The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   svxphile needs help (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14964)

svxcess 12-10-2003 09:23 AM

svxphile needs help

I got this email from Don (svxphile) today.

"Hey guys.....got a bit of a problem here. I went to start up the SVX, and even though the engine started, most of the idiot lights across the bottom were lit up; Steering....Battery....Stop Lamp....Brake....ABS.

The brake light would not go out when the brake was released. There was no power steering.

I am assuming a fuse here, but which one? Any input would be greatly appreciated."

Anybody have any ideas out there? I call him and tell him to check in on the network.

Stevebsy 12-10-2003 09:54 AM

Check the alternator/PS belt:

No alternator makes all the bottom lights come on, and no PS means the PS pump is not going most likely.

Green1995SVX 12-10-2003 10:15 AM

I concur... PS/Alt micro-v belt should be checked and replaced if needed.

Mike

Ron Mummert 12-10-2003 09:34 PM

Don't worry, John. I already told Don to remove the bumper, radiator & both front fenders to get a better look at the belt situation.
Electrical tape will remedy the light array. I love working on other people's cars.

Ron.

Noir 12-11-2003 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Don't worry, John. I already told Don to remove the bumper, radiator & both front fenders to get a better look at the belt situation.
Electrical tape will remedy the light array. I love working on other people's cars.

Ron.

:D :D :D

SVXphile 12-14-2003 04:40 PM

I needed a belt....(?)

Hi guys....thanks for all the input. It was the belt....shredded the little sucker. It was no problem to replace, but it took a long time
to put the fenders, bumper and radiator back on...

...are you sure that was necessary Ron? :(

Anyway, I noticed the other belt was riding only half on the main crankshaft pully. I thought that it had become derailed when the other belt came apart, but with the new belt installed there are two problems. One, that other belt CAN'T fully ride on the pulley since it can't clear the new belt. Secondly, the new belt seats fine on all the pulleys EXCEPT the main one....where it rides over a solid metal ridge centered on the middle of the belt. I had a neighbor look at it, and he wondered if the main pulley was on backwards. The way it is dished, I don't think it is....but it might be the wrong pulley. How the other belt survived for so long only riding halfway on the pulley is beyond me.

Any ideas guys? (Especially ones where I don't have to disassemble the car, Ron!) :D :D :D

Don

Landshark 12-14-2003 04:49 PM

Ron,

i found out that the engine doesn't need to be pulled to change the oil. thanks for your tips, though. :D

Phast SVX 12-14-2003 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
Ron,

i found out that the engine doesn't need to be pulled to change the oil. thanks for your tips, though. :D

crap......
:::heads back into garage to reinstall the engine:::
:D phil

ensteele 12-14-2003 06:18 PM

Oh No! This concerns me a little, or maybe a lot. Ron told me to roll the car over on its roof to check the tires and brakes. I am not so sure now. :( :rolleyes: It sure gives me more room to work on the exhaust system though. ;)

Stevebsy 12-14-2003 07:14 PM

Your harmonic balancer may be failing. It is a pulley with a rubber center connected to the crankshaft. Undo the other belt and see if you can wobble it around. If you can, then you probably need a new one. :eek:

Ron Mummert 12-14-2003 07:44 PM

Re: I needed a belt....(?)

Secondly, the new belt seats fine on all the pulleys EXCEPT the main one....where it rides over a solid metal ridge centered on the middle of the belt. I had a neighbor look at it, and he wondered if the main pulley was on backwards. The way it is dished, I don't think it is....but it might be the wrong pulley. How the other belt survived for so long only riding halfway on the pulley is beyond me.

Any ideas guys? (Especially ones where I don't have to disassemble the car, Ron!)

Don't be silly, Don. No more disassembly needed at this point. Those belts have grooves for a reason. Just measure the width needed to clear the metal ridge, then, using a sharp box cutter, trim off the amount needed to fit the pully.

Ron (no charge for the professional advise).

Ron Mummert 12-14-2003 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
Ron,

OK, have it your way, Alan, but these shortcuts you're taking will reduce engine life.

Ron (when WILL they ever learn?)

SVXphile 12-15-2003 03:25 PM

Pushee Pulley

Sorry Ron, I haven't handled a boxcutter since I left one in my pocket when I.....well, you get the idea. The airline people can get REAL testy...

Stevebsy: A harmonic balancer? Isn't that when the planets align during a total eclipse? (oops, wrong car...)

Is this thing moving forward, away from the belt, as it "wears out"?

I'll have to call the guys over at my Subie dealer about this one....

Thanks...

Don

SVXphile 12-15-2003 04:26 PM

Here is a shot of the pully problem. You will notice the one on the front is too far back and the one on the back is only half on. Its like the crankshaft pulley is too far forward.

The tension bolt is still backed off where I put on the belt and noticed the misalignment.

I'll leave this to you pros....

Don

SVXphile 12-15-2003 04:28 PM

A photo is worth 1000 words...

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the pulley problem. You will notice the one on the front is too far back and the one on the back is only half on. Its like the crankshaft pulley is too far forward.

The tension bolt is still backed off where I put on the belt and noticed the misalignment.

I'll leave this to you pros....Nice leaf huh?

Don