cable to make it idle higher than normal. :)

msvx95 12-31-2005 01:52 PM

You are right....mine is very sensitive....The cables are not tight....but still have more slack than I would like, but I'm just a hair from a high idle setting.....currently I at temperature idle at 600 rpm which is good

Dr.Outback 12-31-2005 02:31 PM

I just jumped into the car to run an errand. (Get Beer) It was 37 degrees out. And it was returning to idle fairly quickly, and not displaying a tendency to hold revs after the gas was let go. Maybe it took a little bit for the computer to relearn cold start idle settings after I installed the new auxillary air control valve?