The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dead gauges, drivers power seatbelt and window switches! HELP! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50828)

Johnybeas 07-02-2009 04:20 PM

Dead gauges, drivers power seatbelt and window switches! HELP!

Ok so I just installed my new Avic f900bt into my svx and had run the wiring for the neons. Neons didn't work so all that got disconnected and everything taped off, but the deck was working wonderfully and the car was running awesome for a day and a half after I got it all back together.

Then POOF while driving down the road the speedometer and tack and engine temp all went to 0 and didn't move, gas gauge reads fine and lights to the gauges still work, and the hvac didn't work anymore either.

I was confused, drove it home assuming it was probably because I had to tap into the speedo wire in the harness that goes into the hvac so after taking it home I noticed also that the window switch no longer worked and then the auto seatbelt went forward and will no longer come back.

So first thing I checked was all the fuses in both fuse locations. All were good. Next I pulled out everything again and noticed that the wire for the little white plug on the back of the hvac had somehow become severed, so I replaced that with the one from a spare hvac I had. Tested it, nope nothing worked.

So then I pulled out the stereo and checked to make sure nothing was loose and grounding it's self where it shouldn't be. I also disconnected the wire to the speedo wire. And anything that could have possibly been connected to a ground that didn't need to be (aka anything left from the neons) still no luck.

So then I pulled the gauges out made sure nothing was in the way of the gauges connecting fully to the plugs behind it, nope everything was good.

So I'm lost! I can't drive my car because the gauges aren't working the seatbelt won't come back and I can't use the drivers window controls! someone please tell me what it is or at least point me in the right direction!?

Thanks in advance!

redlightningsvx 07-02-2009 04:25 PM

Re: Dead gauges, drivers power seatbelt and window switches! HELP!

You might have fried something in the ECU that's specific to the related stuff since it does control everything you mentioned about the gauges and HVAC. Also check the circuit board sheet on the back of the gauge cluster and make sure that none of the ribbons are fried. If they are I have a good extra cluster for parts.

Johnybeas 07-02-2009 05:48 PM

how do I tell if the gauge circuit board sheet has fried parts?? Also how do I check if it's the ECU??? Other than putting my hydra in, but I don't wanna fry my hydra, that would be a huge loss!

redlightningsvx 07-02-2009 07:27 PM

You can check the circuit board for fried parts just by looking at the gold lines untill you see one thats curled up.

Johnybeas 07-03-2009 12:21 AM

I'll pull it out and look tomorrow, anyone have any idea how to check if the ecu is bad???

Johnybeas 07-07-2009 12:03 PM

well it turned out to be a fuse that didn't completely blow originally, and still showed good when I checked it the first time, but when checked a second time it was blown. I replaced the fuse and waaabam it worked! :) so pretty soon I'm gonna be putting in the hydra! woot!