The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Engine question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10079)

want-a-fast-svx 04-16-2003 11:26 AM

Engine question

if i was able to pick up a 95,000 mi. engine with all the seals replaced, timing belt, plugs,intake and exhaust gaskets all done while it was pulled for $800 would that be s marter then trying to fix all the seals and all that stuff on my 77,000 mi engine???seeing as im probably gonna have to have someone do it for me...sound like a good price or should i try to see if i can get it lowre??

mohrds 04-16-2003 11:38 AM

Re: Engine question

Quote:

Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
if i was able to pick up a 95,000 mi. engine with all the seals replaced, timing belt, plugs,intake and exhaust gaskets all done while it was pulled for $800 would that be s marter then trying to fix all the seals and all that stuff on my 77,000 mi engine???seeing as im probably gonna have to have someone do it for me...sound like a good price or should i try to see if i can get it lowre??
Will you install the motor yourself or have it done?

The motor swap is not difficult if you are mechanically inclined and very patient.

On an engine with 77,000 miles on it, I can't imagine it needing anything other than crank and cam seals and cam cover gaskets. That in itself is not that expensive to have done. As far as replacing intake and exhaust gaskets, I wouldn't think your engine would need them.

Doug

svx_commuter 04-16-2003 01:29 PM

That sounds like a great deal to me.

alacrity024 04-16-2003 06:29 PM

if i were you, i'd just buy that motor, fill it up with fluids, seal it off, and let it sit somewhere until someone needs it.. provided it runs strong, that's a valuable little gold nugged with so many people heading towards 200k on their motors.. subaru motors ARE great, but all good things must come to an end sometime..

-adam

ALTERNATIVE:
buy the motor, get your hands on an arc welder, buy some steel tubes, weld yourslf a frame and.. well.. you get the idea :D

thumper_svx 04-16-2003 07:16 PM

Actually, that sounds like an awesome price. I know also that the SVX engine is much sought after in the homebuilt aviation market because it's power to weight ratio is EXCELLENT. It's also got a perfect form-factor for a light aircraft.

There's a few aircraft already out there with SVX engines... a couple of them even have websites if you dig far enough :)

Ahhh... one day...

wawazat?? 04-17-2003 04:35 AM

That's an OK price for the engine, but I'm not sure what your intentions are. Do you mean to get it and swap it with your existing engine? If that is the case, I'd say "why". Your existing engine has fewer miles and seals aren't that expensive. The higher mileage engine will probably need them too.

Now if your goal is to acquire EG33's for future, TBD use, I'd say :cool:.

Todd (owner of two extra EG33's)

svx_commuter 04-17-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thumper_svx
Actually, that sounds like an awesome price. I know also that the SVX engine is much sought after in the homebuilt aviation market because it's power to weight ratio is EXCELLENT. It's also got a perfect form-factor for a light aircraft.

There's a few aircraft already out there with SVX engines... a couple of them even have websites if you dig far enough :)

Ahhh... one day...

Do they add a thrust bearing to the engine for the prop thrust?

wawazat?? 04-17-2003 06:48 AM

From what I've seen John

they typically use a geared reducer drive off the crankshaft.

Todd

want-a-fast-svx 04-17-2003 07:54 AM

the reasoning i had behind looking at the second engine was that mine needs all those seals and the quote from the suby dealer was in the $1300 range for the seals and everything...also this is my dads old car and i know for a fact that there were times he drove w/o knowing there was no oil in the car so i dont know what that may have done to the engine if it had any effect at all..also i figured i could swap them and then try to fix it myself and add any parts i could to increase the performance...The whole question here is with myself and if i think i can conquer the seals on the engine w/o fubaring it...thanks for the help thus far

thumper_svx 04-17-2003 08:13 AM

Re: From what I've seen John

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
they typically use a geared reducer drive off the crankshaft.

Todd

That's correct... and from what I've heard they work pretty well in that capacity. The only problem tends to be cooling the engine... homebuilders have to find somewhere to mount a radiator since most aircraft engines are air-cooled.