The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A new goody for our trannys? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16738)

greg 02-25-2004 07:40 PM

A new goody for our trannys?

Hey you guys,
My car has been in the shop for a very long time due to the fact I have the best mechanic in the entire world! He is soooo through because he has fallen in love with my car and is now in the market for one.

Meanwhile as he is doing his final 200 point inspection (I am slowly restoring the entire car because of the idiots at my local Subaru store destroying my baby) He noticed the aftermarket tranny cooler. He is very observant, upon his test drive he noticed the gearing and the weight of the car. He gave that some thought and called me after some research. He asked me if I would mind him replacing the Tranny cooler? (after spending serval thousand dollars there this visit he even offered to pay for the new cooler and labor himself) But anyway, this new cooler is a heavy duty cooler that has a built in electrical fan... This sounds like just the thing for our cars. Any input would be welcome! I would love to be a guinnie pig if you guys think it is a good idea!:p

~G:D

Seraph 02-25-2004 07:48 PM

GO for it.

immortal_suby 02-25-2004 08:02 PM

Sounds cool - how big is it and where will he put it?
I have a cooler w/ electric fan for my tranny in the drivers side wheel well. I have the same setup on my wife's car. Pics in my locker.

greg 02-25-2004 08:14 PM

I have not seen it yet, he just ordered it this week and I am not sure when it will be here. I never rush him, he seems relaxed and more through that way. As for where it will go, I have no idea. I was hoping it would go somewhere up front where the one that is there now.

~G:confused:

kmin 02-26-2004 11:03 AM

is it really necessary?

Just wondering if the fan is really necessary? Wouldn't an aftermarket tranny cooler work okay, unless you're always driving through the desert or something? :) guess prevention's better than cure?

mbtoloczko 02-26-2004 11:48 AM

Some people have installed the fan-cooled tranny coolers. Usually the coolers are installed in the fender-well because the combination of fan and cooler is too thick to fit in the region of the radiator. You'll definitely want to find out where he intends to install it and how he intends to get fresh air flowing over it. You'll also want to find out if he is going to put an ATF temperature sensitive switch on the fan.

greg 02-26-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Some people have installed the fan-cooled tranny coolers. Usually the coolers are installed in the fender-well because the combination of fan and cooler is too thick to fit in the region of the radiator. You'll definitely want to find out where he intends to install it and how he intends to get fresh air flowing over it. You'll also want to find out if he is going to put an ATF temperature sensitive switch on the fan.
Thanks for the questions and comments, I will see him tomorrow and ask about the location and the sensor on the fan.

~G