The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   very high idle (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41762)

jeffast 11-08-2007 12:40 AM

very high idle

ok so ever since i did the 5 speed swap my car likes to idle at 2k. Every third time or so i drive it it will idle normal. if i shut it off and restart it right away the idle stays high. any one else had this problem any ideas? where to start, other abnormal problems etc.

Dessertrunner 11-08-2007 04:02 AM

I have spent half my life with high idle but seem to be ontop of it pretty well now. In my case it was a number of problems over time not just one. Since your problem started after the gearbox change check the following.
Use a mirror and check under the snorkel to see if the rubber is folded back and leting air in. This is the first place to look.
Check that all the hoses underneath are pluged in and none of the smaller ones like vacum got left off.

See how that goes first.
Tony

jeffast 11-08-2007 03:43 PM

ok so no vaccume leaks. I noticed today that if i drive it till it warms up park it for 5 minutes then get back in and drive it it idles normally around 800-1k. could my cold idle valve be sticking open?

TomsSVX 11-08-2007 03:48 PM

No, this is the result of the 5mt swap. We have been dealing with it for years. Until I can hack a stock ECu with a 5mt in it I really cannot do much to fix it

Tom

SVeXy96 11-08-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 507415)
No, this is the result of the 5mt swap. We have been dealing with it for years. Until I can hack a stock ECu with a 5mt in it I really cannot do much to fix it

Tom

What is stopping you from hacking it? No time? No clue? I don't know anything about ECUs so...?

TomsSVX 11-08-2007 05:22 PM

not time, don't have my ROM reader/writer yet. Plus, I don't have a stock car to work on

Tom

Trevor 11-08-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 507444)
not time, don't have my ROM reader/writer yet. Plus, I don't have a stock car to work on

Tom

Tom,

Have a gander at my last post here:-

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...453#post507453

Cheers, Trevor.

Crazy_pilot 11-08-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 507444)
... I don't have a stock car to work on

Tom

Gee, I'd love to have your problem:D

jeffast 11-08-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 507462)
Gee, I'd love to have your problem:D

+1
arg damn minimum charter count to post

TomsSVX 11-09-2007 04:59 AM

well why don't you try what trevor was suggesting in that link.... Looks to be a good fix

Tom

Dessertrunner 11-09-2007 01:43 PM

I just remembered a simple test to find out if the idle problem is 5 speed related or a physical. Turn you off your enviro system if the car idles with it off then its the 5 speed issue if its doesn't then you have a air leak problem.
Tony

Trevor 11-09-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 507646)
I just remembered a simple test to find out if the idle problem is 5 speed related or a physical. Turn you off your enviro system if the car idles with it off then its the 5 speed issue if its doesn't then you have a air leak problem.
Tony

Tony,

What you are indicating is that the five speed problem does not exist when the enviro/AC system is loading the engine. :confused:

Is this in fact the situation, as this represents an important clue?

Dessertrunner 11-09-2007 07:28 PM

Yes it is very evident, also I think the stall problem is less if you run with the Eviro system off, this is what made me think the valve we are talking about in the other thread is over doing everything looking for a transmission load. I also supect but haven't confirmed that Tom's problem is the ECU is trying to pull the engine back fast so its cutting fuel. Because his engine is more responsive he is feeling the problem more. With the fuel thing I can't see any other choice but to rewrite part of the ECU code which will be real fun. Phil said it appears that the ECU works out a value but then over writes it in a couple of place in the program my guess is this will be Knock Sensor being to high and also the ECU wanting to slow engine fast based of the rate of speed drop and throttle gradient down curve.

huck369 11-11-2007 07:29 AM

Jeff,
I haven't had a high idle problem on any of the 3 5-speed SVX's i'd had/done....except the first one, and it was i had left one of the tubes on the underside of the snorkle loose...installed it, and everything was fine.

I'd keep looking for a vacuum leak...in the Eviromental system...the brake booster, the PCV system...

That's all I got...:confused:

jeffast 11-11-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 507987)
Jeff,
I haven't had a high idle problem on any of the 3 5-speed SVX's i'd had/done....except the first one, and it was i had left one of the tubes on the underside of the snorkle loose...installed it, and everything was fine.

I'd keep looking for a vacuum leak...in the Eviromental system...the brake booster, the PCV system...

That's all I got...:confused:

hey huck what wires do i need to run to the clutch pedal, i think that might be part of my problem.