The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Questions for those with NEW radiators (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5491)

rally 08-20-2002 11:12 AM

Questions for those with NEW radiators

Is the new radiator any better than the original? Is the plastic top still prone to cracks? I searched this site but found no answers. Is the most affordable place to buy from still LibertySubaru.com? Did anything come from the people talking about aluminum radiators?

Thanks in advance...

vkykam 08-20-2002 11:20 AM

Considering the most of the radiator problems seems to be on 92's, they've lasted 10 years.

If you put in a new replacement, and get another 10 years, I certainly would consider it money well spent. :)

I wonder if it's worthwhile for those with 92's right now to re-enforce it somehow before it cracks.

VK

benebob 08-20-2002 12:11 PM

radiators

Mine's a 95 and she's got a crack in her. I've been looking at going with a unifit aluminum rad or trying to but at this point I'd rather spend my money on a new timing belt and all that good stuff underthere. That way a new radiator doesn't have to go through the punishment of changing that stuff.

svxcess 08-20-2002 12:19 PM

I don't know if the top of the new radiator is made up of a different composite material than the original. I replaced mine about 6 months ago and externally it looks exactly the same

The main improvement was the removal of the fine mesh screen in the internal transmission fluid cooler. It modification is supposed to improve flow and eliminate the clogging that bugged the early models.

Ca$h 08-20-2002 01:11 PM

Why not just get an aluminum radiator? I know they're pricey, but considering how $$$ svx parts are to begin with I don't think it'd be that much more, would it?

- Ca$h

svx_commuter 08-20-2002 01:27 PM

I just tried to find a post someone sent me when my radiator died but I can't find it. They said they bought a brand new Toyota radiator over the net for about half the price and it was exactly the same as the original.

I use Liberty Subaru as it is close by to where I work.

dromano 08-20-2002 02:21 PM

Re: radiators

When you change your timing belt the best thing you can do for your radiator is remove it--plus you have better room to work on the front of the engine.:)

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Mine's a 95 and she's got a crack in her. I've been looking at going with a unifit aluminum rad or trying to but at this point I'd rather spend my money on a new timing belt and all that good stuff underthere. That way a new radiator doesn't have to go through the punishment of changing that stuff.

dromano 08-20-2002 02:26 PM

Re: Questions for those with NEW radiators

Quote:

Originally posted by rally
Is the new radiator any better than the original? Is the plastic top still prone to cracks? I searched this site but found no answers. Is the most affordable place to buy from still LibertySubaru.com? Did anything come from the people talking about aluminum radiators?

Thanks in advance...

Have you checked with this company? griffinrad.com
An SVXer was going to have a radiator made by them

vkykam 08-20-2002 07:30 PM

I remember e-mail with this fellow, and from what I had recall, it wasn't an exact fit, but he fab'd it somehow. It was for a Celica, I believe.

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
I just tried to find a post someone sent me when my radiator died but I can't find it. They said they bought a brand new Toyota radiator over the net for about half the price and it was exactly the same as the original.

I use Liberty Subaru as it is close by to where I work.

rally 08-21-2002 08:11 AM

Re: Re: Questions for those with NEW radiators

Quote:

Originally posted by dromano

Have you checked with this company? griffinrad.com
An SVXer was going to have a radiator made by them

Here is the response from Griffin, obviously the other SVX owner did not work with them:

Thank you for inquiring with us at Griffin. Your Subaru radiator would
be a custom design for our company. In order to produce or quote you a
price, we need an original sample or a drawing of the radiator sent to us
with all necessary dimensions.

----------

Anyone know where I can get a good drawing with all the specs?

svx_commuter 08-21-2002 11:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Questions for those with NEW radiators

Quote:

Originally posted by rally

Here is the response from Griffin, obviously the other SVX owner did not work with them:

Thank you for inquiring with us at Griffin. Your Subaru radiator would
be a custom design for our company. In order to produce or quote you a
price, we need an original sample or a drawing of the radiator sent to us
with all necessary dimensions.

----------

Anyone know where I can get a good drawing with all the specs?

I have a radiator that has BIG split in it. Where are these guys located? After I check shipping charges I might be able to send it.

John

rally 08-21-2002 11:11 AM

Phone: 1-800-722-3723
Fax: 864-845-5001

Griffin Thermal Products
100 Hurricane Creek Rd.
Piedmont, SC 29673

svx_commuter 08-21-2002 11:27 AM

That's a ways a way. If Larry III comes to Kelli's this weekend I can pass it to him.

Anyone south of Delaware that could pick it up from him?

Ca$h 08-21-2002 11:35 AM

If you have an old one you could just measure it. They'd probably need the general dimensions and where the radiator hoses attach, along with the diameter of the hose. And how it mounts. I couldn't see them really needing anything else.

- Ca$h

PS: A cheaper way would be to look for a car with a radiator similar to an SVXs, and just order one from Griffon, and mod it so it bolts in somehow. :| Custom is $$$. I know a guy who had one done for his neon.

svx_commuter 08-21-2002 01:06 PM

I spent some time at a salavage yard looking for one. The guy said that the hose connection is 'Unusual" at the top as it comes out at an angle.

I would rather send it to them so they could match it up, tube number and all that, also the tranny cooler. I noticed that the svx radiator is thicker than most others I looked at. The mounting stubs also have to be the same so that the rubber bushings can hold it in place.